2017 vw sportwagon 6at performance/reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys alot of you may have seen my thread where I am trying to score a 2017 sportwagon 5mt. I am still trying to get that car, which is 5 hours away, but today I started looking at possibly getting a 6at local. If I did, a part of me will die without a clutch pedal but at least my wife can drive it too (she is learning to,drive stick on my 2009 matrix but it's not second nature yet). My questions I guess are about reliability and performance. I don't think the 2017 tsi s has the dsg but I'm not sure, anyone know more about the unit in this model? Coming from manual shifting I will be interested in the sequential mode. My wife's hyundai veloster has this but it feels sluggish and unalive. Is the vw going to,be better, faster, crisper? If I'm going to paddle shift I would prefer it to shift like a GT3 race car, lol ( I know, wishful thinking). I guess I'm really just hunting any info to justify a automatic/sequential purchase should the tampa deal fall through. Talk me into or out of it, any info will be helpful. Thanks.

More expensive to acquire and maintain, and will fail sooner.

Its not rocket science to drive an MT. Its just more control and offers the opportunity to drive more efficiently and effectively. Also you appreciate physics more. Go with the MT!

Regular MK7 (2015+) Sportwagens have a 6AT, an Aisin unit, I believe. Golf/GSW 1.8 TSI get the 5spd manual

GTI, TDI, and Alltrack/4motion (AWD) Sportwagens get the 6MT or 6 DSG.

6AT pros: no $400 service every 40k like the DSG. Gets full 200 ft lb rating (vs 5MT). Can tune without upgrading.

6AT cons: 5MT gets slightly better mpg in real world reporting (~1-2mpg)
missing third pedal

5MT pros: 'real' transmission. Tall gearing. Great mpg. Hopefully low maintenance/reliable.

5MT cons: Tall gearing - not much oomph after 2nd gear, unless you're going fast in third. 184 lb ft from engine. Tune is likely to cause clutch slippage.

Just quickly off the top of my head.
I'm quite happy with my 5MT, but was tempted to try an auto for once. If it has Mazda's 6AT in it, I likely would have. That seems to be the highest rated non-DSG auto, in this price range.

If it's a DSG, don't walk away, run away.

I had one in a 2004 and my aunt has one in a 2013. Flywheel was replaced twice in the 2004, and it still chattered.

The 2013 occasionally chatters and downshifts into 1st gear roughly.

VW is buying it back soon.

The newer DSG's are said to offer much better reliability. The Veloster's dual clutch unit was Hyundai's first foray into this technology so when i bought mine, it had to be a MT. Drive the DSG and see if you like it. As many have mentioned already, it will be more maintenance than the MT.

But just to be clear here, the 2017 tsi s isn't dsg right? Is the aisin 6at going to sequential shift like a GT3 race car? Humor of course but I want someone to say yes!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
But just to be clear here, the 2017 tsi s isn't dsg right? Is the aisin 6at going to sequential shift like a GT3 race car? Humor of course but I want someone to say yes!

Correct the non AWD Sportwagen gets an Aisin 6AT. All the above posts seemed to have skipped that point.

I do believe the 6AT comes with paddle shifters in USA models. Not 100% sure, but I remember some Canucks complaining that their 6ATs didn't get them, while USA did (for 2015-2016 models). Verify in person, though.

and a thread discussing paddle shifters in the GSW
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8036290-Convince-me-Help-me

So, I believe you can pretend you have a GT3, with only a slushbox
wink.gif

Over the years I've purchased three new VWs: a 1977 Scirocco, a 2000 Jetta and a 2003 Jetta. All were MT. I don't think that you can say VW and reliability in the same sentence. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I don't think that you can say VW and reliability in the same sentence.
Fact

My VW GTI is my favorite car I've ever owned, despite it not being the most reliable. Nick1994 bashes VW in every VW related topic on the board.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My VW GTI is my favorite car I've ever owned, despite it not being the most reliable. Nick1994 bashes VW in every VW related topic on the board.

Everyone has to have a hobby.

All of my VWs have been a pleasure to own.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Nick1994 bashes VW in every VW related topic on the board.

Maybe you can re-read my post. I never once bashed VW. I said if it has a DSG, don't buy it.

If this post was about a 2002 Honda Accord V6, I would have said if it is an automatic, don't buy it.

If this post was about a 2000 Chevy Malibu, I would have said if it has a 3.1L, don't buy it.

If this post was about a 2008 Nissan Altima, I would have said if it has a CVT, don't buy it.

If this post was about a 2002 Subaru, I would have said if it hasn't had the head gaskets replaced, don't buy it.

If this post was about a 2005 Toyota Matrix, I would have said if it has a manual transmission, don't buy it.

The point is, not all of my VW posts are bashing VW.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I don't think that you can say VW and reliability in the same sentence.
Fact

Yep, true. It's a real shame, too, because the cars have a lot of character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back