Editing your post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier today, I uploaded a UOA and forgot to redact my personal info.

I've looked high and low (perhaps not high nor low enough) for how to edit the post to delete the image to no avail.

What am I missing? Is this an admin option only?

Last edited by a moderator:
For some strange reason this site does not allow edits after 5 mins or so. Other sites allow infinite editing privileges, so you can change information that is wrong.

Some sites prefer to do it this way so you can't state one opinion or supposed "fact" one time out, and then later go back and totally change your mind by editing a post to save face or reduce the heat in the kitchen. There is something to be said for being consistent in what you state/post. A number of times I've stated something obviously wrong and didn't catch it until the edit function was locked. At that point your only option is to quote the earlier post and explain your error....or just weather the storm of corrections that is soon to follow.
shocked.gif

Some people like to go back and change or edit their earlier statements and then claim they never said that. The ones that read it know differently. If the proof is gone it becomes a he said, she said. Be sure you read your post carefully for content before sending it.

There are two schools of thought regarding edits of posts.

One, is people might edit and change the entire meaning of the post, after others have posted in rebuttal or comment. That is bad form.

Two, is people should be allowed to correct inadvertently wrong or poorly expressed (including spelling) posts.

The ideal, of course, is some happy medium. I think 30 minutes is common but I suppose 15 minutes is at least somewhat forgiving.

The problem I see with the limits is people must create a post in a window of limited size (in the case of BITOG, 10 lines tall). That does not allow someone to see "the big picture" in a post, so he or she is required to post it, then read it for errors, then correct them in the allotted time. I always check for syntax and spelling so I almost always edit a post after posting.

I don't use automated spelling checkers as they are pure [censored], changing the meaning of words when they should simply correct spelling only. But like all computerized applications, they are as dumb as sticks and can only do what their programmers tell them to, and programmers can't spell either. So it's a problem. Still, it's not onerous and I can live with it.

The good news in this is the OP will probably remember the lesson and no longer make the same error, or do as so many people do and post their eMail addresses online. So all good, then. Remember that everything you post online, every eMail message you send, every text message you create, and every phone number you dial is recorded and kept forever, somewhere. So don't post/text/create stuff you would not want sent to your wife or read aloud in open court, and you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
The good news in this is the OP will probably remember the lesson and no longer make the same error, or do as so many people do and post their eMail addresses online. So all good, then. Remember that everything you post online, every eMail message you send, every text message you create, and every phone number you dial is recorded and kept forever, somewhere. So don't post/text/create stuff you would not want sent to your wife or read aloud in open court, and you will be fine.

Well said!

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
The problem I see with the limits is people must create a post in a window of limited size (in the case of BITOG, 10 lines tall). That does not allow someone to see "the big picture" in a post, so he or she is required to post it, then read it for errors, then correct them in the allotted time. I always check for syntax and spelling so I almost always edit a post after posting.

When you post from a PC, the size of the posting window is adjustable. Also, there is a "Preview Post" button to let you see how your post will appear in its entirety before you hit the "Submit" button.

Originally Posted By: Globalksp
And yea, the inability to edit is an odd choice.

Limited editing is quite reasonable. All infinite edits would do is turn a bunch of threads into an unreadable mess. Mods edit threads as carefully as they can already, so as not to destroy them, if at all possible. Any participant being able to edit at will would be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back