NYT Article: Is America over the Whole Car Thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
America may well be, but we've over the newspaper and radio eras too. Things come and go.

But I don't see automobiles doing so, not any time too soon. Sales may flatten out. But too much of the country lives outside the city limits. As long as gas stays cheap I plan to stay outside the city too.

If Elio motors gets going America will have a 2 person car that gets over 80 mpg. Insurance for it should be pretty cheap if the OTD price is under 8K.

The NY Slime just sold off 8 floors of their headquarters building to stay afloat. They paid 1.2 BILLION for the Boston Globe-Democrat and sold it a few years later for 77 million. I wouldn't take their 'business advice' for anything bigger than a kool aid stand. Their biggest shareholder is the Mexican owner of the Mexican cell service monopoly. Funny, the new President Elect just had a meeting with him. The elite at the NYT must be mighty puzzled at that.

Not only no, but heck no.

Consider the source: NYT??? Consider the city: LA? NY?

Who says the US should revolve around NY, much less NYT? The Progressive movement wants people out of cars and onto mass-transit. Has for years. That's their vision of the future. However, not all cities are NY, LA, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, etc. Very high density development. Not enough space.

Mass migration continues AWAY from these areas towards the South West.

Yess, Iam sure everyone wants to give up their cars to ride in a Urine and vomit fumigated rail car or train system run by overpaid hacks.

Go ask people in Boston what they thought 2 winters ago, when half the rail system broke down because of the cold and snow and 60% of the schedule was cancelled because of the ineptness of the T. Oh the President of the T at the time was some lady from Atlanta who didnt have a clue what was going on, maybe because she was "politcal" hire who didnt know what snow was and ddint want to do maintenance to the signals on the lines or maintain equipment.

had friends who live down there cursing because 20 minute ride became a 4 hr ordeal every night for a month!

Well I see Millennials as viewing a car as something that can get you from point A to point B. They do not take pride in it, its just a thing. Probably get more excited about a new espresso maker.

In my latter teens (around 1969) most guys knew the make and model of most cars from how they looked, and knew what engines they would likely have.

I have only 2 daughters, maybe if I had a son I would see more into what guys think of cars today.

I think in well populated areas, sure a car is becoming more of a liability and personal ownership isn't as important. Especially once cars get autonomous, then an electric fleet will solve the "last mile" problem and be useful for short trips, much like a taxi is now but much cheaper.
For folks out in the sticks like me though, a personal car isn't going to disappear soon, but again once cars are autonomous, building an electric with lots of range with less crash protection becomes easier to do.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Well I see Millennials as viewing a car as something that can get you from point A to point B. They do not take pride in it, its just a thing. Probably get more excited about a new espresso maker.

In my latter teens (around 1969) most guys knew the make and model of most cars from how they looked, and knew what engines they would likely have.

I have only 2 daughters, maybe if I had a son I would see more into what guys think of cars today.

You're very correct. There are still some Millennial car buffs but not like when we were 20 years old.

Overall, the NYT article is dead on correct. This younger generation doesn't aspire to own cars the way the older generations did. A lot more of the Millennials are moving back to the cities after the white-flight of their grandparents or great-granparents away from them.

They crunch the math and if an Uber is the same price as owning a car, they are going to use Uber. They don't mind mass-transit.

If the traffic here in Portland, OR is any clue then no, not even close to over the automobile. Public transportation hasn't done anything to reduce the traffic and has only detracted away from investment in infrastructure. Even though the bicycle and public transportation use may be increasing, so is the population which is causing increased congestion. A vast majority of people still drive to work (and drive by themselves at that). The investment in bike lanes has been a waste of money and shows the poor planning by our ignorant local govts.

I think this idea of Millennials as "experience seekers" versus owners is in good part true. I don't doubt that Millennials also embrace the idea of self-driving cars to a greater extent than the general populace...which to me is a horrible concept independent of safety benefits or anything else attributed to it bolstering its viability. They likely don't feel that way...

New York City? Yeah, they're over cars because they are expensive to park and hardly used.

Rural America? No way. Try commuting 50 miles in the countryside without a vehicle.

NYC is not the rest of the country, not by a long shot.

Cars were the outward expression of a persons freedom in older generations. So it only makes sense that as freedoms get gobbled up by big brother the youngsters lurking in their habitrails and express their freedom in the virtual world. They virtually don't know what they're missing out on.

At least for the people I know this is mostly true. They all refuse to buy cars and either bum rides off of the one person they know who does have a car, or take public transportation, Uber or a taxi.

It could also have to do with most of them not having a job. They just want to have fun and don't want careers or to own anything, they're kind of hipsterish.

I'm not like them though, I have a career that requires me to work in the next state so I commute 30 minutes of (no traffic ever, all highway). I almost took a new job in the city but declined their offer, if I did take that job I'd have to commute into the city entirely by bus which would suck. My car wouldn't see any use until the weekends.

Some of my co-workers want self-driving cars. I'm too old fashioned. I want to have a career, own my car (one or more) and I want to drive it. I can't ever see myself using any ride-sharing service and I severely dislike public transportation. Most people in my area either don't want a car, want to lease a car and don't care about their cars. I'm the only one on my block that details their car and does their own maintenance and repairs on their car. Neighbors look at me like I'm mentally ill for doing my own oil changes.

Irresponsible journalism. All of my daughter's friends have and want cars - and not cheap beaters and/or hand-me-downs like me and my friends used to drive. One of the millennials at my work has a Porsche, a GTR, a Camaro, and an Evo. Those are all his, not his parents. Yes, Zip, Lyft, and Uber are currently popular - yet oddly just modernized versions of a rental car and cabs.

Can't do that in rural America. Owning a car represents freedom to me and I want to be free to go where I want whenever I want to without relying on somebody else's vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Rural America? No way. Try commuting 50 miles in the countryside without a vehicle.

To play devil's advocate, when gas prices shot up, people drove less. Today it's common to argue about how poor our roads are. An easy fix would be to raise gas taxes so as to pay for road repairs. Add in the ever-increasing cost of vehicle purchase, and it would seem that the idyllic dream of living in the country yet doing one's shopping and employment in a city may become less dreamed about.

Originally Posted By: Donald
In Ottawa many people use "mass transit" that is a frozen canal and they skate to work.

I've only skated to work a few times, and I still have to find a place to park my car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back