Mobil 1 0w40 7708 miles '01 Volvo V70XC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the new 0w40 formulation with only three builders approvals listed on the back of the jug. The older sample shown is Mobil 1 5w30 HM. Note the very minimal difference in viscosity.

01 V70XC-161218.jpg

Those are great results!

I've had very good results with the same oil in the same engine. Stick with that 0W40!

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Must have been about a quart of the old 5w-30 HM in that UOA as magnesium shouldn't show up in M1 0w-40 at more than approx 15 ppm.

Okay - you caught me. The truth be told this sample consisted of five quarts of M1 0w40 and one quart of M1 5w30 HM.

I was relieved to see this UOA. With the horror stories I've read about PCV problems in Volvos, I was concerned that my 7500mi oci with Castrol 0W40 in our '03 V70 2.4T might be contributing to sludging up the PCV system. I feel better about it now, but still need to get the pcv system serviced soon. Car is approaching 170K miles, and I don't think it's ever been done.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Must have been about a quart of the old 5w-30 HM in that UOA as magnesium shouldn't show up in M1 0w-40 at more than approx 15 ppm.

Okay - you caught me. The truth be told this sample consisted of five quarts of M1 0w40 and one quart of M1 5w30 HM.

Thanks for explaining that difference. I was just figuring it was due to old oil left behind from the previous oil change. Didn't think you were mixing fresh 5 qts + 1 qt. Very different add packs between the M1 0w-40 and their 20/30 grades. Because of that, I don't like to mix them. But like you, I have a 6 qt engine and always need 1 jug + 1 quart. So you either buy 5 jugs for 4 oil changes or toss in leftover quarts of "something" during each OCI.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Flash point is way down, so I'm sure there's a fair bit of fuel in it, so that, plus the 5w-30 in the mix, definitely works to explain the viscosity loss.

Obviously fuel dilution occurs in these 2 UOA's.

The results look good, unfortunately it also appears the Mobil bean counters have indeed gotten to the 0w40 that was the darling of BITOG for several years. Same thing with their HM oil prior to that.

Before somebody gets their undies in a wad, as a SOPUS fan I have noted with distress they have tinkered with several of their oils in the last year and not in a good way IMO.

Ironically it's Castrol who appears to have opened up the goodie box and has been loading up their oils in the last two years.

Never the less, good results here.

Originally Posted By: THX1138
I was relieved to see this UOA. With the horror stories I've read about PCV problems in Volvos, I was concerned that my 7500mi oci with Castrol 0W40 in our '03 V70 2.4T might be contributing to sludging up the PCV system. I feel better about it now, but still need to get the pcv system serviced soon. Car is approaching 170K miles, and I don't think it's ever been done.

I learned very well in my light turbo charged cars: if I use only fully synthetic oil (Group III/III+ at least) => no worries about the healthy/clean condition of the throttle body or PCV system. I tested and works it with Mobil1 0W40, Mobil Super 3000 5W40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back