ask best used truck for daily drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
hallo Bitog,

i will move to US on feb 2017 for school and work..i have 10K dollar and i wanna buy used truck (because the money not enough for new truck), it is oke whether light to mid-size or full-size truck as long as it is doable to drive and have maybe for next 5 years.

do you all have some or best trucks offer or suggestion? and for that money, what year should be good enough for truck?

thank you very much, i need so many opinions here
laugh.gif

With fuel prices low (for now) - I find light trucks over priced. Why does it have to be a pickup ?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
what part of the country do you intend to reside in?

i will live in Texas
laugh.gif

10K should easily cover a nice, low miles 4 cyl stick Ford Ranger with some change left.
These seem to be the pick of the litter among lower end trucks.
Decent fuel economy as well.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
With fuel prices low (for now) - I find light trucks over priced. Why does it have to be a pickup ?

because i love roadtrip, once a month, i am gonna visit my uncle in Florida, i will live in Texas
laugh.gif
so i think in my opinion, sedan type will not suitable for me..but i will keep every possibility having any car instead truck
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
10K should easily cover a nice, low miles 4 cyl stick Ford Ranger with some change left.

i prefer diesel engine..can you tell me where i can find good dealer or any website that sell used truck?

Buying a used diesel truck invites waaay more trouble than a gas one. They've pretty much all been turned into "bro-dozers" and are so popular now I can't imagine someone getting rid of a "good" one.

Most diesels are very large trucks - sites like CarGurus.com will show you what is out there - but you will find these 2500/250 series trucks expensive even with 100k-200k on the clock.

Originally Posted By: nyumski
because i love roadtrip, once a month, i am gonna visit my uncle in Florida, i will live in Texas
laugh.gif
so i think in my opinion, sedan type will not suitable for me..but i will keep every possibility having any car instead truck
laugh.gif

Coming to America and buying a truck just because, I love it. I'm a big fan of the current generation Frontiers, which go back to 2005. Stick with 08+ though. I had an 07' Nismo extended cab that I did several 1,000 miles runs in, it was quite comfortable. If you kept it below 75 I could squeeze 17-18mpg out of the 4.0 V6. With as many cities (and trucks!) in Texas finding one in your budget shouldn't be a big hassle.

i prefer diesel engine..can you tell me where i can find good dealer or any website that sell used truck?

Youre not. While in the rest of the world, diesel is incredibly popular in small engines, returning instant torque and excellent fuel economy, do gooders waged a war on diesel, and youre just not going to find it. Diesel pickups these days cost near $50k new, and any used that you find will be well used.

Id seriously rethink your budget and buying options. Wanting a truck just because is nice, but will you know anyone? Will you be aware of who will service it when things go wrong? Will you have the capability to do repairs yourself?

All the smaller trucks are either overpriced (tacoma) or long in the tooth (ranger/S-10). The Nissan Frontier may bean exception, but you need to find a good one.

IMO, youll be able to find a low mileage domestic sedan that has lower acquisition cost and maintenance/repair costs than a truck. Id leave your options open.

$10k just isnt a lot of money, opening you up to repairs or a dubious quality vehicle.

Trust me, you don't want to buy a used diesel pickup in the US.
The only diesels you'll find for 10K will be either very old or very well used or both.
These are also at least 3/4 ton trucks, which may not be ideal from either a ride comfort or fuel economy standpoint.
US market diesel light trucks are not the fuel economy specials you'll find in other markets.

Step 1 : get a drivers license.

Texas is a state of pickup trucks and demand is high. I would buy one in your visit to Florida from a retired person that upgrades every so many years just because.

Below your budget a 2003+ Chevrolet 1500 series with the 5.3 V8. Plenty of power, lasts 300K+ miles and ride like a caddy.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Step 1 : get a drivers license.

Texas is a state of pickup trucks and demand is high. I would buy one in your visit to Florida from a retired person that upgrades every so many years just because.

Below your budget a 2003+ Chevrolet 1500 series with the 5.3 V8. Plenty of power, lasts 300K+ miles and ride like a caddy.

i have my international drivers license..i will use it until it expires

hmm seems like with 10k doesnt have many choice of good trucks ( i mean low mileage and quite new), i have been checking and yes it is very old and high mileage.

so guys maybe which car i should buy for 10k ? i still dont know the situation there.

If you don't mind buying a 10 to 15 year old truck, here in Arkansas, just outside of Texas, you could buy 2 nice trucks for that price. Mid 2000's Ford F150's and my preference would be a mid 2000's Toyota or Nissan. 10k dollars should net you a pretty nice late 2000's truck in the area. Diesel will be a little harder to find and command a much higher price. Also, due to the prices of fuel, a diesel won't save much money over a gas engine and cost a lot more on the front end. Trucks here are so reliable, I wouldn't buy a Diesel for that reason either. We have plenty of 300k mile trucks driving around as work trucks and not skipping a beat.

In the US, small diesel engines in trucks are just starting to be used, and are more expensive than your budget. For your price you will be able to purchase a gasoline engine, older truck. There are many dealers, and an internet search will help.

In your situation you could try using Autotrader ( http://www.autotrader.com/?LNX=TRKTRDSPLLINK ) to find a vehicle. Good luck with your purchase; the more information you can give about location the more help we can give.

Diesel trucks over here are not a good deal for a whole variety of valid reasons. Expense and maintenance costs make them unworthy unless you haul heavy trailers all the time. Besides the gas engines have become so close in power that diesel is nt much necessary. Gas engines are easily lasting nearly as long as many diesels too considering everything.
Also unlike Europe diesel is not at all common by numbers built. They just aren't mainstream and that will cost you plenty, remember this ain't europe so gas is cheaper just the opposite of Europe and by the same amount. Since you've never been here and you really don't know your way around I would suggest hop a bus or catch a cheap flight over your uncles place in Florida and go wandering around with him over there looking for trucks. You'll find just about as many that aren't rotted away as Texas. Just beware of rotted frame trucks that somebody brought down from up north. You'll find a lot of those kicking around the people got rid of after they move down there but there are plenty of good ones around in one good look will tell you exactly what you need to know. Take your time look around make a fun time of it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
what part of the country do you intend to reside in?

i will live in Texas
laugh.gif

Great! Which major city area? Then I can give some recommendations...

As others have said, stay away from a diesel truck, they're in such high demand you'll spend 10K on a piece of junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back