Amsoil 20w-40 VTwin vs. Victory 20w-40 semi syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
This report is from my first run of Amsoil 20w-40 V-twin synthetic in my Victory Cross Country Tour. The two previous samples on the report are Victory-brand semi-syn oil. As you'll note, the wear metals have decreased slightly, but I can't say for sure it is resulting from the Amsoil--it could be an extension of the downward trend in wear metals as the engine "matures". In my opinion, the Victory oil seems to be as good (within the margin of error) as the Amsoil in this particular application. I'll continue to run the Amsoil, as I can get it cheaper than the Victory stuff. NOTE: oil filter used was a NAPA Gold, and during the two runs of Victory oil it was the Victory OEM filter.

Thoughts?

Victory Kept the TBN better in both runs, even with 10% more mileage in a higher metal sheading breakin engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
Victory Kept the TBN better in both runs, even with 10% more mileage in a higher metal sheading breakin engine.

While the UOA's provide us with interesting information and wear characteristics, there would have to be significantly more data sets from each oil to even begin to identify trends in wear before drawing conclusions about which oil performed better than another.

Oil formulated with calcium based detergents generally have a higher TBN depletion rate that of magnesium based detergents or combinations (cal/mag); hence higher TBN retention with increased mileage in the Victory oil.

Chevron Oronite TBN Retention SAE Report

1st off didn't know Amsoil was making a 20W-40, so that is good that they are. But the the additive spread on this formulation doesn't look very impressive to me, and what happened to Amsoil's usually high Calcium level? Why have they cut back on Calcium so much for this oil?

They've had the 20w-40 V-Twin out for a few years, marketed to Victory / Indian customers. I don't see anything neither particularly bad nor outstanding with the Amsoil--it seems to be similar in performance to the Victory oil, and a little less expensive to obtain. I'm not concerned about the calcium content as it doesn't seem to affect it's real-world performance, and given the low wear numbers and decent TBN, I'd run it longer if I needed to. I drained the oil on this OCI, put new Amsoil in the sump, and used another NAPA Gold filter. Here's a link to the oil: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/motorcycle/20w-40-synthetic-v-twin-motorcycle-oil/

Happy New Year! --Rob

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
1st off didn't know Amsoil was making a 20W-40, so that is good that they are. But the the additive spread on this formulation doesn't look very impressive to me, and what happened to Amsoil's usually high Calcium level? Why have they cut back on Calcium so much for this oil?

Does Victory recommend using 20w-40? Being that it is an air cooled V-Twin I would have thought they recommend 20w-50.

Yes, Victory calls for a 20/40.

I know this is a UOA from last month. After looking at the results, scientific or not, its clear Amsoil did a good job with wear numbers. HOWEVER, I agree, one "test" is not enough, it can vary even by the outdoor temperatures the oil was run in. But, looks like its more then safe to use in this engine, assuming the Amsoil meets the proper classification.

One obvious difference is the Victory oil, just like Harley oil is formulated towards the Heavy Duty Engine Oil (gas and diesel) compared to the Amsoil oil which is more like a plain gasoline automotive oil.
I suspect, like Harley and Indian, Victory is also concerned about engine deposits and why its closer to a HEDO/Diesel/gas oil.

Last edited:
Amsoil's "synthetic" 20-40 is good put prolly a cheaper group III highly refined CRUDE oil. Amsoil seems to have downgraded their formulations + their refusal to answer simple formulation questions affirms that!! as far as 20-40 specific Victory has listed THEIR 15-60 "synthetic" for approved use!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back