Easily scratched windshield.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Accord, has SO many scratches on the windshield. Most are from wiper use, but they aren't only the little hair thin scratches, they are large and visible in all lighting so its very annoying. Im sure this is normal now with manufacturers pinching pennies.

Some insurance will replace if bad enough. We have so much road consruction that not getting a big chip in 4 years with the thinner glass not cracking with weather extremes is getting rare IMO.

Got any pics? Not so sure that's normal.

My 1994 Ranger has scratches like that on the probably 15+ year old PPG windshield, but that's from mud, not normal wear and tear. My 2002 truck has a Pilkington that's coming up on 4 years old and just has some pits as far as wear. There is a rock chip that has been there almost two years without growing, but no wiper scratches to speak of.

Were the scratches there when you bought it, or is this recent? Is the windshield OEM or an aftermarket replacement? Some replacements are better than others.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Got any pics? Not so sure that's normal.

My 1994 Ranger has scratches like that on the probably 15+ year old PPG windshield, but that's from mud, not normal wear and tear. My 2002 truck has a Pilkington that's coming up on 4 years old and just has some pits as far as wear. There is a rock chip that has been there almost two years without growing, but no wiper scratches to speak of.

Were the scratches there when you bought it, or is this recent? Is the windshield OEM or an aftermarket replacement? Some replacements are better than others.

Windshield is OEM, and scratches were there when I purchased the car a year or so ago. Has only gotten slightly worse.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Windshield is OEM, and scratches were there when I purchased the car a year or so ago. Has only gotten slightly worse.

I suspect then that something abrasive got on the windshield, and the wipers were used with it on there. Scratches like you describe are not normal wear and tear on a 2012 car with average/low miles.

Previous owner was probably one of those idiots you see driving down the road with the wipers on max 15 minutes after it stopped raining or had them on max when it was barely raining.

State Farm uses Guardian Glass in my area for replacement windshields. I made the mistake of using cheap no-name aftermarket glass on my old Impala and it was wavy. There seems to be a lot of disparity in quality of glass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
State Farm uses Guardian Glass in my area for replacement windshields. I made the mistake of using cheap no-name aftermarket glass on my old Impala and it was wavy. There seems to be a lot of disparity in quality of glass.

There is, and a lot of GM cars use double laminated glass in the front for sound deadening, and a lot of the cheap aftermarket stuff isn't.

Doesn't sound normal to me. I've never had a windshield that got significantly scratched, especially at that age, even in Pennsylvania where there is a lot of road salt dust. It sounds like the scratches might be too big and deep to polish out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back