Radiator 02 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my 2002 Honda Accord v6 with 215K miles on the radiator started to leak at the top of the radiator. So I get one that is made in CHINA from AAP... I wanted to get a DENSO or a KOYORAD but they did not have one in stock and I needed one right then so I went with he car-quest one.. Plus I got 40% of with Advance online with the online discount code..

Also I only use HONDA TYPE 2 BLUE Coolant....

So its only been like 1 month and the new radiator is just starting to seep coolant through the top seam but very slowly.
So I ordered a KOYORAD. It says on WORLD PAC that its OEM OES and that usually means that's the same one they use from HONDA...
However when radiator arrived it clearly says on the BOX it came in and on the RADIATOR itself.. (( MADE IN CHINA ))
I was surprised to see that since KOYORAD radiators website says all over made in JAPAN ans so on.

I tried to order the DENSO from WORLD PAC but its not being sold by WORLD PAC anymore. I know the DENSOs were at least made in Mexico

So my question... Is the KOYORAD radiator really OEM / OES ??? meaning is it OEM ??? Im sure some of you know what OEM / OES mean.

Also if not is it good or better or just as good as the DENO???
Thank you

I read the reviews of the CAR-QUEST Radiator on Advance auto parts online and many of the people had the same exact problems with the top of them leaking.

Thanks

Last edited:
The factory rad in my Accord is Denso. Pretty sure Denso and Showa are the only rad OEMs for Honda.

I bought a KOYORAD (also made in China) once and it leaked right out the box. Went with a Spectra from AZ and no leaks.

I bought an OEM Honda radiator for my CRV and it says Denso, Made in Great Britain. It ran me over $300.00 but the radiator is not easy to change and I only wanted to do the job once. My CRV was Made in Japan and my original radiator that I replaced said Denso, Made in Japan. It's been over a year with the replacement radiator and there are absolutely no problems.

I originally purchased a Koyo radiator that I was going to use but it said Made in China and only cost me $60.00. I felt uncomfortable and ended up returning the Koyo and went OEM. The extra $240.00 I spent for the OEM radiator may have been money well spent.

Thanks.... Just what I figured.....

Well Ill its a very easy job in my Honda Accord.. Like 1 hour at the most...

Ill give this one a try.....

Very strange that WORLD PAC says OEM / OES on it..

Thanks....

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Everything seems to be made in China but i think that is going to change real soon!

Yes I think its going to be a change very soon also..
Sorry to get political but where I work we have parts that say made in china and or S. Korea and or Mexico..

So that means more and more tariffs....

Also I see alternators that say re-manufactured in CHINA.. Its crazy cant we get anyone in the USA to take a bad altanotor and sand blast it then rebuild it..

I mean its not that hard to put a new bearing and a new brushes and new voltage regulator and a few more parts then sell it as a reman..

and to think they probably have to send at least a HUGE CONTAINER to china... probably at least 10000 of them.... You would think in shipping alone it would be more cost effective to have them made here.

Sorry to get political but it makes me very upset when I sell stuff all day and 99% of it says made in CHINA and my point is now we have products that they have no idea where its from... We have batteries that say made in SAUDI ARABIA on them.

Last edited:
When will we get over the made in China fear? Most things are made in China. The iphone I'm on right now is made in China. No one complainsa about that. People will stand in line for a new iPhone made in China, but Chinese made rotors? Not on my car! Thats not me I'm just mocking the masses. Yes I would rather buy an American made product, but thats rare these days. A Chinese factory will produce anything to the specs required by the company. You can get a cheap Autozone radiator, or a name brand radiator made in the same factory to Koyorad or whoever's specs. And why would you expect one Made in Mexico to be any better? NAFTA?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
When will we get over the made in China fear? Most things are made in China. The iphone I'm on right now is made in China. No one complainsa about that. People will stand in line for a new iPhone made in China, but Chinese made rotors? Not on my car! Thats not me I'm just mocking the masses. Yes I would rather buy an American made product, but thats rare these days. A Chinese factory will produce anything to the specs required by the company. You can get a cheap Autozone radiator, or a name brand radiator made in the same factory to Koyorad or whoever's specs. And why would you expect one Made in Mexico to be any better? NAFTA?

I hear what you are saying and understand it..

I remember when NAFTA was signed I had a family member that lives in CALIFORNIA that was in the plastic industry and made a very good $$$ at it... He told me 2 years after NAFTA that the whole factory was being shipped to CHINA and he actually had to go to CHINA to help train the new team there how to use the machinery... I said to him refuse and he said well if didnt go that he wont get his 1 year paid so really he had no choice..

Also about the Iphone... I'm not sure if they are allowed to be made in the USA because of all the regulation.. Im told its not a eco friendly product... so the EPA and regulations make it near impossible for a IPHONE to be made in the USA.

Last edited:
The problem is that made in China can mean anything from excellent to junk. The real problem is that the quality is on the someone that orders and stocks the stuff.

The radiators and/or heat exchangers for our diesel gen sets were all made in China and they were absolutely first class. The welds were beautiful and they fit perfectly in very restrictive enclosures. We never had a problem with one.

I'd say put the complaints and problems on those that spec and order the stuff from China.

in dayton we have 2 starter/alternator rebuilders and both have a great reputation.
i would think that most bigger cities have these sort of shops if you look.
i tend to rebuild my own but if in a hurry i get mine from whichever has stock.i dont like wasting my time gambling with china rebuilds.i cant recall ever having a repeat failure from either place.thats worth more than whatever one could save going cheap at a big box store.i do however have several made in china items that were both inexpensive and very nice.but the maker is a small operation who listens to enthusiasts input.

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Everything seems to be made in China but i think that is going to change real soon!

Also I see alternators that say re-manufactured in CHINA.. Its crazy cant we get anyone in the USA to take a bad altanotor and sand blast it then rebuild it..

I mean its not that hard to put a new bearing and a new brushes and new voltage regulator and a few more parts then sell it as a reman..

and to think they probably have to send at least a HUGE CONTAINER to china... probably at least 10000 of them.... You would think in shipping alone it would be more cost effective to have them made here.

Sorry to get political but it makes me very upset when I sell stuff all day and 99% of it says made in CHINA and my point is now we have products that they have no idea where its from... We have batteries that say made in SAUDI ARABIA on them.

Last edited:
I bought a Koyorad radiator from 1-800-Radiators and 6 months later, it's leaking in the same spot the 16 year old original radiator was. Kinda bummed.

I'm not sure what the hose and cap set up is on that radiator, but sometimes a leak around the cap, hose or retrun hose, can collect around the top seam, and look like a seam leak. Did you replace the cap and hoses?

Rinse off the coolant with water, then maybe wrap these connections with a strip of paper towel to help pinpoint the location of the leak.

Related thread: link

I bought a Spectra for our MDX last year, and returned it at the store upon opening the box. It looked super cheap and I just didn't trust it. Scroll down to my post (in that thread) on 11/18/2015 at 9:18 pm. Long story short, I ordered a TYC radiator (which is rumored to be a Koyo in a TYC box). It was of far better apparent quality than the Spectra. I installed it just over a year ago and it's been doing well.

I'll stay out of the 'P' of coo and just share related Honda 01 Civic radiator replacement I posted HERE almost 3 years ago now. Can read the details in that thread but I'll give the basics.

I had no idea the coo of any of the rads (none given in descriptions) but ordered a 'TYC' rad from Amazon. At that time it was a heart/most popular choice on RA and 5 stars on Amazon. Turned out the TYC was actually a Koyorad in Koyorad box, made in China. Fit perfectly, same as original fitment and installed like a breeze. Still working great. Don't know, can't remember if it said OEM (original equipment manufacturer) or OES (original equipment supplier) on RA at the time.

Also, didn't want the AAP radiator which at that time was Ready Rad and 'I' felt might not be have as exacting fitment standards and price point even with code use was higher than the choices from RA and Amazon. But, iirc it was a 'lifetime' replacement part. However, labor involved is not factored into that so not very important to me. Are the AAP CQ radiators not still LT replacement?

Using the 'current' RA look up, looks like if I was to do it now I 'might' order the Denso based on the latest description and heart choice. No coo though so still could be China. One comment I read said some Denso rads are made there.

'If' your Koyorad fits and works like the one I purchased, it should be great. Just one point of advice, during installation do your best to avoid any contact with radiator fins. Hope you have a better result this time.

As for OES vs OEM looks like the following link does a good a job summarizing it.

http://ltdac.blogspot.com/2012/01/difference-between-oem-oes-and.html

FWIW, I have a Taiwanese-made Denso radiator I put in 3 years ago. No leaks and it fits like OEM. The biggest difference is that the new one has an aluminum core, OEM was brass.

Denso makes the best aftermarket radiators, and they are an OE supplier to many automakers and most Japanese cars. Just too bad their aftermarket radiators are made in Taiwan and Indonesia, and aren't made in the same factories where they make the OE rads in Japan and USA (and possibly Mexico).

Rock Auto carries Denso radiators, and I think AAP does, too. I just bought a Denso radiator for my Maxima, and it's made in Taiwan, but I did not install it yet.

Koyo radiators are mostly made in China and Indonesia. Only some of the racing radiators are made in Japan.

If you're lucky, you can find a Nissens radiator for your car that's made in Denmark. It might be double the price of any Chinese aftermarket radiator, but still way less than OEM dealer prices. I could not find the one for my car in stock anywhere.

Nothing wrong with Honda Type 2, except for the price. Autozone and Napa carry Pentofrost A3 for less than the dealer chargers, and it's likely the same exact formula (and the bottle even says made in Japan). A better value is Recochem concentrate, available at Pep Boys for around $20 (and often goes on sale for much less), and it's the only concentrate I know of for the new Asian coolants.

Had bought a Denso rad for my 94 Accord from Rockauto and leaked right out the box. Returned and put in a Spectra with no leaks 2 years later.

Last edited:
I use a lot of Denso replacements and never had a problem, they are an OE fit with good finishing. The last one was Made in China but it had made by Denso in China not just Denso and Made in China on the box, there seems to be a real difference when manufacturers open their own plants and make their own parts. I shouldn't make any difference if it was made on the moon at that point.

Denso opened a factory in China with Hella/Behr to manufacture A/C compressors and the quality, fit and finish is outstanding and every bit as good as the ones made with the same parts and assembled in Texas in fact the ones I have used are much quieter, almost dead silent when they kick on and they last.
I am one of the most anti Chinese posters there is but the facts are the facts, like it or not its a good product.

Put the same rad in Fiances 02 V6 Accord Coupe, used Honda blue coolant. Zero issues. Also replaced all coolant hoses at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back