PENTOSIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
What's the difference between their High Performance and Super Performance III lines?

HP- High-SAPS (gas engines)
SP-Low_SAPS (Diesel engines).

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: cnatra
Ok
Been a couple fresh threads on this version of Pentosin as well as the AZ sale threads

Bottom line is my local AZ has tons of this stuff on sale right now for $2 a qt

Mistake to buy it all up and get 2-3 oil changes out of it ??

I would clear out store for both of my cars.
But, in your case I would stick to pentosin High Performance 5W30. The one that carries ACEA A3/B4, VW 502.00, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 specifications.
5W40 is I believe too thick for Ecoboost, and Super is Low-SAPS for diesel application.

That's my plan !!
grin.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for later today when I get to the AZ across town the 0w-30 edge is on sale too
eek.gif

Last edited:
What's the difference between their High Performance and Super Performance III lines?

What if one were to use the Super Performance in a gasoline engine?

I had the same question. Bought 9 qts of the stuff. Didn't know the difference because both said for gasoline and Diesel engines. Super performance sells for about 20 dollars more a jug than HP. According to the advertising it has better additives as well. By the time I get to use it gasoline should be at 10ppm sulfurif the refineries can get there in 4-5 years.

Originally Posted By: THafeez

I had the same question. Bought 9 qts of the stuff. Didn't know the difference because both said for gasoline and Diesel engines. Super performance sells for about 20 dollars more a jug than HP. According to the advertising it has better additives as well. By the time I get to use it gasoline should be at 10ppm sulfurif the refineries can get there in 4-5 years.

SP version has better additives for emission system, and much less additive! TBN in SP is maybe around 6, in HP is around 11.
Difference in practical application? If you have direct injection engine, it could be a problem due to fuel dilution. Lower TBN will be depleted faster by sulphur in gas. If you use it in port injection engine (like your Solara is) you should not have any issues, and should be good for 5K.
For example, if I use that oil in my VW Tiguan, it would not be safe to use it longer then 3K. I tried that with Mobil1 5W30 ESP (same oil category, low -SAPS) and 3 K was maximum based on UOA.
So you can use it, but definiately not 10K in gas car.
Also, since you car is specd. for lighter 5W30, you might observe bit slower rpm build up with this oil, since all Euro spec. 5W30's are actually almost 5W40 oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back