Top Tier gas or regular & Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read the article on AAA about Top Tier gas along with an article in Consumer Reports. But I wonder if regular gas and Techron would keep valves just as clean.

Why? I get my gas for 10c-20c/gal cheaper at my Big Box store with "sometimes" non-Tier 1 gas. Considering that saves me $40-$80 per year vs. going straight to Tier 1 gas stations, the $3 bottle of Techron 2X per year is cheaper...and easier. I'd prefer the Tier 1 gas all the time but have no idea what gas my Big Box is putting out week to week. Though some of the trucks that come through are no different than the ones filling the Tier 1 stations.

I always use Top Tier (Shell in my case). It may be a penny more per gallon than the other stations, worth it in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Why spend the extra money? Just fill up at Chevron and call it a day...

I doubt that he will do that easily in NY state.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Why? I get my gas for 10c-20c/gal cheaper at my Big Box store with "sometimes" non-Tier 1 gas. Considering that saves me $40-$80 per year vs. going straight to Tier 1 gas stations, the $3 bottle of Techron 2X per year is cheaper...and easier. I'd prefer the Tier 1 gas all the time but have no idea what gas my Big Box is putting out week to week. Though some of the trucks that come through are no different than the ones filling the Tier 1 stations.

Cheapest fuel available form a clean, high volume station with a Techron chaser as needed.

Recently, I started buying gas at Costco. Their gas is Top Tier and their 91 octane is like 10-15 cents cheaper per litre than normal stations, that's a massive difference. In comparison, their regular is only about 2-5 cents cheaper.

BP and Valero are generally cheap in my area. Best to carry cash for gas because most stations nowadays charge extra when using cards. A major annoyance. In my case BP keeps the same prices whereas Valero has different prices. Both are top tier. Though I don't think I feel a huge difference in mpg or pricing. usually 3 cents difference with non top tier.

I use top tier gas exclusively. It's not worth it to me to save a few pennys on a lesser fuel only to pay $8 or so on a bottle of fuel system cleaner to clean it back up.

It is better to stay clean of deposits rather then to have to clean them up afterwards.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
It is better to stay clean of deposits rather then to have to clean them up afterwards.

Agreed!

I use cheap gas at a high volume station. No need for Techron or other additives.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I use cheap gas at a high volume station. No need for Techron or other additives.
+1

There's a 1 year old Valero station by my work I almost always fill up at. Pretty busy station, and its brand new so the tanks are clean. Gas is cheap there too. What's not to like?

Otherwise I always used to and occasionally still do get gas at an Arco. Cheapest station in town, kind of famous for it. Extremely busy too.

dishdude would probably know which Arco.

If IVDs were a concern I'd use Shell Nitro exclusively, but with a wet manifold and PCV modification my inlet valves will always be extremely clean.

I always use Shell Nitro because that's what was in the tank when the car was timed, jetted and rolling roaded, and it runs noticeably worse on any other fuel.

On the infrequent occasion that I can't use Shell, I'll only fill with enough fuel to get me to the closest Shell where I can use the fuel that provides the best idle/transition/power.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
using cheap non tier 1 gas does Not save you Money in the long run

Depending on circumstance you may well be right.
As a blanket rule, you're not.

It seems to me that if you keep a car(as most do) for 4/5 years or less, what's the advantage to top tier? You will save a bunch of cash over 4/5 years and never notice the difference.

Those that keep their cars longer would be much better served.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back