2002 Toyota Tundra 4.7 fluids....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, as some of you know my brother is looking at purchasing a 2002 Tundra with the 4.7 V8 and auto transmission. He isn't a car buff and is not into preventative maintenance, or any maintenance really. I would like to change out all the fluids if he gets it, but I am not sure what fluids to use. For oil I plan on using MaxLife 5w30, but not sure about transmission fluid, power steering fluid and coolant. Also its the TRD version, does this mean it has 4x4? If so what fluid would need to be changed? Thanks in advance!

Toyotas call for Dexron III for transmission fluid and power steering fluid. I always just use Valvoline MaxLife.

Before buying anything for coolant, check to see what it looks like. It probably originally had Toyota Pink but somebody might have put green in it. When I bought mine it had green in it, and I've just used that since.

TRD does mean 4x4. This means it has a front diff and a transfercase. Not sure the specs of those. Toyota usually has a drain plug for rear differentials too so no diff cover to be removed. Just drain and refill. Same with transfercase.

It is a "toyota red" vehicle; pink is a suitable replacement; there are engine petcock valves and a radiator valve too;

Maxlife for the ATF and PS.

In my 2003 4Runner with the 4.7 V8 I use 0w-30 Red Line engine oil and D4 Red Line transmission fluid and Red Line 75-90 in the rear diff (2x4).

For the transmission I drain and refill only (4-5 quarts), every 30K and every 60K it's the diff. I suck out some P/S fluid and replace it with D4 when I do the transmission.

I change the engine oil every 10K and the Mobil 1 M1-209 (longer than stock) oil filter every other oil change. I have an oil sample ready to go right now.

The oil sample should be interesting because at 160K this 4Runner has lived a hard life, towing horses and supplies, tools and other stuff on bad roads in the desert.

I really have no idea which engine oil and filter would be absolutely the best. The more I've learned about engine oil over the years still has not brought me closer to a definitive answer for my situation. So I'm sticking with what is working but I'd be willing to bet other combinations would also work.

This Toyota V8 is a very tough engine. We use 2 of them to drive a ball mill and a water bed and a shaker table at a hobby gold mine. These engines get run 8 to 12 hours on a working shift at full load using the same fluids listed above. We use the engine, tranny and drive shaft and actually use the cruise control. These engines setups came from wrecked vehicles at very low mileage and replaced very expensive industrial engines that would have cost over $12K each. We run them on CNG and have had zero problems. The only mods are a bigger radiator with electric fans and a coolant filter and a big oil sump and oil cooler with an electric fan. One oil cooler is in the radiator to speed up the warm up and the other is separate. We also use a catch can for the crankcase and a really big air filter. The internals remain untouched along with the fuel control.

The sump has an inspection plate and there has never been any build up of sludge at all. We have a meter on the CNG system and it alarms at a certain amount of gas used and then we change the engine oil. It's a simple setup and it works.

TRD package was available on two wheel drive and four wheel drive trucks.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Toyotas call for Dexron III for transmission fluid and power steering fluid. I always just use Valvoline MaxLife.

Before buying anything for coolant, check to see what it looks like. It probably originally had Toyota Pink but somebody might have put green in it. When I bought mine it had green in it, and I've just used that since.

TRD does mean 4x4. This means it has a front diff and a transfercase. Not sure the specs of those. Toyota usually has a drain plug for rear differentials too so no diff cover to be removed. Just drain and refill. Same with transfercase.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In my 2003 4Runner with the 4.7 V8 I use 0w-30 Red Line engine oil and D4 Red Line transmission fluid and Red Line 75-90 in the rear diff (2x4).

For the transmission I drain and refill only (4-5 quarts), every 30K and every 60K it's the diff. I suck out some P/S fluid and replace it with D4 when I do the transmission.

I change the engine oil every 10K and the Mobil 1 M1-209 (longer than stock) oil filter every other oil change. I have an oil sample ready to go right now.

The oil sample should be interesting because at 160K this 4Runner has lived a hard life, towing horses and supplies, tools and other stuff on bad roads in the desert.

I really have no idea which engine oil and filter would be absolutely the best. The more I've learned about engine oil over the years still has not brought me closer to a definitive answer for my situation. So I'm sticking with what is working but I'd be willing to bet other combinations would also work.

This Toyota V8 is a very tough engine. We use 2 of them to drive a ball mill and a water bed and a shaker table at a hobby gold mine. These engines get run 8 to 12 hours on a working shift at full load using the same fluids listed above. We use the engine, tranny and drive shaft and actually use the cruise control. These engines setups came from wrecked vehicles at very low mileage and replaced very expensive industrial engines that would have cost over $12K each. We run them on CNG and have had zero problems. The only mods are a bigger radiator with electric fans and a coolant filter and a big oil sump and oil cooler with an electric fan. One oil cooler is in the radiator to speed up the warm up and the other is separate. We also use a catch can for the crankcase and a really big air filter. The internals remain untouched along with the fuel control.

The sump has an inspection plate and there has never been any build up of sludge at all. We have a meter on the CNG system and it alarms at a certain amount of gas used and then we change the engine oil. It's a simple setup and it works.

Sounds cool ! Let's see some pics!

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Sounds cool ! Let's see some pics!
+1

The sump has an inspection plate? What is that?

And the 4 runners are legendary for their longevity, even the V6 models.mtheres a YouTube video of a doctor that owns a V6 4Runner with over 400,000 miles on his - he's only had to do a few minimal repairs. I'm not a huge fan of the 4Runner because of the interior, gas mileage and rough ride, but I love their longevity. They're small SUV's but they're more like a truck.

"The sump has an inspection plate? What is that?"

When I enlarged the sump I added an opening sealed with a plate, bolts and a gasket so you can look inside and also clean out the sump. This was because I was worried I'd find evidence of wear because of the long runs at full power. So far, everything is good.

I don't especially like the looks of my 03 4Runner but it's a bullet proof 4 door pickup with a good camper shell. (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back