Working on cars with your kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cute. My wife babysits a good friend's two kids (3 and 7) and they frequently ask if they can go to the shop with me. Occasionally I'm doing something such that they can and more recently I've started asking them to hand me tools. I hope it makes an impression.
laugh.gif

Great pictures. My pop, God rest his soul would be flustered and hollering as he was always under the gun.
I like your style better. Cute son too!

That's awesome. My dad was never really into cars, but he always had me helping with yard work since I could walk. Definitely helped me develop the work ethic I have today.
thumbsup2.gif

Good stuff, DriveHard.

Here's big brother (just enlisted in the US Army) finishing the job little brother started (from the other thread). Bonus points for the AutoZone oil stash on the shelf in the background?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
"Working on your cars with the kids"
(May teach them a few new cuss words :)

Nope...not at my house.

A couple more...

Big sis doesn't like it much either, but we have a rule that if you are going to drive, you got to know the basics. So here is her first oil change.

The little guy loves it so much that he even works on his own stuff

One of my favorite photos. He just grabbed a wrench and crawled under the car like daddy was doing.

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
One of my favorite photos. He just grabbed a wrench and crawled under the car like daddy was doing.

Great picture, Dave!

I started my daughter on the lawn mower. This is one we rescued from Lowes and re-powered it with an engine I had in the garage.

We dismantled the seized engine that came with the mower deck.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
A couple more...

Big sis doesn't like it much either, but we have a rule that if you are going to drive, you got to know the basics. So here is her first oil change.

The little guy loves it so much that he even works on his own stuff

Well done. She doesn't care for it now, but, hopefully, she will appreciate it later.

The vehicle in the front, left side of the picture, where you see the left taillight, is that a Isuzu Rodeo? The style of it reminds me of the late model Rodeos.

Last edited:
The photo of DriveHard's daughter changing oil brought back a 25 year old memory of my father expressing his unhappiness that I had my daughter crawl under her first car to learn about oil changes. He was adamant that women shouldn't have to do such things. Maybe so, but my daughter is the first to admit getting her hands dirty on occasion gave her the foundation for tackling most any project around the home and at work.

My family owned a collision repair shop from 1959-2005. Me being born in 1994 means I got to crawl all around it as a kid until I was 11. 3 frame machines to climb all over!

Originally Posted By: njohnson

The vehicle in the front, left side of the picture, where you see the left taillight, is that a Isuzu Rodeo? The style of it reminds me of the late model Rodeos.

Vehicle in signature - it is my wife's 2008 BMW X3

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
"Working on your cars with the kids"
(May teach them a few new cuss words :)

Oh yeah. Fond memories of my dad saying "hand me that sombitch over there" and somehow knowing what he was talking about... it was like a different tool got designated that title with each job
laugh.gif

My daughter (mom of two boys) still changes her own oil and filters.

I started her out on a 1982 Chevy S-10 stick shift.

Maybe that's why my grandsons are so interested in cars and stuff.
cool.gif

The older one (8) helped me work on a Poulan Snowblower last year. He can torque a 9/16 bolt better than me.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
My 11 year old (at the time, rebuilt the carburetor in my Cougar - he removed it and disassembled it on his own (he didn't want to wait for me) I stepped in when it was time to use carb cleaner. anyway, he spec'd out, disassembled, and assembled the engine a year later:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back