How is your Christmas bonus calculated ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get $300 after taxes. I can also cash out any of my PTO at any time that I want. That amounts to 4 weeks of pay a year.

My employer doesn't give me a bonus but my credit union does and it was nice.

We don't get a bonus as such, but the owner comes in on the last day during the p*ss up and gives us all an envelope, containing a Xmas card from him and his wife, inside the card is some money ($100) and maybe a voucher of some sort. Just a thank you for the years work.

I've never gotten an actual "Christmas" bonus. We do get a bonus based on profits around March. But I wouldn't call it much of a bonus. A little less than 2 weeks pay. But it's better than nothing.

I do get paid 16 hours for two holidays since I am a 12 hour shift worker and our plant does not shut down for holidays. So if I have to work Christmas day, then I get paid my 12 hours + 16 hours. So it's not really a big deal if I have to work on a holiday.

My last Christmas bonus was a $5 gift card to Bob Evans...in 1988. It's been all downhill since then. No paid holidays either.

Mine is calculated this way:

Q: May I have a few days off?
A: Yes, now's the time

A few hours into my "time off": Hey, you need to come in now! XYZ is broken, and the boss needs blah, blah, blah, and we need to move aircraft A to location B, before the boss comes back early (tomorrow) .

And by the way Cujet, it's only been 7 years without a raise or bonus, you need to wait till next year.

Note: Our agreement was 10% bonus per year for staying, and annual cost of living increases. While I can complain plenty about the utter lack of vacation, the lack of regular raises and promised bonuses, I do get paid on time, properly, and I have an awful lot of fun at work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Mine is calculated this way:

Q: May I have a few days off?
A: Yes, now's the time

A few hours into my "time off": Hey, you need to come in now! XYZ is broken, and the boss needs blah, blah, blah, and we need to move aircraft A to location B, before the boss comes back early (tomorrow) .

And by the way Cujet, it's only been 7 years without a raise or bonus, you need to wait till next year.

Note: Our agreement was 10% bonus per year for staying, and annual cost of living increases. While I can complain plenty about the utter lack of vacation, the lack of regular raises and promised bonuses, I do get paid on time, properly, and I have an awful lot of fun at work.

I'll never get tired of playing musical aircraft on my day off.

/sarcasm

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Whats that?

Never understood why people get paid a bonus for doing what they are paid to do. If you do well, you get a raise next year.

I agree. But some companies are obsessed with meeting their business metrics and reward employees for surpassing these goals. My bonus was almost a month's salary.

We have telephone conference twice a week with entire team to discuss the business in the region and what we can improve on.

Not sure how they calculate it, but it's based off profits. Have a good year, above and beyond expectations, and it gets divided up. I believe the higher ups divide the pool into what each group will get, and then in turn each level of managers divide up their share as they see fit. Presumably the shares have to line up with performance reviews.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Whats that?

Never understood why people get paid a bonus for doing what they are paid to do. If you do well, you get a raise next year.

I agree. But some companies are obsessed with meeting their business metrics and reward employees for surpassing these goals. My bonus was almost a month's salary.

We have telephone conference twice a week with entire team to discuss the business in the region and what we can improve on.

Some employees are content with the status quo. Nothing wrong with that. Some are always striving to get more done; and sometimes that leads to a better than expected year (increased profit, due to increased sales and/or decreased costs). If the powers that be notice who is doing the extra work, they can reward hard workers for the extra work, out of the unexpected windfall, as an incentive to do a repeat.

Some business models depend upon growth. I recall being miffed one year when we lost a week of pay because we didn't grow enough that year. We had something like a 2 or 3% increase in sales--but since the model we were on "demanded" 5% (something like that) we all took a paycut to make up for the gap.

Our CEO insists that we grow at least 6% every year. If we aren't beating inflation then we are falling behind.

The company I work for has no yearly bonus but quarterly bonuses based off set goals, meet your goals and you get ~2.5% of your salary bonus quarterly.This ends up being a pretty big chunk of change. End of year they always throw in a little extra or some stock if you have met your goals all year, plus cost of living update raise and 2-4% salary raise. Oh, and I work in corporate IT, pretty rare to get bonuses in this field. The company I work for is IMO a once in a life time find, going to ride this train until I am forced to get off.... You have to have a certain personality to work here and be willing to work very hard, especially the first year or two, but it's totally worth it.

Last edited:
Huie83,

Even when I worked in retail at Publix supermarkets 35 years ago, all the employees got a quarterly bonus. Whether part-time, full-time or management.... you got a bonus. If it increases sales and profit at any business, then all should share in getting rewarded for their work with a bonus.

I've always given an end of the year profit sharing bonus. It provides an incentive for employees to work smarter throughout the year, and provides a level of investment in the company. When I owned the software company it ranged from $300 to around $4,000 per employee (that's from 1987 to 2002). At the winery we were able to average $1,500-$2,000 per employee.

Whats that?

I'd expect that sort of response from burger flippers or Walmart employees, but in a real career things are a bit different. Having an incentive and being vested goes a long way to making an employee know they're a valued part of the company, and that what they do matters to the bottom line.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
BONE us? We get that every day!

He said bonus not boner. :)

My wife, an RN with over 30 years tenure with the same hospital chain, got a small bag of popcorn and a letter from the CEO about what a great year it was.

It amazes me that anyone in a position of responsibility could be so tone deaf and insulting. Of course, I'm sure the CEO got six figures cash. Most American corporations are run by elitist boneheads only out for #1.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
My wife, an RN with over 30 years tenure with the same hospital chain, got a small bag of popcorn and a letter from the CEO about what a great year it was.

It amazes me that anyone in a position of responsibility could be so tone deaf and insulting. Of course, I'm sure the CEO got six figures cash. Most American corporations are run by elitist boneheads only out for #1.

Working myself in healthcare for 30+ years it doesn't surprise me what hospital CEO did. The 'C suite' #1 goal is to spend the least amount on their employees. Sad but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back