GM temporarily closing 5 plants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not someone who had: "pop goes the valve train" ...
15.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Most of the foreign stuff had or has rubber timing belts. I dont know how anyone can consider that reliable.

Didn't GM's 3.6 have timing chain issues?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

The fat cats may not care, but the guy who works in the factory sure appreciates you buying American. FWIW all my domestics have been reliable.

I'm sure the Brits who built the engine and transmission and the plant workers in Mexico who assembled my Ford does.

I really like most of the cars from Buick and the ATS, but I'm in my late 20s and the brand image of those cars are still what old people drive.

Maybe if Chevrolet actually made cars that don't look like the belong on a rental lot (Camaro and Corvette excepted) then maybe they would sell better. For the the longest time, their normal cars (Malibu, Impala, Cobalt, etc.) were basically anonymous blobs. Same with Ford until the last 5-6 years, when their cars actually looked good.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
The Pinto thing is largely debunked. They were no more likely to explode than any other similar class of compact cars, including Hondas and Toyotas...

Yea-that's why they recalled 12.5 million of them.

https://philosophia.uncg.edu/phi361-meti...the-ford-pinto/

They "voluntarily recalled" them because of bad press and hysteria. At the same time the NHTSA said there wasn't enough evidence to "warrant an investigation. The Pintos were no more dangerous than any other small car, and actually less dangerous than many:

Quote:
Subsequent analysis[edit]
The recall was included in Time magazine's 2009 top ten product recalls, Popular Mechanics magazine's 2010 five most notorious recalls of all time, and NBC News' 2013 twelve famous recalls.[124][125][126] Time said "The Ford Pinto was a famously bad automobile, but worse still might be Ford's handling of the safety concerns."[125] According to the Los Angeles Times in 2010, the award "signaled to the auto industry that it would be harshly sanctioned for ignoring known defects."[107]

Schwartz studied the fatality rates of the Pinto and several other small cars of the time period. He noted that fires, and rear-end fires in particular, are very small portion of overall auto fatalities. At the time only 1% of automobile crashes would result in fire and only 4% of fatal accidents involved fire, and only 15% of fatal fire crashes are the result of rear-end collisions.[6] When considering the overall safety of the Pinto Schwartz notes that subcompact cars as a class have generally higher fatality risk. Pintos represented 1.9% of all cars on the road in the 1975–76 period. During that time the car represented 1.9% of all “fatal accidents accompanied by some fire.” Implying the car was average for all cars and slightly above average for its class.[127] When all types of fatalities are considered the Pinto was approximately even with the AMC Gremlin, Chevrolet Vega, and Datsun 510. It was significantly better than the Datsun 1200/210, Toyota Corolla and VW Beetle.[6] The safety record of the car in terms of fire was average or slightly below average for compacts and all cars respectively. This was considered respectable for a subcompact car. Only when considering the narrow subset of rear-impact, fire fatalities is the car somewhat worse than the average for subcompact cars. While acknowledging this is an important legal point, Schwartz rejects the portrayal of the car as a firetrap.[128]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto#Subsequent_analysis

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

My dad had a Mercury Grand Marquis years ago. Was kind of like a decked out Crown Vic. Super smooth. One day that car decided to take off while we were idled looking at a fishing spot. It was up against a tree smoking the tires for almost 20 minutes till he somehow got it turned off. Never knew why, but he never stepped foot in that car again.

Throttle position sensor went haywire. I had that happen on my '87 Mustang GT. Was sitting in neutral in my buddy's driveway, I was out of the car, talking to him on his deck and all of a sudden the car just rev'd right up out of nowhere. The TPS had gone bad.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Most of the foreign stuff had or has rubber timing belts. I dont know how anyone can consider that reliable.

Didn't GM's 3.6 have timing chain issues?

Yes and no. The issue was low oil would starve the chain a little but no oil light would come on as the rest of the motor still had enough oil. GMs fix was the lower the OLM interval so people that don't check their oil. a lot of them, will change it sooner.

I have owned 2 CTS with the 3.6, my BiL had a STS with over 200k on it, and another BiL with a STS around 100k on the factory chain. I made sure to check the oil and keep on them to check as well.

Just like my MiLs corolla uses oil but I keep it topped off and its not had any issue. My BiLs Rav4 uses a lot of oil but I give him enough to top off and its still going with 150k+ right now.

Ignorant um yeah i guess you are.... Look at the pages and pages of class action lawsuits against GM Billions of dollars.. Not a quality vehicle at all anymore.. GM has built good engines for a long time but that's it too bad you cant drive around on an engine..

Herrstig tell them to go to a Lemon Law Attorney they are free to the consumer and all charges are paid by the car manufacturer if you win if you lose which is unlikely there is no charge whatsoever to the consumer..Chances are they will get a new car or a refund... No charge!

At least cars could be turned off and/or put in neutral at one time - the whole push button electronic thing has caught more than one brand (so far) ...

lol I am old enough to remember the pinto (rolling Molotov cocktails)

the topic is GM, and their disregard for the public's safety is the reason why I dislike the company, and oh yes my GM vehicles were garbage

I've owned a lot of cars, and driven too many miles. GM vehicles have given me the most trouble free, lowest cost miles than any other make. I strayed away about 10 years ago and it was expensive. So I'm back to GM and I'm confident and happy.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
All vehicles have good and bad but lately GM has been junk...Years back GM was a great company that built great vehicles today NO !

I see it as the exact opposite. Its better quality than ever for GM, especially the sedans. A friend of mine has owned a 2013 Malibu 4 cyl since new. I've been driving Camry's for decades and that Malibu is smoother, faster, more economical than any of them. Prefer it over my dad's oil burning shaky idle 2012 2.5l 4 cyl Camry. Not even close.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I've owned a lot of cars, and driven too many miles. GM vehicles have given me the most trouble free, lowest cost miles than any other make. I strayed away about 10 years ago and it was expensive. So I'm back to GM and I'm confident and happy.

My parent's 80-something Chevy Citation begs to differ with you. So did dad's 90s S10 pickup.

I think it's really going to depend on a few things. One, the specific make/model/year makes a difference; sweeping generalizations, whether it is about GM or VW, are often wrong. Two, people have different ideas of what reliable is and what "nice quality" is. It is hard to have a conversation like this without having standardized those terms, which is nearly impossible to do casually.

robert

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

The fat cats may not care, but the guy who works in the factory sure appreciates you buying American. FWIW all my domestics have been reliable.

I'm sure the Brits who built the engine and transmission and the plant workers in Mexico who assembled my Ford does.

Well, then if that's what you're concerned with, don't buy the ones that have parts made in a foreign country. For example, my Cruze (2015 1LT) with the 1.4T engine had the transmission and engine parts sourced from the USA according to the sticker. It was also assembled in Ohio using Union workers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Not someone who had: "pop goes the valve train" ...
15.gif

I actually prefer a rubber band on some engines. The 3.5 Chrysler is one of them. It is easy to change and it's a simpler design than the chain. However, I work on my own stuff and can see why others may not like belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back