Ram changes the recommended oil on 2016 EcoDiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a news story, Ram is calling for a change in the oil recommendation. I saw this on Shell Rotella facebook page.

http://www.torquenews.com/3768/ram-ecodiesel-owners-need-be-aware-change-recommended-oil

Is it the viscosity that needed to be changed? Or the fact that Pennzoil wasn't rated to be used in diesel engines?
I know that the Platinum Euro versions can be used in diesels. The article doesn't say which Pennzoil was being used, Ultra and Platinum ILSAC GF-5 are not even rated for CF.
Mobil 1, I know, are rated for CF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: njohnson
I know that the Platinum Euro versions can be used in diesels.

Not just any Euro oil either. If you have a modern diesel with DPF, you don't want to use full SAPS oil, so it's probably best to stay away from a typical Euro A3/B4 oil.

I wonder if this has anything to do with CK-4 and FA-4 being rolled out as well.

I am pretty sure the org oil was 10w30? pennzoil.

Probably the rotella t6 5w40 holds up better

Ah:

The following powertrain system improvements/enhancements are included in this
software release:
· Fan calibration.
· Transmission calibration.
· Revised oil change algorithm.

If that article is correct, Ram is wanting owners to actually drain out the existing oil and replace it with the Rotella. Is the situation really that urgent?

My guess is that they were having some bearing wear issues show up under warranty. Diesels have high compression and they can develop high loads at low RPM where dwell time is extended for the pressure spike on firing. Both of these tend to push oil off the crank journal under the "squeeze"... So they upped the anti to xW-40 for more cushion and a stronger oil film
smile.gif

EcoDiesel owner here. This update happened over the summer.

The spec was changed from 5w-30 MS-11106 to 5w-40 MS-10902.

That basically means Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 to Rotella T6 5w-40.

When I contacted them, FCA told me to take care of it at the next oil change. I had T6 in the garage, so just went for it early.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Too-thin oil again...

Yes and no, FCA trying to eek out every mpg it could with an 1/2 ton diesel had top gear holding at too low of rpm, causing excessive crankshaft bearing wear. FCA had multiple spun crank bearings, so I'm assuming the reprogram kicks it down a lower gear sooner, and the 40wt. will help.

This engine has been in use in Europe for years, the problem lies with FCA rolling out a new platform without enough R&D. They were basically lugging the engine causing excessive crankshaft load.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Too-thin oil again...

Yes and no, FCA trying to eek out every mpg it could with an 1/2 ton diesel had top gear holding at too low of rpm, causing excessive crankshaft bearing wear. FCA had multiple spun crank bearings, so I'm assuming the reprogram kicks it down a lower gear sooner, and the 40wt. will help.

This engine has been in use in Europe for years, the problem lies with FCA rolling out a new platform without enough R&D. They were basically lugging the engine causing excessive crankshaft load.

Right so the oil was too thin for the application -- unless the specification is for a 30 weight in Europe.

Last edited:
Too-thin oil again...

Right so the oil was too thin for the application -- unless the specification is for a 30 weight in Europe.

Correct from what I understand the European application uses a 30wt., but obviously at higher rpms under load.

From what I understand this engine is proven in delivery vehicles and also in marine use, just a screw up with FCA programming.

Watched the news tonight and FCA is under investigation again for unintended roll aways with 1/2 ton trucks and durangos, I don't know if this is another programming issue or transmission malfunction.

Too-thin oil again...

Correct from what I understand the European application uses a 30wt., but obviously at higher rpms under load.

From what I understand this engine is proven in delivery vehicles and also in marine use, just a screw up with FCA programming.

Watched the news tonight and FCA is under investigation again for unintended roll aways with 1/2 ton trucks and durangos, I don't know if this is another programming issue or transmission malfunction.

I was going to add an obligatory bash on FCA not building anything worth a darn. But it's hard to do that when GM knowingly let the ignition problem go for over 10 years.

It is band aid because engine has issues.
Oil that was recommended for that engine was Pennzoil Platinum Euro L that meets VW 504.00/507.00, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, Porsche C30 specifications and of course, ACEA C3.
Now that oil was strictly used because of emission system.
Rotella has much higher SAPS level, and if it was specd. for passenger vehicles it would be high SAPS oil since SA is at 1%. On top of that T6 has NOACK of 12.4%. Personally I would use if I had that car Valvoline 5W40 MST, Pentosin 5W40, Motul X-Clean 5W40. My question is: will FCS cover any related issues with DPF due to higher SAPS?

Originally Posted By: Throt

I was going to add an obligatory bash on FCA not building anything worth a darn.

I'll go with that....and won't buy a current Chrysler product because of it. I might consider a 2012 or earlier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back