How to keep warranty if doing my own oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
ToyotaCare covers oil changes and tire rotations for 2 years/25,000 miles. Since both of my families cars are coming to that point, I want to know how to document the oil changes if I will be changing the oil on my own in the next year or so. Don't want any warranty issues etc when the time comes to return the leased car or if we have issues on the one we own.
Cars are a 2015 toyota sienna XLE on lease ending May 2018
2015 Toyota Prius C (we own it)

I've been doing the oil changes on my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee since he bought it new. The dealer said the best way would be to keep receipts of the oil and write on the receipts what the vehicle's mileage was.

On the contrary, when my mom bought her 2011 Fit the Honda dealer just said "follow the oil life monitor, doesn't really matter besides that what you do".

I keep receipts for oil and filters until warranty is up. That being said, I have never had an oil related engine problem on any car I've owned, and that's been for over 50 years. And I have owned a bunch. If you have any doubts talk to your Toyota service rep.

I keep a record book in my vehicles, but like Bud, never needed to prove anything to a dealer.

The best way is to routinely check the oil and make sure it is at appropriate levels. Other than this, keep receipts.

Receipts prove you bought the oil and filters. Don't prove you actually changed it.

I don't keep any receipts or records on the cars I've owned. Not worried about it.

I have not used the warranty often, but I have never had or have heard of anyone say the dealer has asked for proof of oil changes. If you have not changed the oil, or kept up on it they will be able to tell.

Take a picture of your car up on ramps with the hood open and the new oil & filter positioned on the radiator cowl. Note miles in file name. The camera will automatically date stamp the pic. Save the pic on a flash drive if you're worried about a HD failure down the road.

If you do the changes yourself, keep a sheet dedicated for recording vehicle, date,service performed and odometer reading. I also tore of the filter box's flap that has the barcode on it and write the date on the back. If you buy your oil in 12 qt cases then tear off the barcode of that too.

Last edited:
My terrain came with 2 years of free oil changes and tire rotations. I have been getting it changed every 6 months regardless of miles. Hey, it's free. Once I am done with those I plan on following the OLM and getting it changed at the dealership. It is $40 and they also vacuum and clean the windows. Could I change my own oil? Most certainly but I figured the place is close and my OLM is usually at 40-50% every 6 months so I can certainly go 10-12 months

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Take a picture of your car up on ramps with the hood open and the new oil & filter positioned on the radiator cowl. Note miles in file name. The camera will automatically date stamp the pic. Save the pic on a flash drive if you're worried about a HD failure down the road.

Good idea. I like that. A photo is easy. And if you sell your car to a private party, they will know you changed the oil rather than just accumulating receipts.

I am keeping a spread sheet for my vehicles. Everything I do for them goes into the spread sheet. So if ever I need to show Nissan what I have done on the Note it's there. I haven't been keeping receipts so maybe that will be the weak part of my spreadsheet. I figure most people don't do what I have done (record keeping and/or proper maintainance) so I will just challenge Nissan to prove I didn't do the proper maintenance as I recorded. I have doubts it will have to come to that though for a lot of reasons.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Wow! That's the most thorough I've heard so far!

Most vehicle manuals have a log in them.
I have folders with receipts and there is a store that does vehicle checks on various items for free every so often so take them up on things like tire checks, brake inspections, fluid levels, battery load and terminals, suspension etc. They provide record of the things they check. Third party confirmation and good for resale too.

keep receipts and know the dates if there is a warranty issue that they don't want to pay Call your a Lemon Law Attorney which works for the consumer for free...100% free and charged to the car manufacturer..

Ford and GM have internet owner's sites that allow you to view maintenance or service done at one of their facilities. You can also enter your own DIY work including date, mileage, what was done, cost, and who did it.

I use their sites to record my work I do on the C-Max and the Traverse. I also keep the receipts with dates and mileage of when I did oil/filter changes.

I would think other manufacturers may have the same type of on line records you could keep.

Keeping receipts may be a waste of time. How many are still readable after a year. they fade out. Besides If you change the Oil regularly you wont have problems that can be recognized by a mechanic as lack of maintenance. If there is a problem it is incumbent on THEM to prove you did something wrong and void the warranty.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I keep a record book in my vehicles, but like Bud, never needed to prove anything to a dealer.

Yea most owner manuals have a place to write in when/what service was done. Fill that out every time and keep if something comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back