Dollar General 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious to hear BITOG's "blind" opinion on this oil, without the tech's analysis:

14.1 Viscosity at 100C (cSt)
90.0 Viscosity at 40C (cSt)
4,175 Viscosity at -25C(cP)
17.9% loss;volatility
162 viscosity index
3.5 TBN

349.8 nitrogen
991 calcium
4 magnesium
378 phosphorus
404 zinc
20 moly

20 boron
8 silicon
2,300 sulfur

Comments?

I would not use this oil in any engine, it is severely lacking in terms of the add pack.
Zinc and Phosphorous are way too low, it's API SF, Volatility is too high.... I would not use this oil in anything, maybe in an old junk engine with flat tappet cam to see how long it took for the camshaft to go flat.

Volatility (Noack) over 15% is usually not good - at least for SN oils.
3.5 TBN is what you might expect for an oil that has used up 1/2 to 2/3 of it's life.
Very weak add pack of Ca/Mg/Phos/Zinc/Moly/Boron.

Wouldn't even put this in my lawnmower if free. The add pack is comparable to some ATF's, though the viscosity is way too high.

I feel like a high school teacher: "I wanted YOUR opinion FordCapriDriver, not somebody else's."
wink.gif
I like to see other people's thoughts. The ancient Greek philosophers believed discussion reveals truth

Last edited:
They don't hide anything. Right there on the bottle is the SF rating (pre-1988 quality)

It could be worse though. You could select their SAE 30:

In addition to the obsolete multigrades, PQIA took a look at the DG SAE 30 motor oil on the shelves. This product reaches back even further into the world of obsolete motor oils in that it meets only an API SA Service Classification. This is a specification for cars built prior to 1930, over 85 years ago.

Their 10W-30 is much much better. TBN is 8. Additives meet SN spec:

Calcium 1944
Magnesium 20
Phosphorus, ppm 669
Zinc, ppm 718
Molybdenum, ppm 53
Barium, ppm 0

I might consider using it to wipe down my tools after I'm done working on my car...maybe...

I have used this many times in my plymouth breeze that leaks oil. and had no problems with it. I always top off with the cheapest oil available

Originally Posted By: jacky
I have used this many times in my plymouth breeze that leaks oil. and had no problems with it. I always top off with the cheapest oil available

If you lived near me I'd be happy to give my used M1 or PP for free. I take it out long before the oil is even close to used up. The M1 comes out after 1200 miles....the PP at around 3200-3500 miles. Has to be better than DG SF motor oil.

There are far worse oils in the convenience stores around here ... and the same store will have four oil choices and four fuel choices ...

I'm a little surprised at how low the zinc level is for a SF rated oil, even for a dollar store brand. Even when Walmart used to sell a SF 10w-40 (they no longer do), it said it had 1100 ppm zinc printed on the bottle.

If indeed this is labelled an API SF oil, it doesn't appear to meet SF so the blender may have "under-additized" it during blending.

It looks like about 1/3 the SF additive pack was used.

Dollar General will definitely lose the lawsuit, if their SF oil does not meet the bare SF standard

last time I was in Dollar General their oil was SN rated and WPP or WNE was on the bottom...warren performance products who also blends supertech (walmart), traveller (tractor supply company), and several other house brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back