Delvac One ESP 5w40 UOA 07 Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
My latest UOA on my truck below.. I haven't done any uoa's on this rig in a few years as I was quite content with my rotella triple protection I was running with a 10,000 mile interval.
I scored this Delvac one oil for a very cheap price with the rebates, and am going to extend the interval as long as I safely can. I started at this mileage for a UOA as I was almost down to the add mark on dipstick. NO makeup oil was added until I took sample.
Truck is 2007 LBZ duramax. Oil sample had 8,516 miles on it and was taken via fumoto drain valve (with engine up to temp and running Dnewton3 style).Engine has 134,000 miles on it roughly. This sample had some hard towing during this summers camping trips, and also would like to throw in their that I'm "heavy footed' usually with this edge power tuner.
Oil filter used was the new shell rotella filter.

Aluminum 1
Chromium 0
Iron 9
Copper 1
Lead 0
Tin 1
Molybdenum 9
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 48
Silicon 3
Sodium 3
Calcium 1105
Magnesium 930
Phosphorus 1016
Zinc 1182
Barium 0

SUS viscosity @ 210f 74.4
CST viscosity @ 100c 14.10
Flashpoint 410
Fuel% TRACE
Antifreeze% 0.0
Water% 0.0
Insolubles% 0.2
TBN not tested on this sample.
Blackstone commented to sample again in next 2,000 miles, but Im going to run longer then that, and also include a TBN next time.
Im curious what this winter should do to this oil with the warmups in cold weather.

Im curious as to why the flashpoint was so low compared to what they advertise their new oil at around 450F?

Have a great day oil guru's!

Last edited:
I had edited this post as I forgot to include the oil filter used...which was the new shell rotella filter!

Thank you for the reply! I have one more rotella filter left, and also an ac delco filter, but I will look up that filter for sure!
I'm curious as to what the winter temps will do to this oil with the cold warmups? This rig is my primary vehicle for the moment, and my drive to work is short distance BUT on my days off I do my best to run her up to temp! I'm gonna do another sample in the spring, and will report back here on the results.

Magnificent iron numbers on that UOA!

Switch to the Donaldson. Superior filter. Can't say for your application, but on mine, it is 100% efficient @ 20 microns.

I'm in SE Michigan and this oil does well in the winter, with additional the PAO base stocks compared to the other off the store shelf 5w40's it holds up really well IMO when my blackstone results came back.

Like stated the Donaldson Blue filter has better filtering efficiency, by the numbers: 100% efficient @ 20 microns & 98.7% efficient @ 15 microns, by comparison the the Shell Rotella filter is 90%-95% efficient @ 20 microns.

Rotella filters were talked about previously here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3766224/Rotella_Oil_Filters

It appears the Rotella filter may be a re-branded Purolator.

Why all of the fuss over the Rotella filter??? The UOA looks excellent, with the flashpoint being lower than it should be but not too low yet to condemn.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
I'm in SE Michigan and this oil does well in the winter, with additional the PAO base stocks compared to the other off the store shelf 5w40's it holds up really well IMO when my blackstone results came back.

Like stated the Donaldson Blue filter has better filtering efficiency, by the numbers: 100% efficient @ 20 microns & 98.7% efficient @ 15 microns, by comparison the the Shell Rotella filter is 90%-95% efficient @ 20 microns.

Rotella filters were talked about previously here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3766224/Rotella_Oil_Filters

It appears the Rotella filter may be a re-branded Purolator.

PAO? In your current stash of D1 ESP, Yes! Looking at this, I doubt there is much PAO left the CK-4 version:

D1 ESP 5w-40 CK-4, hopefully this an error

PP, FP and HTHS look terrible. MAN's long drain approvals are gone. And, where are the new CK-4 based OE specifications? Strangely, this PDS also mentions D1 ESP 0w-40, so I can only hope they messed something up in the x-mas rush.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a member on here "meathead" do a very long oil filter run on a orange can fram.. so I figure I am safe for awhile with the rotella filter. I am looking up that donaldson filter soon. As far as PAO is concerned I have heard rumor of this delvac one containing esters?? Perhaps in the older CI-4 version? Not sure on that one. Hopefully the new CK-4 version is going to hold up like my current CJ-4 stash.

If your'e looking at different filters FleetGuard is very good and is owned by Cummins. I have several applications where FleetGuards are used and they hold up very well.

With your UOA you don't have a filtering problem, just continue using whats working.

Thank you roadrunner. I also have seen your stellar UOA results with 10w30 hdeo's.. and may start using that weight in the future for long intervals. All of my UOA's have been with either 15 or 5w40 viscosities. I was originally afraid of one shearing back to a 20 weight, but as I see the 10w30 oils seem pretty shear stable.

Yes, 6 gallons of Delvac 1 ESP in the garage from the last rebate they offered.

I'll go back to CI-4 before using CK-4, additive packs look weak from VOA I've seen before.

Originally Posted By: Extreme-Duty
PAO? In your current stash of D1 ESP, Yes! Looking at this, I doubt there is much PAO left the CK-4 version:

The new Canadian sheet is looking similarly odd. If the information on the sheet is correct, perhaps much more effort is being put into Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, which already had more builder approvals in CJ-4 than did Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back