Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30 Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a thick 5w-30 with a nice low pour point. Might be a good option for my ecoboost if it becomes readily available.

The PDF gives no HTHS values, but this oil is way thicker than what your Accord or either of mine needs.
This oil and the other HDEOS in this grade that will follow will be the next generation of oils for owners of what will be the next generation of old Euro cars as well as the turbo Subie crowd.

Actually this one was primarily developed with larger HD commercial diesels in mind. Factory fill in them now is 10w30 in both conventional and syn blend varieties. This just adds a full syn and possibly better fuel economy to the mix. Those emissions systems needed a better oil to promote life cycle so CK-4 version was born. It is probably only going to be offered in a 1 gallon jug variety. Doubt it will ever show up as a 5 qt jug because of market orientation.

Originally Posted By: Garak
This will be an HTHS of 3.5 or higher, given the specifications it meets.

This is what I was thinking and is the reason that I wrote what I did.
Still, why couldn't SOPUS just provide the number that they already know?

I don't think Shell customarily provides it for its HDEOs. I don't know why, either, considering that we have a good idea of the range. But, Mobil often skips that, too. In any case, I'd wager it to be very close to that 3.5 value.

It does seem strange they wouldn't provide HTHS number. They will make sure they put in flash point, which hardly seems worth mentioning, but HTHS is one of the critical components that Detroit in its Lubrication Manual outlines as essential to choosing a proper oil. Sure, the product mentions it meets 93K218 Detroit specs, but without HTHS, there is no way to know for certain? With the now two specs out regarding HDEO, and those two specs having differing HTHS requirements, having those numbers available is more critical than ever to the end user.

Originally Posted By: volk06
That's a thick 5w-30 with a nice low pour point. Might be a good option for my ecoboost if it becomes readily available.

Yup...HTHS 3.5 and -48C with excellent shear stability and outstanding Seq 4A wear. I should have included this Shell video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks4TKUj9RiE

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
It does seem strange they wouldn't provide HTHS number. They will make sure they put in flash point, which hardly seems worth mentioning, but HTHS is one of the critical components that Detroit in its Lubrication Manual outlines as essential to choosing a proper oil. Sure, the product mentions it meets 93K218 Detroit specs, but without HTHS, there is no way to know for certain? With the now two specs out regarding HDEO, and those two specs having differing HTHS requirements, having those numbers available is more critical than ever to the end user.
I emailed SOPUS looking for the HTHS of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30. From the response you'd have thought I asked for the Coronal's secret recipe. It makes no sense to keep physical properties out of view. It's not like someone can't simply test it.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Sure, the product mentions it meets 93K218 Detroit specs, but without HTHS, there is no way to know for certain?

I would like to see it, but if it is CK-4 and E6, it must have the 3.5 minimum in any event. Contact Imperial Oil about the HTHS of a product that doesn't have it on the data sheet, and you'll get what happened to hatt, where they act as if you're CallerID were from the competition itself.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The PDF gives no HTHS values, but this oil is way thicker than what your Accord or either of mine needs.
This oil and the other HDEOS in this grade that will follow will be the next generation of oils for owners of what will be the next generation of old Euro cars as well as the turbo Subie crowd.

I'll still try it and will keep running T6.

Originally Posted By: volk06
The 0W-40 would work as well.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I assume that stating the CCS viscosity at -20C for a 5W30 must be a typo?

I should think so. If one isn't going to have a proofreader, at least have someone else with a passing familiarity with SAE J300 (or a copy of it right beside him) looking it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back