Can somebody explain biking fashion to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, bike clothing style is the worst thing about being a biker. Being decked in in lycra is not something I can ever do, which is good because I don't ever plan on racing road bikes. I mostly do mountain bikes which is slightly better fashion but even then, it's hard to find a jersey that isn't a billboard for the company that made the jersey or doesn't require sunglasses to look at with all the bright monstrosity of colors.

Has anybody found a solution?

I wear whatever the heck I want to.

I get a lot of guff (sorry, we have a swear sensor) from people for wearing loose shorts and less-than-skin-tight athletic t-shirts.

Nobody says anything once I've eaten up 80% of the pack.

I wear double sweat pants and sweat shirts in the winter and loose shorts in the summer. A lousy T shirt, turtle necks, and hooded sweat shirts with pull over wool cap. I wouldn't spend $5 on "biker's approved gear." Sorry, I'm into exercise, not fashion. I stay perfectly warm in winter. I look like a homeless person during my winter bike rides.

How can you tell the difference between the DWI and a real biker?

The biker does not have a lot cigarette while riding......

I love the padded shorts I have and they look normal like black canvas cargo shorts.I just wear those plastic t shirts they sell at outdoor stores and skip the jersey.

I wear Canari cotton shorts (I hate lycra) and a solid color Pearl Izumi jersey most of the time. Less than $50.00 total. Padded shorts and rear jersey pockets can make a difference. I also wear plain t-shirts sometimes. Plain white helmet, plain black MB shoes. Focus is on function, comfort, and visibility. Not fashion. But I don't pay attention if others want to gear up to the max. Cycling snobbery is a thing. Just not for me. YMMV.

Good suggestions. I was looking to buy some biking clothes because my hardcore cycling friends keep telling me that there are functional aspects of cycling clothing that I need to consider. So I surveyed REI, Performance bikes and a couple other sites and have come to the conclusion that I can't wear most of this [censored] and keep my dignity. I might go for some padded MTB shorts but that's as far as I'll go. I'll probably just buy some long sleeve, fast drying fitness shirts from Kohl's for like $20 and call it a day.

In the summer I bike wearing a bathing suit and a T-shirt.

In so far as cycling clothing it's as if they are having a contest to see who can make it the ugliest.

I would explain the clothes to you, but then I would be banned from this forum.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Has anybody found a solution?

Sure. When you ride wear what you want and don't fret over what other riders might think.

Simple, isn't it?

For all the biking I've done, I never had the desire to buy biking clothes. On the same note, I don't care for expensive high tech graphite frames. Both my bikes are 40 years old.

When it comes to biking, fancy clothes and fancy bikes will not make me a better rider, nor make the experience more enjoyable.

There is a legitimate purpose to the shorts. I wear padded liners, which are padded and do that same thing, but I wear them under athletic shorts.

Google if you care to learn more. There's plenty of info online.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
There is a legitimate purpose to the shorts. I wear padded liners, which are padded and do that same thing, but I wear them under athletic shorts.

Google if you care to learn more. I won't take the time to post more because the OP's post might be more about bashing than actually learning.

I hope no baggy shorts, hahaha.

I only dress the part when I race or go on a very long tour. Aside from that, the 7000+ miles a year I ride, most of the time I look like a bum. Even when riding my road bike. Just shoes. I can ride forever without needing the padding of cycling shorts for the most part.

You're looking in the wrong places. Mountain bike specific clothing is usually looser and more low key than road bike stuff. Yes there are jerseys with graphics but there are lots with plain solid colors too. As far as shorts go, why would you thing you have to wear lycra tights? There are plenty of baggy shorts with liners and you can buy just padded liners to put in regular old cargo shorts. Cycling clothing is usually more expensive than buying a shirt at WalMart, but it will last for years and years. I have cycling jerseys and jackets that are 20 years old and I ride a lot. Shorts don't last as long. You can find perfectly good active shirts (read not cotton) at Ross for $10. If I'm going to ride for an hour anything will do, if longer then mtb baggies and a good athletic shirt of some sort make the ride much more enjoyable.

And about those lycra tights, road cyclists don't wear them to show you their toned butts, try riding 30 or 50 or 75 miles and you'll painfully discover the advantage of the pad and shorts that don't chafe the skin. Having been riding bikes for 40 years none of the clothing bothers me and I've worn all of it at one time or another. These days I wear the tights under cargos and everyone is happy! Surely seeing people riding bikes in the fancy kit can't be as traumatizing as what you see every time you go in a WalMart....

I have learned over time that when riding long distances and/or in hot weather, good compression bibs with a chamois virtually eliminate skin chafing. I don't wear 'kit wear', instead I buy the most obnoxiously bright colored jerseys I can find, usually in a solid color. I firmly believe that because I ride so much, that the numbers are already stacked against me so I WANT to be seen from as far away as possible. I have a couple close calls every year and often wonder how much more dangerous it would be if I wore dark or neutral colored clothing.

AZjeff, goods points. As for the lycra, some of the guys I ride with are XC racers and they are lycra'd up just like roadies. I actually don't have a problem with lycra on pro/cat 1 racers. I figure it serves a functional purpose and they are getting paid and need every edge they can get. So looking good is probably not high on the priority list. But more and more, I'm seeing lycra'd up dudes showing up on local trails doing their 2 laps on the singletrack and calling it a day. And these guys are slow and inefficient. Aerodynamics from the lycra ain't gonna help these guys and yet, they choose to look terrible doing it.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
I have learned over time that when riding long distances and/or in hot weather, good compression bibs with a chamois virtually eliminate skin chafing. I don't wear 'kit wear', instead I buy the most obnoxiously bright colored jerseys I can find, usually in a solid color. I firmly believe that because I ride so much, that the numbers are already stacked against me so I WANT to be seen from as far away as possible. I have a couple close calls every year and often wonder how much more dangerous it would be if I wore dark or neutral colored clothing.

Fair enough wwilson. Your argument is the most convincing one I've heard.

I wear my brightest jerseys/jackets this time of year but for another reason. Not worried about cars, worried about hunters. Since blaze orange isn't mandatory here the hunters are all camo'd so you don't see them and the seasons are so bizarre you never know what's in season.

Cycling isn't the only sport where someone gets the full kit but can't back it up. Not worth thinking about and it gets sorted out when the trail or road goes up or down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back