Fluid film fail on me today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get off work this morning 6am was 27 degree , went out to unlock my truck, it open, but it wont shut, I look at the lock it was frozen, the fluid film was so thick, also have some ice on it too. I cant closed my truck door. lucky I have some de-icer spray, spray it on, let it sit and it finally let me lock the door, but since the fluid film is SO THICK, my car wont shut right. I think Imma wash the lock off with some carb or brake cleaner and going back to heavy duty silicon .

If in future my lock is frozen and my door wont shut, what the fastest way to unfroze the lock, I heard WD-40 work best, i havent use WD-40 in years.. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
You really shouldn't use 'wet' lubricants in a lock cylinder. Aside from your issue, they also attract dirt.

A while back I saw a guys work for fluid film, he spray it on the door latch to prevent it from sticking or frozen during winter . That what I did
frown.gif

27 degrees isnt exactly cold. Fluid film is viscous and likely not ge right product for that, but I doubt its much different than white lithium.

Regardless, cleaning it out andvtrying something else is prudent.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
27 degrees isnt exactly cold. Fluid film is viscous and likely not ge right product for that, but I doubt its much different than white lithium.

Regardless, cleaning it out andvtrying something else is prudent.

that is what I did, clean its out and spray on something else. But dont know which lubricate to use
confused.gif

Silicone or graphite would be a better lube.

Also I didn't know it got that cold in MS.

27 degrees isnt exactly cold.

JHZR2, we consider 40 degrees to be wicked cold out here in California.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

grin2.gif

In California water freezes at 50*f.

Originally Posted By: CT8

grin2.gif

In California, water doesn't exist

Originally Posted By: CT8

grin2.gif

It was in the upper 70s here yesterday and people were wearing SWEATERS!

I've been using Fluid Film for almost 3 yrs on our fleet of trucks. I go through about a Case a month at each location. I have never had an issue with cold weather operation of components to aprox -40f and road salt/dirt. Lock, key cylinders, hinges and any other wear surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back