Ok to use Champ Ecore oil filters??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 5 Champion Labs "Champ Brand" Ecore oil filters for my 03 Dakota 3.9. I got them on sale from Rock Auto for about $2 each. I thought it was a great deal, until I started reading Ecore reviews on this site. Now I am wondering if they are even safe to use and if they will mess up my engine?

They will not mess up your engine. They are not the best filters IMO but will not cause harm.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
They will not mess up your engine. They are not the best filters IMO but will not cause harm.

+1 GMs have been using them with their OLMs for a long time now. While not the greatest for $2 in an older vehicle? Enjoy them!

Originally Posted By: forkian
I bought 5 Champion Labs "Champ Brand" Ecore oil filters for my 03 Dakota 3.9. I got them on sale from Rock Auto for about $2 each. I thought it was a great deal, until I started reading Ecore reviews on this site. Now I am wondering if they are even safe to use and if they will mess up my engine?

What's the date code on those filters? Champ improved the plastic cage design round about 2008(not sure so check). If it's the old cage spacing, I would not trust them.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I have used e-core filters for 5K mile OCI with zero issues. Use them and sleep well

Even if you use an oil filter that has a split media or simply does not filter too well, the engine will sound fine and behave just like normal, BUT it could easily seriously reduce the life expectancy of the main bearings, rings, cams, valve guide oil seals and turbo bearings.
If the integral pressure relief valve fails to open it might be audible just after a cold start, in the form of an unexpected rattle.

The only way to know if a particular filter is a good one, is to cut it open and inspect it. That will give you a rough idea if it's a real bad one or not, BUT in the end the only way to know if it is a real good filter or not is to do a particle count UOA so you can compare figures with an OEM dealer supplied one.

Oil filter efficiency (The important figure is the one for a clean filter, not the one quoted in advertising, which is for a dirty filter) is just as important as the quality of the oil itself and in general terms you will get what you pay for.

I'm real fussy about filters, so only use OEM, Mann or Bosch filters sold by an authorised dealer and stamped made in Germany. If I was in the US, I would also be willing to use Mobil or Castrol oil filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Use them with pride!

Wow! "With pride?" Lol. I like that one.

[/quote]

What's the date code on those filters? Champ improved the plastic cage design round about 2008(not sure so check). If it's the old cage spacing, I would not trust them.[/quote]

The date codes are from Feb 2013. Says they are made in the USA, so hopefully they will be ok.

Originally Posted By: forkian
Now I am wondering if they are even safe to use and if they will mess up my engine?

AC Delco says they are good for 7000+ miles. But, what do they know?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Use them with pride!

Wow! "With pride?" Lol. I like that one.

GayFlag.jpeg

Good for a $2 filter.

You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't buy from the Rock Auto discount bin and expect anything other than a cheap filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back