How do you get rid of brake noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
The braking system on my bicycle is the old center pull type against the rim. I get horrible squeal when braking. What's the trick to get rid of the noise?

I've solved that by bending the linkage so that the front of the pads touch the rim first.

The rubber could be old, hard and glazed. Sand the pads to expose fresh rubber. The previous tip of having the front of the pad touch the rim first is also correct.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The braking system on my bicycle is the old center pull type against the rim. I get horrible squeal when braking. What's the trick to get rid of the noise?
I agree with the other posters about pad orientation and possible rubber deterioration.

I want to add, though, that those old centre-pull brakes can be very dangerous on the front - if brake cable coming down to the 'loop' that connects the two brake assemblies comes loose, the loop can be caught by the front tire and will apply the brakes full-on.

I found out the hard way - the bike flipped forward in an instant, smashing my helmet, breaking one front tooth, and taking a lot of skin off my face. That was in June of 2000, on my 1984 Norco Bigfoot.

Norco was sued by a number of people (not me) and almost went bankrupt over it. The solution? Easy - install a long bolt through the stem, which protrudes far enough to catch the loop if it drops toward the tire.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Not even after long descents when disc are hot?

Nope. Resin pads and rotors don't squeal. At least mine don't. Always quiet.

As others have noted, proper setup including toeing the pads is important. Additionally, if the pads are old or if you can't get them to stop squealing then its time for new pads. They are fairly cheap these days. I have used many with success including Avid, Aztec and Koolstop.

I've always found that braking is the antithesis of moving. If I'm biking then braking is reserved for only the end of the ride. Or, in other words, "you're doing it wrong".

Just kidding... I'd get new pads and adjust them. I was surprised at how rock hard the 5-6 year old pads on my road bike where. They still braked well enough (see above though), but it was good upgrade.

I always had this problem, as well as brake shuddering until I learned how to toe-in my brake pads. Wound up using a piece of paper folded up a few times to shim out the backs of the pads. Clamp brakes tight, then loosen the pad adjusters, make sure they are centered on the rim and you're done. Also helps to scrub the rim with a bit of Scotch Brite pad to make sure they are clean.

Put new brake pads on . They are not very costly. Make sure they are lined up with the rim proper. That should take care of it , if not try the toe in like scurvy suggested .

Kestas,

Removing and meticulously cleaning the pads with blue shops and windex could maybe help.

Then, disassemble and pivots/pivot points in the braking system where a cale/line runs or is held. Sand and dirt like to collect there and rust. Remove rust, lubricate, reinstall and then align your pads properly and make sure all excess cleaning supplies used are wiped down and then drag your brake for a bit then test it out a few times before you really need it.

Hope this helps!

I toed them in and the noise is gone. I learned this trick 43 years ago, but I didn't know if it was an urban myth or a valid fix. Thanks for verifying that it's a tried and true practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back