Revisiting my use of Lubro Moly MoS2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't posted here in a couple of years. When I was last active, I was using MoS2 in my '95 Miata. I noticed smoother running, potentially better fuel economy, and measured lower sound decibel readings at idle.

Soon after dropping from this forum, I noticed that there was a kind of sandy grit in the bottom of my oil change bin that drained out with every change. This is a daily driver that gets about 1000 miles a month, and gets an oil change about every 3500 miles with a full synthetic oil.

I then popped back on the forum and read a thread where someone seemed to have the same experience after using MoS2. So with the next oil change, I didn't use any MoS2 and there was no grit when I drained that oil. The following oil change, I put the MoS2 back in at full quantity, and the grit came back with the following oil drain. I haven't used any MoS2 since then, and there has not been any of that sandy grit since.

Not sure why it seemed to precipitate out these sand-like particles. The car gets driven at least six days out of seven so it rarely sits. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks.

No, never did. I guess that would have been definitive but I don't remember it occurring to me to do that.

During that time, I would have been using exclusively Mazda OEM filters, though I have no idea what the actual quality of those are. In any case, these particles were sand-like in size and would have certainly been filtered out if it circulated to the filter.

Liqui Moly makes some high quality fuel system /injectors cleaners. When it comes to oils there really is no reason to add anything other, modern oil are more than sufficient to do what they are designed to do.

LM is a additive producer, and it's normal they will have wide range of products, even ones that aren't really necessary - like engine oil additive.

Originally Posted By: Injured_Again
No, never did. I guess that would have been definitive but I don't remember it occurring to me to do that.

During that time, I would have been using exclusively Mazda OEM filters, though I have no idea what the actual quality of those are. In any case, these particles were sand-like in size and would have certainly been filtered out if it circulated to the filter .

That's odd. And who in this Forum Has had this same experience as you, with grit sand after using MoS2??

Last edited:
I didn't do any testing of the grit with a magnet. All I did was rub some of it between my gloved fingers and it was just like sand and did not break apart. The search engine here isn't so great, but I think what I read might have been from user "Trav" and this is one thread I found in which he mentions MoS2 coming out of suspension:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3653269/

I still have half a bottle of MoS2 and am due for an oil change. I suppose I can try it again since the car it is going in is one that I'm going to drive until the wheels fall off and then I'm going to basically junk it. I haven't had any similar particles come out when the oil is drained since stopping the MoS2 so it should be pretty definitive if it happens again.

Yes it fell out of suspension and ended up in the bottom of the pan but I cant say it was like grit, whether it all fell out or only partially I cant say either but it did make a mess.
I wont use it or any solid again in any engine, the Ceratec also fell out in the air compressor, I found small white clumps of stuff throughout the system in places the oil is out of the constant flow stream, the compressor runs 12hrs (normal duty cycle) everyday. While this appears to be harmless it also shows the product doesn't seem to stay mixed. I did pre-mix it with the compressor oil and shook it well prior to pouring it in.
Based on my own experience with these products I am not impressed enough to buy again or recommend them.

49.gif

I always drive at least 15 minutes before getting the car up on ramps so I don't know if the MoS2 falls out of suspension in the oil pan. Probably couldn't tell anyway as the oil is pretty dark then anyway. The sandy particles were always in the bottom of the oil catch pan after I had let the oil cool and then poured it back into jugs to be recycled.

I'll pour the rest of the MoS2 into the crankcase with this next oil change and see what happens.

That sand should be dirt from the undercarriage or suspension or the bottom cover of the car. I had that impression once with atf, but was when I unscrew the drain plug, even after cleaning its surface.

I am 99.9999999999% positive that is not the case. It's pretty clean underneath and the grit was correlated with MoS2 use.

I did check in the garage and the can I have is Motor Oil Saver, not the MoS2, so I don't have any to try and don't think I'll be buying one just to test.

I think what your seeing is the graphite that is in the MOS2 which is almost like fine particles of sand . This is what fills those metal area which have been worn. I have used it and Restore which also has a fine sand like substance that you can feel when you put just a small amount on your fingers.

Pretty unscientific honestly. There's no evidence it either harmed your engine, nor is there evidence is provided wear protection. It's possible that whatever you felt sank to the bottom of the pan and just sat there until it was drained. Without any oil analysis though, it's all moot.

Totally true, but like I said in my original post, I was a fan of MoS2 and used it, noticing smoother running and lower idle sound levels when using a radio shack sound pressure meter. The precipitate, whatever it was, was correlated to those oil intervals where I used the MoS2. I didn't have those particles before using it, and didn't use it afterwards.

I'm due for an oil change so I'll go ahead and buy another can of the MoS2, and will put half of it in this oil change and the other half in the next one. If anything precipitates out, I'll save it for someone who wants to test it.

I am definitely very interested in the phenomenon described in the OP, but I did poke around and find that the particle size in LM MoS2 is supposed to be 0.2 to 0.5um (200 to 500nm for you nanotechnologists). This is far smaller than sand and passes through oil filters with no issues whatsoever, so I don't think the OPer can be seeing the raw MoS2 grains falling out of solution in his pan. Perhaps something is causing them to clump up, or...????
I am definitely going to keep an eye out for future developments in this thread...

It also might be worthy of note that the manufacturer reports that their product has a pour point of -20C and a flash point of 200C (quite a bit lower than the motor oils I've looked at), as well as a total solid content of about 3%. Click the TDS link on the page below...

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2009.html?OpenDocument&land=US

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Injured_Again
Totally true, but like I said in my original post, I was a fan of MoS2 and used it, noticing smoother running and lower idle sound levels when using a radio shack sound pressure meter. The precipitate, whatever it was, was correlated to those oil intervals where I used the MoS2. I didn't have those particles before using it, and didn't use it afterwards.

I'm due for an oil change so I'll go ahead and buy another can of the MoS2, and will put half of it in this oil change and the other half in the next one. If anything precipitates out, I'll save it for someone who wants to test it.

A Blackstone analysis is pretty cheap. If you really want to know anything - start doing oil analysis. Run 2-3 OCI's with MOS2 and an analysis for each, then stop using MOS2 and do the same.

^+1 you can even order a napa kit from napa or a wix kit from amazon for 15-20 bucks. It has TBN, but no comments or average values that Blackstone has. They (blackstone) have good service and give insight as to what problems can come from your specific engine. I'm subbing to this thread as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back