Hello ACEA 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should've just waited a month and just call it ACEA 2017
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: supercity
Originally Posted By: LotI
No more A1/B1 or any oils less than 2.9 HTHS?

Look at C5

Got it. Lower TBN but 0.5% more FEthan before

Oh dear. The usual dogs breakfast painfully pieced together by a load of fractious OEMs who can't agree what day it is, never mind what a sensible, unified oil specification might look like. Utter meaningless drivel that bears no relation whatsoever to what the ordinary man is the street might experience.

Go sit in the corner ACEA and don't forget to wear your dunce's hat!

If you use non major brand oils, don't forget that Acea specs are based on a self certification system, they might be good specs, but no one is checking for initial or ongoing compliance.
I was surprised that the download of their specs actually confirms that!

Perhaps some engine oil companies should write, "Registered with Acea for A3/B4" etc.

Last edited:
Outside North America API licenced oils are few and far between too but all the major still make the claims.

For Ax/Bx oils they claim Phosphorous levels to be in "report"... Where can I find that" report"?

E9 oils have Phosphorous levels 0,12% by mass? Is that 1200ppm...and they still claim that they are low saps?

I know oils are self certified to the ACEA specs but where for example they are incorporated into an OEM spec for example MB saying that a 229.3 or 229.5 oil must meet ACEA A3/B4, surely we can safely assume that they really have tested that the oil meets A3/B4.

Originally Posted By: barryh
I know oils are self certified to the ACEA specs but where for example they are incorporated into an OEM spec for example MB saying that a 229.3 or 229.5 oil must meet ACEA A3/B4, surely we can safely assume that they really have tested that the oil meets A3/B4.

Only if the OEM lists the oils as approved, or in the case of VW, a VW list includes the oil in terms of which of their specs it is supposed to comply with.
The major brand oil companies like Mobil, Castrol, Shell (Inc Penn and other Sopus group companies) and Liqui Moly seem to be reliable in terms of "Recommended For" lists and have tested the oils correctly several times to rule out batch variability. Also they do repeat the tests if they change the base stock mix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
E9 oils have Phosphorous levels 0,12% by mass? Is that 1200ppm...and they still claim that they are low saps?

They have SA at 1.0% or below (or at least the previous sequences did).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back