Bolts that come with threadlocker already applied?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here come across some part or kit where the fasteners already come with a dried blue ring of what is basically thread locker?

Does anyone know what it is? I don't believe it is your "typical" Loctite threadlocker because all the ones I can find in stores seem to be anaerobic -- they won't ever dry if you try to brush some onto the threads.

It would be handy to have the kind that can be dried on prior to assembly, especially for working in tight quarters where you may end up inadvertently touching and contaminating the wet stuff.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I use polythene. Not quite so convenient to apply, but freely and widely available.

Please tell me more about this. Is this a thread locker with plastic or are you using plastic bits as a thread locker?

The hub nut that is used on my Silverado is a one time use nut due to the fact that it comes pre-"lock-tited". Everybody reuses them, I dont because I figure that stuff is on there for a reason,

I bought a brake caliper bolt for my F150 that came with some thread locker on the threads (guess why, the old one fell out because I did not use any thread locker).

Since then I bought a Locktite Quick Stick (248/blue, but there are other types also). I got mine on e-bay.
The stuff is awesome. Just rub the thread against the end of the stick and your good to go.

We use them often on Submarines (for obvious reason). A locking compound can be used if the fastener is reused.
We have a complete manual on fastener criteria.

I will find out what we use tomorrow.

In certain instances we use the anaerobic compound torque, back off to expose the threads and re-torque.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Has anyone here come across some part or kit where the fasteners already come with a dried blue ring of what is basically thread locker?

Many times. Not sure what brand. But it worked fine.

I was told by an engineer at ford, that the dried blue or other color "loctite" is really a 2 part epoxy biased " loctite". Long self life and does not go bad. The base and the activator are in the paste but not mixed, when installing you smash the two parts together and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back