Forged internals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any production cars that have forged internals anymore? Connecting rods, pistons, crank etc. I know that most co companies use parts made from pressed powered steel I believe the process is called MIM parts? When did car companies get away from forged parts and go to pressed steel parts?

Forged parts cost more and with CAD they designers can engineer all the parts that work well yet leave little money on the table when it comes to giving you extra anything.

Generally supercharged and turbocharged gasoline engines will still have forged cranks. The Corvette LT4 engine has a forged crank and forged pistons. But the LT1 engine has a cast ductile iron crank and permanent mold cast pistons. GM sells crate engines up to 525 HP with cast crank and rods. Pickup truck diesels have forged cranks and cast pistons. Most gasoline engines in the world these days have forged powder metal connecting rods with fracture-split caps. GM makes cams for all of the Gen V engines out of 5150 steel billet. The rocker arms for the Gen V's are investment cast steel. I believe the Ford GT350 flat crank engine uses a forged crank and pistons. Cast ductile iron cranks these days have very good fatigue properties due to the fillet rolling process that is used to induce residual compressive stresses in the journal fillet. Heavy duty diesels will use permanent mold cast pistons in the lower ratings of a given family, then option up to single-piece cast ductile iron, and then two piece articulated with a steel crown and cast aluminum skirt.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Ford coyote 5.0 has had forged crank and rods since it's introduction. Forged pistons are not common for production vehicles.
Coyote has powder metal sinter forged rods. I wouldn't call them forged. I think pretty much everyone has went to this tech for rods.

The 3.5 Eco-boost too.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
As a general rule.....All Connecting Rods are Forged, whether they are Steel, Powdered Metal or Aluminum.

I don't think this is accurate.

Every engine I've taken apart has had cast I-beam rods.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
As a general rule.....All Connecting Rods are Forged, whether they are Steel, Powdered Metal or Aluminum.

I don't think this is accurate.

Every engine I've taken apart has had cast I-beam rods.

I think he meant the newer engines. They need the lower mass of forged for better fuel economy

I found this on gmauthority.com regarding the 1.4L Turbo EcoTec (LUV) in the Chevy Cruze (1st gen.):

Quote:
Rotating Assembly: with a reinforced, solid-cast crankshaft, the 1.4L Turbo Ecotec offers strength and stiffness, particularly at higher rpm, to support the boosted cylinder pressure of the turbo system. The connecting rods are forged steel and the lightweight, hypereutectic pistons are designed with a thicker crown area and a unique ring pack to withstand the boost pressure and heat generated by the turbo system.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, I have not met a cast rod since the 1950's Pontiacs ... They were common in pre-WW-II world. But went away as power climbed above 100 BHP ...

Other than the Super Dutys, Pontiac V8 used cast rods in almost all engines. (Even the Ram Air 400s used them.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, I have not met a cast rod since the 1950's Pontiacs ... They were common in pre-WW-II world. But went away as power climbed above 100 BHP ...

Other than the Super Dutys, Pontiac V8 used cast rods in almost all engines. (Even the Ram Air 400s used them.)

Well, there's cast iron, and then there is cast iron. The old Pontiacs used cast Arma Steel connecting rods. Arma Steel is a commercial name for pearlitic malleable iron, which was the high strength cast iron that had good ductility until cast ductile iron took its place starting in the late 60's. The Pontiac Iron Duke I4 had cast connecting rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back