Mazda should scrap any Rotary and focus on Furai

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this car was a concept that caught on fire, and to this day the chard remains are of unknown location. Mazda had a Rotary hybrid possibly in the works, but I'm not sure how that would work out. Doesn't the Rotary need to rev out fully for health reasons? Do they plan to use 0w20. This hybrid concept is bizarre and doesn't make sense. The Rotary was meant for performance, not a hybrid drive train. Mazda could build the Furai in small batches like the NSX. The Furai is an amazing car.

Mazda puts a lot of emphasis on engineering and it was their engineering staff that Ford depended on during their time together to solve a myriad of problems and this was acknowledged by people within Ford. It appears that the separation is a very good thing for Mazda not only for the cars themselves but also for customer service.

I would take seriously anything Mazda might do with a new style power plant and be confident that Mazda will take care of customers that are early adopters just like they did with the rotary cars.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
This hybrid concept is bizarre and doesn't make sense. The Rotary was meant for performance, not a hybrid drive train

Wankel can revv up to 20.000 revolutions (and more)... Couple that engine with good dinamo and it will make sense...

Like every internal combustion engine they are more efficient and polute less when kept in a very narrow rpm range. The rotary has almost electric motor smoothness possibly making it ideal for this application if by letting the electric motor do the grunt work and keeping the rotary at its most efficient rpm it may get a new lease on life.

The wankels have the best of all worlds! Their owners can claim 1.3 Liter POWAH!! with the power of a V6, the fuel mileage of a V8, and the emissions and oil burning of a 2-stroke!

Oh and the longevity of the infamous aluminum sleeve Vega engine
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Plus it is smaller...lighter...because of that there is more space for batteries onboard

I get what you're saying, but unless there's a performance button like the CRZ to rev out the Wankle... I see reliability issues. Are they going to continue using dyno oil or 0W20 Syn=Fail unless they made huge strides to allow for Syn in a Rotary Ashless is key..... and thicker is less burn off

Originally Posted By: Trav
Like every internal combustion engine they are more efficient and polute less when kept in a very narrow rpm range. The rotary has almost electric motor smoothness possibly making it ideal for this application if by letting the electric motor do the grunt work and keeping the rotary at its most efficient rpm it may get a new lease on life.

Maybe. But rotaries still have those rectangular combustion chambers, which are tough for emissions-control at any RPM.

Those large combustion chambers are not only prone to unnburnt hydrocarbons. That's easy enough to deal with. Larger problem is poor thermal efficiency. That is not as easy to deal with.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Those large combustion chambers are not only prone to unnburnt hydrocarbons. That's easy enough to deal with.

Yes, but they're troublesome in the context of CAFE regulations, where every molecule counts.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Larger problem is poor thermal efficiency. That is not as easy to deal with.

And that's a double-edged sword: It's good for NOx, but bad for CAFE.

As much as I'm impressed with the concept of the rotary -- I owned one for two years -- I think the rotary's time is past.

After researching the Wankel further in Depth... I discovered that the motor itself has some serious design flaws. I love the Wankel, but these unavoidable defects kill the Wankel

After researching the Wankel further in Depth... I discovered that the motor itself has some serious design flaws. I love the Wankel, but these unavoidable defects kill the Wankel

Felix Wankel's greatest achievement was in the area of sealing.Sealing technology requires that the seal actually seal for the shortest possible length (like a bubble is the smallest surface area sealed volume).

The wankel, per unit volume has a ridiculous amount of stationary seal area (trochoid peanut shaped gasketx2), and similarly for the sweeping seals (apex and rotor sides)....compare them to a regular fire ring and piston ring pack for comparison...Only worse IMO is the Sarich, and when I was 12, I came up with a vane type compressor "two stroke" which would have been worse still.

Then volume/heat loss area, the wankel loses again.

It allowed ridiculously low octane (even acceptable on hydrogen), but made a bad engine.

Surprised (really) that it made is so long, although perversely happy that it did.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Felix Wankel's greatest achievement was in the area of sealing.Sealing technology requires that the seal actually seal for the shortest possible length (like a bubble is the smallest surface area sealed volume).

The wankel, per unit volume has a ridiculous amount of stationary seal area (trochoid peanut shaped gasketx2), and similarly for the sweeping seals (apex and rotor sides)....compare them to a regular fire ring and piston ring pack for comparison...Only worse IMO is the Sarich, and when I was 12, I came up with a vane type compressor "two stroke" which would have been worse still.

Then volume/heat loss area, the wankel loses again.
grin.gif

It allowed ridiculously low octane (even acceptable on hydrogen), but made a bad engine.

Surprised (really) that it made is so long, although perversely happy that it did.

I think the Wankel made it so long, because Mazda didn't start out as an automaker, but a Wankel Rotary scooter maker. I've searched for one of these scooters, but my attempt has yielded 0. I think Mazda should get back into scooters and possibly generators like Subaru Robin. The Subaru generators aren't Boxers
frown.gif
unfortunately, but a Rotary could downsize the generator size. Who knows at this point Trump could roll back the EPA [censored] and we could have a Furai
grin.gif

They did win Le Mans with a rotary, not that it has much to do with a rotary for street usage, but its an impressive achievement for an engine design.
I don't think Mazda has the cash for burning on a halo car ATTM, but I always thought they should've put the 2.3 mazdaspeed motor into the RX-8, or done a rwd Mazda3 off the miata drivetrain.

Is this type of motor friendlier to mis-shifting from say 3rd to 2nd. Miss-shifting plagued the RSX Type S and I think the FG Civic Si. If you didn't catch the revs you could bend the valves, crack the cams, and flat out blow up the K20 and K24 motor. Is the rotary more forgiving?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tman220
The wankels have the best of all worlds! Their owners can claim 1.3 Liter POWAH!! with the power of a V6, the fuel mileage of a V8, and the emissions and oil burning of a 2-stroke!

Oh and the longevity of the infamous aluminum sleeve Vega engine
laugh.gif

Hahahahha, all true. Even so:

Mazda-RX-792P1.jpg

actually Wankel rpm is misleading. yes, the crankshaft is at 20K. The rotor is one third of that, or 6666 rpm, not all that high.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back