Bad dealership experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dmdx86
Goes right along with the story from a friend of mine who tried to test drive a Lexus. Salesman laughed at him and told him to go to the Toyota dealer down the road because he wasn't dressed like someone who could afford a Lexus (he wore a raggedy t-shirt and jeans). The other Lexus dealer in town was happy to let him test drive and made the sale.

Similarly, when I pulled up in front of a dealership in my 1990 4Runner, I could get all the way to the parts counter without being accosted.

But when I pulled up in a black, S-class Mercedes, I couldn't get ten feet from my car before meeting a salesman...

I'm just shocked that so many people feel they need a brand new car, and continue to give these clowns their business. Can't wait until Tesla gets the Model 3 up and running and gets the pre-orders out. Then everyday Joe's can go buy one without getting robed by a dealership.

What if it were a "used" 2015/2016 Hellcat with 500-3000 miles? Would the dealership still refuse to let anyone test drive it until purchased? Those are still worth pretty close to the price of a new one? I wouldn't ever purchase a car that I couldn't test drive. How are you going to know if that car "fits" you until you have driven it? I've been very close to purchasing expensive used cars that seemed like a done deal...until I drove them and they weren't quite right.

When I bought my 2002 Lincoln with 22K miles from a small dealer, I almost considered not test driving it on nearby I-95 because it's so busy and crazy in the Bridgeport area. 45-55 mph on local roads should have been sufficient. I took up on I-95 any ways to 75-80 mph. And good thing. There was some wind noise coming from the windshield area that just didn't seem right. It wasn't the sun roof. Never had seen this before. I had them write it into the contract that if it needed anything to do with a windshield/wind noise it would be paid for by them. A few days after I bought it I took it to a windshield place. Sure enough, the windshield seal didn't hold pressure. New windshield and labor ran over $200....and didn't come out of my pocket because I decided to test drove the car over 65 mph.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
(1) I wanted to testdrive a Dodge Challenger Hellcat. I expected to hear "no" but the manager was very pleasant and said, "Of course! But it's in the shop getting some work done. Please come back Monday."

I returned Tuesday and there the car was sitting, waiting to drive, but the friendly manager suddenly said, "I'm sorry no." But you said I could testdrive it! "Of course you can sir.... after you buy it."

I then told him I will NEVER buy a car unless I get to drive it first, and I don't like being lied too and said, "I'm not surprised really. This is the same dealership that told me my radiator was leaking when nothing was wrong with it. Your mechanic also told me my wiper blades were "done for" when they were only 3 months old! Your whole organization is filled with dishonest people."

1 star review on yelp. Oh and I did buy a Challenger, but from a different dealer.

Would you buy a Hellcat that had 300 or 400 miles on it?

I have a friend who sells Porsches (and occasionally cars like the Hellcat). There are a lot of "strokes" that are out for a joyride on higher end performance vehicles with no intention of buying nor even the ability to afford them and piling up miles on them devalues them considerably. Certainly more so than racking up miles on a Civic will. I think he has some leeway, but often they ask for a credit app in order to test drive...

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
High powered cars have a long history of being destroyed on test drives.

It's not even that. He's talking about a premium, limited allocation car and expects them to just hand him the keys acting like he's looking at a used Neon.

If there is any hope of a sale at all on a regular daily driver type car, most salesman will sprain their elbows pushing you into the driver seat...

Maybe "the sales manager" should have explained that to him. But there's a difference between buying a "Challenger" and a "Hellcat Challenger"...

Originally Posted By: gman2304
https://www.craction.com/1123/2017-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-msrp-price- 'Oh and I did buy a Challenger,'

But, did you buy the 'HELLCAT'?

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The best time to shop for a new car is when you don't really need one yet.

Or the end of the month in late autumn to late spring...

Here's my sales story that didn't end well...
The following email that I sent to the "Internet Business Development Manager" pretty much says it all:

Dear Ms. xxxxx
My wife and I are no longer interested in buying that car. Please let me give you a bit of background information that will explain why.

On August 17 my wife and I drove to Kings Ford in Cincinnati to look at another Ford CPO Mustang GT Premium. That car was Guard in color and had every option your Mustang has plus it had the Enhanced Security Package. It had 890 miles on it and the asking price was $37,000. Before we even began to negotiate our salesperson offered us $4,500 for our car and cut $500 off the Mustangs price- $32,000 plus tax, title and license. I foolishly decided to go home to think about it and the car sold soon after- on the same day I decided to buy it.

I next located your car on Autotrader and-before driving up-my wife and I decided that if we could make the same deal($32,000 plus TTL) we would buy it- even though your car had less equipment, double the miles, and was painted a color we did not like nearly as well as Guard.

When we arrived and asked for you we were told you were in "Internet Sales" and that we would need to work through a salesperson- even though I had set up, as you put it, a "VIP appointment" with you. When we sat down with your salesperson we were informed that the CPO certification was not included in the "internet price" and further that our trade was only worth $3,000 because of "damage to the rear."
(I later learned that the upcharge for CPO coverage was buried in small print at the bottom of the ad) Secondly, my car has no damage to the rear and has never sustained any damage to the rear.

In addition, my wife and I did not appreciate having to ask in order to get our keys back and to further find that our car had been moved around the corner out of our sight. To top it all off, as we were leaving the manager(Mr. xxxxx I believe), stated, "Give me a number I can take to the General Manager"- even though I had told our salesperson five minutes earlier that we'd accept $34,000 out the door and use Ford Credit financing.

In short, we spent five hours of our time traveling to and from your dealership only to be treated in a dishonest and rude fashion- and as a result we do not wish to deal with Joe Blow Ford either now or in the future.

By the way, that letter was sent in response to an email from Ms. xxxxx making a counter offer within $500 of our number and offering to have the Mustang driven down to us and our trade picked up.

Contrast this with my visit to a BMW dealer four months later: I had made an appointment with the Internet Sales Manager at the BMW dealer as well- but when we arrived the car was sitting in front of the showroom; we were greeted by a young salesperson and before I finished giving him my name he said, "We've been expecting you! Let me tell him you are here." The ISM copied my license and gave me the keys, saying he didn't need to ride along because he knew I was familiar with the car. When we got back the USM appraised the trade- hitting my number on the nose. The ISM wrote up an offer, I countered at $500 less. The deal was accepted and that was that. I think the whole process took less than 45 minutes.

Needless to say, I gave the ISM and the dealership the highest possible survey scores and also gave them positive reviews on Yelp, Dealer Rater, Edmunds, and Google.
And I hammered the Ford dealer on those same pages....

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Would you buy a Hellcat that had 300 or 400 miles on it?

I have a friend who sells Porsches (and occasionally cars like the Hellcat). There are a lot of "strokes" that are out for a joyride on higher end performance vehicles with no intention of buying nor even the ability to afford them and piling up miles on them devalues them considerably. Certainly more so than racking up miles on a Civic will. I think he has some leeway, but often they ask for a credit app in order to test drive...

Yes, if I had the coin I would buy one with 300-400 miles with a slight discount and no signs of wear or tear otherwise. If it were already a model year old....heck yes. That discount would be considerable for a nearly 1 yr old 'new' car.

I was viewing a Utube video yesterday from a guy who bought his Hellcat new and sold it within 8 months and 7500 miles on it for only a "couple thousand dollar" loss. His logic was that he had his fun with the car and wanted to get out of it while the 2015 resale values were still very strong....and before some major problem(s) occurred. His had been in the shop several times for warranty issues, typical of these early build versions. I'm not sure I'm buying the story that 300 miles means a big discount of a current Hellcat. It wasn't for this guy.

Why I sold my Hellcat - go to 1:00 or 2:36

This guy has 50,000 followers on his channel. Now has a Z06. Seems to know a LOT about Hellcats from his various videos.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
What if it were a "used" 2015/2016 Hellcat with 500-3000 miles? Would the dealership still refuse to let anyone test drive it until purchased? Those are still worth pretty close to the price of a new one? I wouldn't ever purchase a car that I couldn't test drive. How are you going to know if that car "fits" you until you have driven it? I've been very close to purchasing expensive used cars that seemed like a done deal...until I drove them and they weren't quite right.

When I bought my 2002 Lincoln with 22K miles from a small dealer, I almost considered not test driving it on nearby I-95 because it's so busy and crazy in the Bridgeport area. 45-55 mph on local roads should have been sufficient. I took up on I-95 any ways to 75-80 mph. And good thing. There was some wind noise coming from the windshield area that just didn't seem right. It wasn't the sun roof. Never had seen this before. I had them write it into the contract that if it needed anything to do with a windshield/wind noise it would be paid for by them. A few days after I bought it I took it to a windshield place. Sure enough, the windshield seal didn't hold pressure. New windshield and labor ran over $200....and didn't come out of my pocket because I decided to test drove the car over 65 mph.

^^This time a million. Who the [censored] buys a vehicle without test driving it? When I bought my first 3000GT (from the Mitsubishi dealer) they tossed me the keys and told me to keep it for the weekend and enjoy it (I bought it the following Monday). A few years later when I was in the market for another 300ZX (I already had a Z31 turbo) the first one I looked at,at the Nissan dealership,they did the same exact thing,handed me the keys and told me to keep it for the weekend to see what I thought about it. I didn't buy that one because I decided I wanted a standard instead of an automatic.

I've test driven many cars over the years that looked stone MINT and were advertised as mint. One single test drive would always reveal alot of undisclosed issues.

The idea is to walk away and not give them business. I see no point in trying to argue because it reinforces the idea that you want to buy from them and nobody else. The same goes for wasting over an hour on going back and forth to the manager. My local Dodge dealer has been good so far and the buying experience was great. Probably the lessons learned back from 2006 had something to do with it as well.

Last edited:
'No I didn't like the Hellcat supercharger noise.'

^ If you think of a 707 HP supercharged engine at full throttle as 'noise'..... then you did the right thing!

Here's the deal.

If you go to purchase or test drive a high-end vehicle, then the vehicle you're driving that day matters. Your personal appearance may or may not matter. Where I'm from, wealthy buyers dress mundanely, so salespeople realize this and don't judge the buyer based on their attire but they DO judge the buyer based on the car they're driving that day. But you said that happened in SoCal, so I bet salespeople judge the buyer on both their car and clothes. SoCal is a vain place. What were you driving and how were you dressed?

I've been to high-end dealers (6-figure cars), and yes they ignore you if you don't look the part. Right or wrong, that's how it is. They know there's a small risk they're losing a sale, but they accept that risk because the alternative is letting every Jack and Harry testdrive an expensive car.

They won't care if you come back to show off your new Challenger. The economy is strong now; they can sell cars easily. I recommend don't burn any bridges if there's a chance you need to go there for warranty service someday.

Last time I went to a stealer (in Las Vegas) he tried to "resurface" my brake discs, and I said no. He became very stern saying, "You MUST do this procedure, or you might be unhappy with your new brake pads. It WILL vibrate."

I didn't enjoy being talked to like a scolded schoolboy, so I asked for the difference in price, which was about $50, so I said "no". 30,000 miles later and I feel no vibration or other flaws that the guy warned me about..... just trying to pad the bill with not-needed work.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

Yes, if I had the coin I would buy one with 300-400 miles with a slight discount and no signs of wear or tear otherwise. If it were already a model year old....heck yes. That discount would be considerable for a nearly 1 yr old 'new' car.

Generally speaking, at least until Dodge decided to put them in almost mass production last I looked, they ain't lasting a year and you're not getting much of a discount...

Quote:
I was viewing a Utube video yesterday from a guy who bought his Hellcat new and sold it within 8 months and 7500 miles on it for only a "couple thousand dollar" loss. His logic was that he had his fun with the car and wanted to get out of it while the 2015 resale values were still very strong....and before some major problem(s) occurred. His had been in the shop several times for warranty issues, typical of these early build versions. I'm not sure I'm buying the story that 300 miles means a big discount of a current Hellcat. It wasn't for this guy.

Why I sold my Hellcat - go to 1:00 or 2:36

This guy has 50,000 followers on his channel. Now has a Z06. Seems to know a LOT about Hellcats from his various videos.

Well, that's his story. People like to say how much they paid for their house (or made on it selling) and how little they paid for their car (or lost when trading it in)!

Originally Posted By: xfactor9

They won't care if you come back to show off your new Challenger. The economy is strong now; they can sell cars easily. I recommend don't burn any bridges if there's a chance you need to go there for warranty service someday.

I agree with most of what you're saying. But even in Cali I imagine if a guy walks in in a teeshirt and jeans but sort of acts the part he probably will get a test drive if he seems at all serious. It's not just about clothes, it's about qualifying...

And I doubt the service dept. gives a shat about the sales dept., they often hate each other anyways...

In MANY (most) cases, not machining the rotors (or replacing them) WILL end up giving you a pulsation problem, particularly if you drive in an area where there are hills. The dealer was trying to protect himself. If he replaced your pads and did not mention the resurfacing, I am sure you would have been back telling him how they screwed up your simple brake job. You had the right to decline, and did so. If you experienced no problem, good for you.
I made that mistake...twice. Once I replaced the pads myself, once I paid for it. I learned. Now if I replace the pads I also replace the rotors (in most cases it is no more expensive to replace them than to machine the old ones)

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Last time I went to a stealer (in Las Vegas) he tried to "resurface" my brake discs, and I said no. He became very stern saying, "You MUST do this procedure, or you might be unhappy with your new brake pads. It WILL vibrate."

I didn't enjoy being talked to like a scolded schoolboy, so I asked for the difference in price, which was about $50, so I said "no". 30,000 miles later and I feel no vibration or other flaws that the guy warned me about..... just trying to pad the bill with not-needed work.

It was always pretty standard to resurface rotors in the old days. Back then they were pretty heavy and had lots of metal on them. Nowadays they're somewhat thin and lots of times it's not worth it to resurface them, just about the same price to get new ones. It basically depends how bad the old rotors are, if you caught it early and the pads didn't do much damage to the rotors, you could just slap another set of pads on it and get away with it which it sounds like you did.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
And I doubt the service dept. gives a shat about the sales dept., they often hate each other anyways...

I can confirm this. Not so much hate, more of a distrust.

Also the people with money here tend to go out or car shop in t-shirt and jeans. I have seen more than a few Hollywood or sports types at my work and they are always dressed very casual. However you can tell right away when someone is posing or means business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back