Some advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject says I need some help!
I drive a Renault Laguna 1.9dci 2004 with 220k kms in it! Always changing oil at 10000km,as the winter came I noticed that the engine is working louder at start up and the oil needs more than one minute to get everywher (engine noise decreses) the oil what is in the car has 6500km on it. I use recomended Elf (Brand of Total) 900sxr 5w-40! Owner manual stats that the oil needs to be Acea A3/B4, plus the factor of winter conditions -20C = 0w-xx,-15C = 5w-xx and -10C=10w-xx.
My thoughts are the oil is not working as it shoud be so I am thinking about to change it,so here is the place where i need the advice which oil to use!

Listed some oils what i consider to be better and thinking about it to buy:
Liqui Moly 5w-40 Diesel Tech
Liqui Moly 5w-40 Diesel Syntoil
Ravenol HDS 5w-30 this oil is Acea C3- but the 2005 model uses this one
Elf Evolution 900SXR 5w-30

Andi have to thanks the site to letting me be here!!
laugh.gif

Sounds like the anti-drainback valve is failing in the oil filter. Put a quality oil filter and 5w30 or less and report back.

Same car as mine!

If you post an audio clip I might be able to make a better guess at what is wrong.

Wild guess but I would be inclined to change the oil & filter just in case the pressure relief valve in the filter is kaput.
Any major brand FS 0 or 5w40 with an Acea A3/B4 cert will do a good job, although the best UOA results I've had were from Shell Ultra 5w40 and Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5w40.
Just for a laugh I did one run with Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w40 as I got a can for free. It's a C3 rated oil and the results were very bad, as it doubled all of the main wear metals, which showed that this type of engine likes a good slug of Zinc and other AW add's.

The rattle could easily be from something other than the main block, like the alternator pulley or other Aux belt systems, so it makes sense to send off a sample for a UOA. Although it's rare some injection system faults can also cause a temperature dependent rattle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Sounds like the anti-drainback valve is failing in the oil filter. Put a quality oil filter and 5w30 or less and report back.

You can use an 0 or 5w30 during the winter, BUT there is a temperature limit of 35c for the use of 30 grades in the F9Q2 diesel and this car is an old one, so using a thin oil is not a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back