Registration/Title Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I may be buying a project car in the next day or two and have a question regarding registration. The car will need some work so I don't want to pay for insurance for the first month since I won't be driving it at that time. Can I buy the car With just the title and bill of sale and not register it for a while? Any risks associated with this?
As always, thank you all for the tremendous help!

Every state is different so I would check with the local BMV. If it were my car I would register it with insurance and then change the insurance to Comprehensive Coverage only. This will protect it while in your garage in case anything happens to it that is not covered under your homeowner's policy. I would do this every winter with my cars and it is relatively cheap for the protection it provides.

Most states (including MI) allow you to drive the car home from wherever you purchased it with only the signed title from the previous owner. No insurance necessary; some coverage is afforded to you for THAT TRIP ONLY, but I'm not sure how much.

Registration also protects the seller. Penalty here in MN if not reg. in a timely manner. Title paper has the sold to and for how much $$$ as the state wants every dime it can get

"If your vehicle has a current, active registration, you must maintain insurance on that vehicle. If you do not plan to keep your registration current, you must turn in your license plate to the County Clerk's office and can cancel your insurance without penalty.

"Some owners of seasonal vehicles such as motorcycles or RVs are accustomed to dropping the insurance on these vehicles during the months they are not being driven. To avoid penalties for a lack of insurance, the owners of these vehicles must turn in their license plate to the County Clerk's office prior to cancelling their insurance policy. When it is time to put the vehicle back on the road, secure proof of insurance and present the proof to the County Clerk. At that time, the clerk's office will allow registration of the vehicle." - "Mandetory Insurance" (An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky)

I drop insurance on unused vehicles all the time but the cops ask for insurance card(cab card)along with your DL if you get stopped and a stiff penalty if no insurance. Have to have insurance to get tabs and registering a new to you vehicle. My insurance agent will give me one day insurance if needed with a phone call. I keep my extended paper work on a thumb drive now

The last two project vehicles I bought, I waited a few months to register them and I just held onto the signed title and bill of sale. But I also bought the vehicles from family members and they knew about it. You might be able to go to the DMV and get the title transferred into your name without also registering the car.

Since the vehicle has a salvage title because of current rear door damage (minor ) , do I need to to have it professionally repaired before I can get a rebuilt title and actually register the car. The DMV website is very tough to navigate for Kentucky and the call center hold time is ridiculous. The only thing I can tell from the website is it salvage titles cannot be driven on the road.

I'd do some googling. Someone somewhere likely has done what you want to do in Kentucky.

Unfortunately every state is different. The guy who bought my VW flew in from MI, and was able to slap a set of plates off one of his other vehicles to drive home. Me, I'd have to go to the DMV to get transit or temp plates (gotta be fun to do if purchasing out of state, I'd imagine!); or outright register, which would require previous registration and/or title, before I could drive it. Mind you, I wouldn't need insurance at any point in time, as NH doesn't require insurance.

My Scion has a salvage title. But was done in NY and had to be inspected before cleared for road use. MN still titles the vehicle as salvage. Enterprise Rental self insures and they write of vehicles pretty quick as I saw the before repair pictures and was front bumper and drivers side quarter panel replaced and painted. I will be probably screwed if in accident by insurance as the figure the vehicle is way less than book. I usually drive the wheels off and I have a family member who wants it.
Just fix and get the paper work done when its ready to hit the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Since the vehicle has a salvage title because of current rear door damage (minor ) , do I need to to have it professionally repaired before I can get a rebuilt title and actually register the car. The DMV website is very tough to navigate for Kentucky and the call center hold time is ridiculous. The only thing I can tell from the website is it salvage titles cannot be driven on the road.

I found this in less than 30 seconds of searching:
Quote:
Rebuilt Titles

Pursuant to KRS 186A.520, KRS 186A.530, and 601 KAR 9:200, the procedure for obtaining a rebuilt title is as follows:
•Complete TC 96-215, Affidavit of Motor Vehicle Assembled from Wrecked or Salvage Motor Vehicles.
◦Vehicle Information on this form is for the vehicle that is being rebuilt. This form must be notarized.
•Submit original Salvage Title. If the vehicle is from out of state and that state only has a registration requirement, the original registration form must be submitted. KYTC will NOT accept copies.

◦If the Kentucky title has been junked in Kentucky, by an individual (not an insurance company), a bill of sale and the seller section of TC96-182 must be completed and notarized.
•Submit a completed TC 96-182, Application for Kentucky Title/Registration. This form also needs to be notarized. KYTC will NOT accept copies.
•Submit all receipts for any parts purchased (Receipts must be original).
◦If parts were purchased from an individual, not a business, the seller must state their name, complete address and phone number.
◦List what parts were acquired/purchased and note the vehicle identification number (VIN) of the vehicle those parts were taken from.
◦If the seller can’t provide a VIN, then a notarized statement stating why the VIN can’t be provided is required.
•Submit an original descriptive, notarized labor statement explaining what parts were replaced and what parts were repaired.

◦This statement must be from the person who repaired the vehicle.

•If vehicle has a license plate, regardless of the decal expiration date, remove it from the vehicle and submit the plate to your county clerk’s office.
•If the title has a lien recorded, a lien termination statement from the lien holder must be submitted to your county clerk so it can be released.
•For a rebuilt motorcycle, provide pencil tracings of the frame and motor numbers.

◦If a replacement motor was used, an effort should be made to obtain the frame number of the motorcycle that the replacement motor was taken from.
•If a vehicle is not damaged beyond 75% of its current value, a statement from the insurance company, on their letterhead, describing the damage to the vehicle must be submitted.

◦These statements are usually required for vehicles that sustained minor damage due to fire, flood, recovered from theft with minor damage, or hail damage.
◦If the vehicle is bought from a car auction, your original receipt from the auction must state the damage. We will accept this receipt instead of the insurance statement. Applicants who supply their own parts need to provide original invoices from the businesses where the parts were purchased.
◦If the receipt shows several parts for various vehicles, the applicant must indicate the parts that were purchased for the vehicle on the rebuilt application.
◦The Rebuilt Section will return the original invoice after initialing the parts used.
•For vehicles less than 10 years old, a separate Federal Odometer Disclosure Statement must be submitted if:

◦The odometer reading is not disclosed on the TC 96-182 Application for Kentucky Title/Registration or; the odometer reading is not on a properly completed title.

For additional information, call the Rebuilt Support Section at (502) 564-1257.

Also refer to 601 KAR 9:200.

http://drive.ky.gov/motor-vehicle-licensing/Pages/Vehicle-Titling.aspx

To get a rebuilt title, you need to show receipts for the parts you purchased to repair the vehicle. So, you can only get the title after you've repaired the car, or at least after you've bought parts for it. And you need to tell them what you've repaired or replaced. It doesn't say anything about it having to be "professionally" repaired, only that the person who repaired it gives this information.

Basically once the title changes hands, you own it. If anything were to happen to it and you don't have insurance, then you have no coverage. It just depends if you want to risk it or not. While a state may let you drive without insurance, you basically have an open ended liability if anything were to happen. If you're judgement proof (no assets, no good job, no home, no future prospects), then you might want to risk it, but those who have assets to protect may want to buy insurance and have it effective the day the title changes hands.

What exranger said.

I'd also take photos every step of the way.

I'd buy your major parts (eg a door) from a licensed salvage yard and have them print the donor VIN on the receipt. Hopefully the door will still have a donor vin sticker. Don't paint over that! I'd do the minimum needed to have the cops approve your rebuilt title before you go any further.

There are states that require you to report your purchase to the state (and apply for title) within 30 days or there are penalties. Make sure you're in the clear.

There are towns that won't let you have vehicles (outdoors) unregistered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back