Anyone done an engine swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am looking at getting a jeep Cherokee for a project vehicle. Most of them have the 4 L engine. There are quite a few in my area with bad motors selling for very cheap. I am decent mechanically and am interested in the possibility of doing an engine swap. Replacing the engine with the same model year, approximately how much labor time would you estimate for a first timer?

I've done them before. All I can tell you is to figure out a budget and then double it. Little stuff nickel and dimes you to death.

the first time? figure two days. of course, it will depend upon how much stuff you replace along the way and what you run into. theoretically you can do it in a day - even your first time - if you dont run into problems. I have the (self-induced) problem of wanting to freshen up everything while I am there.

Last edited:
If you are doing a engine from a junkyard I would figure in time to replace most of the exterior gaskets in case they are leaking. Also when you are in there you might as well do new hoses, all the tune-up parts, and anything else that is questionable. The costs and time quickly get greater than anticipated.

Yup. If I were you I'd buy a rusted out one with a good motor for $250 so you have two of everything. Then you can make it back by parting out the carcass and you can also choose the best battery, tires, etc of the two.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
I've done them before. All I can tell you is to figure out a budget and then double it. Little stuff nickel and dimes you to death.

+1. It may take a weekend if you have no issues, maybe two weekends if stuff doesn't work properly and you need to troubleshoot.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yup. If I were you I'd buy a rusted out one with a good motor for $250 so you have two of everything. Then you can make it back by parting out the carcass and you can also choose the best battery, tires, etc of the two.

Or, just leave in in the front yard with the hood up, and take parts off as needed...

If you have your own cherry picker, and buying is better then renting for your first time, figure on two weeks of evenings and weekends. You wont have the tools you need, a part you have to have, store will be closed or has to order something, or a model year variance will require minor but time consuming fabrication. And the poster that said double your budget is spot on. Replace everything you can get at easier with the engine out while you can.
If you have a mechanically minded buddy, it will help a lot. Wont make it go faster unless your buddy has done a few before, but will help when you need someone to work a floor jack while the other pushes on a pry bar.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
If you have your own cherry picker, and buying is better then renting for your first time, figure on two weeks of evenings and weekends. You wont have the tools you need, a part you have to have, store will be closed or has to order something, or a model year variance will require minor but time consuming fabrication. And the poster that said double your budget is spot on. Replace everything you can get at easier with the engine out while you can.
If you have a mechanically minded buddy, it will help a lot. Wont make it go faster unless your buddy has done a few before, but will help when you need someone to work a floor jack while the other pushes on a pry bar.

Exactly.

My 91 Corvette took almost a month on an off. I have done a Turbo dodge over a weekend.
First time? Take your time. I it will take a little while

The first time one of my cousins swapped an engine it took over one month. There are a lot of connections that you can get lost on. It would be very wise to document where every wire and other types of connections go to as you disconnect them because it only takes one connection that you have no idea where it goes to throw off the entire project.

first time on a jeep with the 4.0 ?? One day with the correct tools. If it is your first time take some pictures of where the wires and other things are located to speed things up a little,

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Or, just leave in in the front yard with the hood up, and take parts off as needed...

Drill 1/8 inch holes through hinge mount and interior of hood so you can align it with the shank part of the 1/8 inch drill, then remove the hood(s) from the vehicle(s). It is much easier to use a cherry picker and do the work with the hood(s) removed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
The first time one of my cousins swapped an engine it took over one month. There are a lot of connections that you can get lost on. It would be very wise to document where every wire and other types of connections go to as you disconnect them because it only takes one connection that you have no idea where it goes to throw off the entire project.
For sure take some pictures. Most underhood connections are idiot proofed because humans do the plugging in. Stuff only fits one thing. Plus the length of wiring, tubing. restricts it to a general location. When I R+Red the head on a Honda CRV the only match marks I made was for the distributor. I set it to TDC before I took it off.
grin2.gif

I have done it by myself in a car in as little as 10 hours from start to finish with hand tools only. That included taking everything off my old engine and putting it on the long block (intake, exhaust manifolds, accessories, etc.).

This was on an old carbed engine and included the break in and setting the timing and tuning the carb.

A like-for-like engine swap typically is a one day job, if it's your first one then budget for two days.
If it's a swap you have done three or more times, a half day may be possible, but it does take some experience to pull that off.

Anything can go wrong. A small setback can take days to resolve. But in the end it's not very difficult to achieve a good result.

I do encourage you to take the opportunity to examine the donor engine as much as you see fit when it is out of the vehicle. There is no good news if you discover something that needs to be remedied, yet it is far easier at this time than at any other, so consider it a small victory.

A friend to help is invaluable. If you have children of appropriate age ... I would say anything from 14 or older is fine, and do not rule out the daughter if your family has no boys ... but an adult with experience is ideal.

Engine swaps these days are a dream. Modern cars start and run instantly without hesitation when everything is hooked up correctly.

But try one on a VAN sometime...

First time was an early 80's Mazda, and myself and my girlfriend knocked it off in about 4 hours. Second time was a 1981 Volvo, but that was also an Auto to Manual swap and took the best part of a day (the tailshaft and pedal box were a [censored]). If you are not doing a like for like, then all bets are off, but a straight in and out you should knock off in a weekend for a first time with little mechanical nouse.

At least the 4.0 Jeeps there are plenty of resources on line, can probably get any answer you desire with a google search.

I think a 4.0L Cherokee should be relatively easy. I did an engine swap on my '87 Buick Regal (RWD G-body) over a weekend back in college. Olds 307 came out, Olds 403 went in. Fun project. I rebuilt the 403...primed the oiling system and dumped a bunch of fuel down the carburetor and it fired right up. Ran funny until we had it all ironed out.

I'd give yourself the weekend to swap a 4.0L. Not being intimately familiar with that platform, you'll probably want to take the hood off (if it doesn't rotate all the way up), take the radiator and fans out, etc. But, being all computer-controlled, it should be relatively easy...unplug everything and plug it back in on the new. You'll just want to double- and triple-check that you get the correct model year engine or one that is compatible (for all the right harness connections, etc).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back