Dropped Torque Wrench

jpa

This evening when replacing my pcv valve, I put my Tekton ½ torque wrench on top of the engine (rookie mistake), closed the driver door and blamo...it fell and hit the ground. So, I wound it up and down and it felt like it was struggling a little, but got better. Even when wrenching a little, it felt like it was catching, if that makes sense.

Not confident things are OK with it, but am curious about the experience of others. Is it Ok? Calibrate it or get another one and cut my losses?

Thanks.

It really should be recalibrated but it probably cost more than the tool. All I can think if is to test it a various settings against a known good high quality torque wrench then test the other wrench against yours.
If its close throughout the range its probably okay.

HF sells a digital torque meter, which is strain gauge based and supposedly very accurate. May be worth to get it. I always end up using it for something too.

Check it out on something you used it on. I set my lug nuts to 100 ft lbs. I can check the torque with the wrench set to 100.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
HF sells a digital torque meter, which is strain gauge based and supposedly very accurate. May be worth to get it. I always end up using it for something too.

I just checked those out, pretty good idea and its claimed to be accurate to within 2% so it should give a pretty good idea if the torque wrench is within spec.
thumbsup2.gif
good one.

If the wrench is not broken and it has a calibration hex or adjustment screw, you should be able to calibrate it your self.

Torque = Lenth( in feet) X Weight(lbs)

So measure your wrench from the center of the drive square to the center of where your hand will be. put the wrench on a tight lug nut so its horizontal. Hang weight on the wrench and adjust until it clicks where the reading matches your calculation.

For example if your wrench is 14inches fron center of drive to center of hand position, hang 43lbs with a rope in the center of your hand position and adjust til it clicks when set to 50lbs.

1.17( length) x 43( lbs)=50.31 lbs of torque.
14/12

Last edited:
That HF tool is great if you get one that works more than once or twice! In my experience, it took three tries till I got one that worked. Works well and very accurate.I use it to check my wrenches.

Originally Posted By: willbur
That HF tool is great if you get one that works more than once or twice! In my experience, it took three tries till I got one that worked. Works well and very accurate.I use it to check my wrenches.

Yes I got one that ate batteries.. they would last literally 24hours.

I couldn't find my receipt so they wouldn't exchange it. Annoying and a lesson to buy anything electronic carefully(from HF)

I have the HF torque adapter and I'd recommend it to anyone. Mine has been working great for several years and I've used it mainly for checking torque wrenches.

I haven't before heard the complaint about DOA arrival ones like claimed in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Yes I got one that ate batteries.. they would last literally 24hours.

I couldn't find my receipt so they wouldn't exchange it. Annoying and a lesson to buy anything electronic carefully(from HF)

The torque adapters fall under the HF lifetime warranty. I'm surprised they hassled you about exchanging it.

Side note, it could have been the foam in the case pushing one of the buttons and keeping the torque adapter from turning off. I think I've read that complaint.

Look up reviews on HF site.

Regarding "lifetime" warranty; they can really hassle you about having a receipt even when its apparent it is an HF Pittsburgh item, in my experience. Depends who you get to do the warranty exchange.

Look up reviews on HF site.

Regarding "lifetime" warranty; they can really hassle you about having a receipt even when its apparent it is an HF Pittsburgh item, in my experience. Depends who you get to do the warranty exchange.

I read about the foam too.
I replaced the batteries and left it on kitchen table.. still dead next day.

Replaced the battery again.(had a 5pack) and it was being flaky a couple hours later.

Tried to exchange and they said no without a receipt. asked an employee then a manager.

Was pretty irritated since I had used it 1 time.

I even had a charge statement with the amount on it.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
EDIT - I guess HF requires a receipt for their "lifetime" warranty. I wasn't aware of that.

I've been wondering about that. I haven't had to return anything that failed yet w/o a receipt. The few returns I made were shortly after buying and I had proof of purchase. I'd be screwed on some of the older stuff I have from them if that's the case.

EDIT - I guess HF requires a receipt for their "lifetime" warranty. I wasn't aware of that.

Probably a ball buster of an employee or manager, if its lifetime what difference would it make they can tell its theirs.

The torque adapter is a good idea to have!but the fella that mentioned calibrating yourself made excellent one too! Its as easy as he put it.also you tube video how to.odds are you didnt hurt it.Lthough no offense it being a cjeapo you could have so doesnt hurt do check it.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Probably a ball buster of an employee or manager, if its lifetime what difference would it make they can tell its theirs.

That's what I thought at first, but there is conflicting wording on their website, with some parts saying a receipt is required and some parts not mentioning a receipt.

If you google there's conflicting experiences from people. Some say their local store required a receipt. Others say a receipt wasn't required.

Back