M1 M-103 Oil Filter closed louvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by Pepboys to pick up my items and wanted to take a look at some filters. Louvers were closed on this one. There was another one I checked that had wide opened ones. Looks like a champion labs filter. I'm posting an RP champ labs filter too. Had wide open louvers.

Could this filter cause problems?

It's hard for me to see the pictures clearly but when you say closed you mean absolutely closed or partially closed?

They were barely open. Just a small slit. Here is an RP from Champion as well for comparison on what "open" is. I apologize because I didn't have time to take good pictures there. I have another one coming in the mail from pepboys so I'll post it when it comes.

On my Hastings I had seen the louvers closed 2/3rds or more on the ones nearest to the base plate while the others further down were fully opened.

IMO - Looks like the South side and they face North ... think you'd have to see it cut open.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
IMO - Looks like the South side and they face North ... think you'd have to see it cut open.

Agree, during manufacturing, this filter might have bee made upside down if that makes sense and the lovers are pointing down.

Yes - just looked at an M212 ... they are flip flopping directions near the gasket end - deep in the filter I can see yellow media in the slots ...
also looked at an M204 with round holes and there is more un perforated steel in that tube ...

I have an M1-108 in my stash. Same problem as the OP. For the price you pay, you'd expect better quality control.

Go with a FRAM Ultra and call it a day.

If this was a real problem where is the pressure data ? I land on the side the filter media starts out as the restriction and then increases with time ... hence full synthetic needs wire mesh.

Nobody wants to drill - they punched or broached ... The deeper you broach/bend, higher the chance of lost "hanging chad" - the worst issue. It does not concern me - if it did I'd call Mobil and see why they went this way ...

Dude - I go look at the Fram Ultra XG10575 - nice round holes - BUT HARDLY ANY HOLES AT ALL ... bunch of blank steel.

I will continue to use both ...

Round holes or slits? If it really matters, I find the center core with the slits (like this Baldwin pictured) to be sturdier.

7F07D212-B8D7-47D2-B746-78F93D995B3C-363-000001A20067312F_zpseee2aab4_edit_1481652724109.jpg

I have no preference. Just wanted to know why it was like that. I appreciate everyones input.
smile.gif
And yes it seems that slits/louvers may be made because they are sturdier.

Theres's more slits than round holes on other filters I've cut open so it may flow better too.

Pep Boys on Long Island. You must be in Suffolk Co. I'm from Huntington.

Good picture - many, many penetrations come up with enough TFA ...
Last thing I put a Baldwin on said CAT on the side. What kind of efficiency in a modern day Baldwin ?

I used Baldwin filters a few times but dont anymore. Their efficiency at 20 microns is pretty bad compared to other brands. I use Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Stopped by Pepboys to pick up my items and wanted to take a look at some filters. Louvers were closed on this one. There was another one I checked that had wide opened ones. Looks like a champion labs filter. I'm posting an RP champ labs filter too. Had wide open louvers.

Could this filter cause problems?

Those look to be about totally closed. It would cause the filter to run in bypass for sure. Total fail on louver manufacturing on this one.

As mentioned many times, if you buy oil filters with a louvered center tube by all means carefully inspect to see if the louvers are opened up a good amount.

You would have to tear the filter apart to see if the louvers were open facing the other direction.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You would have to tear the filter apart to see if the louvers were open facing the other direction.

Every one that I have looked at had alternating rows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back