Craigslist tanslations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if it is a repost:

Mint = Rips unnoticeable with seat covers
Buy Here Pay Here = We charge exorbitant interest
Runs and Drives 100 = It's amazing this piece of junk turned over. Crossing my fingers it works when you come see it.
Loaded = Base model
Power Everything = Power windows
Custom = Stupid-looking 22" rims/ tacky paint job
Gas Saver = Slow
Fast = I've dogged this car all out
Low Miles = Never runs / wrecked / salvage title
Highway Miles = High miles
Must Sell = Before the engine falls out of the bottom
OBO = I'll never get five grand for a 1983 Civic
No Rust = Hoping you won't notice the rust
Needs paint = lots of rust
Fresh Paint! = Those aren't rust bubbles.
RUNS & LOOKS GOOD = ;Can't see the dents from 10 feet
WOW CHEAP! = Blown head gasket / totalled
Needs Nothing = Down two quarts and still original struts at 120k miles
Classic = Beater
Parts Car& = Wasp colony inside
Project Car = I [censored] it up by trying to make it a rice rod and now it's toast.
No engine leaks = Everything else leaks
very nice = not very nice
AC needs charge = AC needs $$$$
8/10 = 2/10
Good tires = Has tires
New tires = Needs expensive front end work
Reduced = still way more than it's worth
Freshly detailed = My kids destroyed it.
one careful owner = 6 not so careful ones
Owned by an old lady = Owned by a leadfoot teenager.
Needs Some Body Work = Covered in bondo / missing both bumpers
Looks Like New = I washed it
Loaded With Options = there's a radio in there.
All Original = I never had anything fixed, adjusted, or replaced.
Project Car = POS
Lots Of Potential = POS
Needs Minor Repair = POS
Mechanic's Special = POS
Always garaged = Because it never starts
Rare = I never leave the small town I'm in
Selling for a friend = The owner is too honest / My 'friend' is my senile grandpa and I need gambling money.
Won several car show awards = Check out the trophies my buddies and I made for ourselves and our car club.
Too many projects = My wife is going to leave if I don't get this out of the garage
Not enough time to repair = I have no idea how to fix this / I'm broke.
Make offer = No idea what the car is worth.
OBO = I'll take what I can get
Many new parts--And lots more needed!
Minor oil leak = I hope you hate your driveway. Keep a couple quarts in your trunk just to be safe.
Must see to appreciate = How ridiculous my description is.
Moving, must sell = This car probably won't make it across town.
My loss is your gain = I got screwed, now it's your turn.
Nicest one on Craigslist = Only one on craigslist.
Low Miles = Replaced gauge cluster
All Services Performed = I changed the oil.

Most of those are spot on! I recently went through the Craigslist route looking for a used car. The endless amount of junk cars out there with zero maintenance history is incredible! Most cars had seat stains and no floor mats, trash still in the cup holders, and exterior completely covered in dirt/bird droppings!

The worst ones are totally vague descriptions, too much to list please call owner for more info, or just a couple pics of the car taken from their apartment balcony. It's a free online service not a paid newspaper classified. I will judge your ad on your personality if we have to meet up in person.

Last edited:
RARE! = I want lots of money for a real piece of ____.

No phone number in listing, email listed only, poor description, little or no pics = I'm making my wife think I'm trying to sell this, but I'm really not trying to at all

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
RARE! = I want lots of money for a real piece of ____.

No phone number in listing, email listed only, poor description, little or no pics = I'm making my wife think I'm trying to sell this, but I'm really not trying to at all

Yeah, Rare is always a great one. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable. I think if you do all the permutations of colors, trim levels and possible options, every model on a low volume car could be rare. The book value is still the book value.

We need a few more

Documented dealer service= I got screwed quarterly and now they don' want to give me any trade in value

Quote:
My loss is your gain = I got screwed, now it's your turn.

lol.gif

I love when it says "minor damage" or minor rust or somesuch, has four pictures but none are of the problem that they made mention of. ???

"Has AC": on more than one car I've seen AC advertised on I would ask about it, and they'd respond "oh it needs a recharge". One of the sellers claimed to be a mechanic who had fixed up a bunch of things already! Yeah, I bet all it needed was a recharge...

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Just needs an inspection = won't pass inspection.

It won't make it to the inspection station unless towed

Last edited:
I like it when they list a ton of parts that have been replaced and then say "very reliable."

I love some of the pics on there. I found this one a few years back. Don't remember anthing about the listing, just saw the pic and was like "what the heck!"

I don't understand how posting a pic of the car with your kid standing on the hood is supposed to help sell it.

That said, when I sold my Elantra, I had a very good listing, lots of pics, inside and out, car was cleaned inside and out, listed the mileage, how many miles were on the tires, all maintanace that had been done (timing belt, oil changes, transmission service etc).
I ended up selleing it to a guy that was driving behind me and saw my for sale sign on the window. I gave him a link to the craigslist post and he said that is what sold him on it.

My favorites are the pics of diesel trucks with a butt load of black smoke pouring out of them. Hey look at this pic, I have it programmed or as they say "chipped" and I beat the [censored] out of it daily. I'll take $15,000 for my 95 Dodge Ram with 386,483 miles. Firm

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
My favorites are the pics of diesel trucks with a butt load of black smoke pouring out of them. Hey look at this pic, I have it programmed or as they say "chipped" and I beat the [censored] out of it daily. I'll take $15,000 for my 95 Dodge Ram with 386,483 miles. Firm

Some of them do that on purpose. I think they're called coal rollers. They might have a switch that turns it on and they like to give people on bikes a blast of smoke. Very wrong, but funny...

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger

Don't forget the duramax guys with the 386,483 miles claiming all 8 injectors are balanced and running great. Or a diesel with gauges, lift kit, sewer pipe exhaust but it NEVER had a tuner on it.

Spot on. A few years ago, I called about a CL ad for a diesel Ram 2500. It was a nice truck, but over 300K.

It sold for his asking price (which I recall was a bit over high book value) within 2 hours of posting the ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back