Resurrecting an old Motor Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Being that I now own 2 Frantz bypass filters, I searched around for other Tp filters and came across a very interesting article that Gary North wrote about the Motor Guard filters. He took the newer Motor Guard air compressor filter and converted it to an oil bypass filter. Since he is no longer building these units to my knowledge, I decided to find an original Motor Guard oil bypass filter and see if I could copy it with a newer M30 model. I'm in the process of bidding on the newer Motor Guard M30 model and when I get it seeing what has to be done to make it work. The older unit takes the 4.5" rolls with the 1.5" cores that are no longer made. I can easily make the older unit take the newer rolls as well as convert the new M30 unit as well. From what Gary says the Motor Guard is much easier to service than the Frantz units I now own as well as far better sealing as well. Being as I will need around 4 oil filters and 2 air compressor filters, I thought this would be a great little project when I finally get my new shop set up. In the mean time I'll use the old Motor Guard as an air compressor filter while I spray paint 7 doors and frames as well as 2 closets in my flat. Stay tuned for further write ups on this filter.

Here's the old unit I bought.:)

Update to this thread, I ended up installing this filter to my transmission on a 2009 Ford 5R110. This left me with no option but to find another one and install this new unit on my 1993 Dodge D250 with a cummins in it. Will be installing this new filter by the end of December. Here's some picture of the 1950's NOS Motor Guard M100:) Once my lathe arrives from Hong Kong, I can turn some 6061 adapters to fit the 1.6" inch core tp rolls.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back