Earnest question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to offend, honestly, but how can an oil industry related blog not discuss the allegations and ramifications of global climate change in its proper context and inside the appropriate forum? Yes it's contentious but most important things are. Are we being told we're not sophisticated enough to understand and comment? I understand that the list owner "owns" the site and can do anything they want but I would think that while you provide the ven-ue, the posters here (especially those like Shannow) provide the val-ue.

Because, honestly, that's a topic that now matter how hard you try to not bring politics into, it will ALWAYS take a turn down that road. And political discussions are banned here, as I'm sure many people wish they would be at family gatherings...

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Are we being told we're not sophisticated enough to understand and comment?

Since you genuinely don't understand the reasons why, then yes, I would suggest you're not sophisticated enough to understand.

People around here can't even manage to answer a simple question without being nasty is why...

Last edited:
At some point, climate science became political. As with many things, data is rejected in favor of belief. We are in a post-fact and post-critical thinking era.

Also, adult temper tantrums.

IBTL

If you want action go to the Walmart tried to kill me post with bogus scripts....
50.gif

You said it.......
And they always answer a question you never asked........

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
People around here can't even manage to answer a well simple question without being nasty is why...

Until we can learn to control the sun, there will be perpetual climate change, some of it detrimental to current society....other changes beneficial.

I thought this was about Ernest from the movies and TV show in the 80s. "You know what I mean Vern??".

Of course this political. And this will be shut down in short order.

Last edited:
I have an enclosed incubator that I use to run tests. I have normal atmospheric air inside.
I then inject 1 ppm CO2 and the temp increases by 1 deg F.

Facepalm.

Changing climate and its root causes/sources is purely scientific. Politics has nothing to do with root causes. The OP posed a science/physics question. And there can only be one right answer as to what causes changes in climate. Whether we are sophisticated enough today to figure that out remains to be seen. In another 50-100 years we probably will be.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
At some point, climate science became political. As with many things, data is rejected in favor of belief. We are in a post-fact and post-critical thinking era.

Also, adult temper tantrums.

IBTL

This.

I have been a member of this site for 10 years specifically because it has to do with the products that are used in petroleum powered transportation. If you want to follow a blog that is political, please be my guest. But don't bring your global warming stuff here. I thank you----

Oldtommy

Not to offend, honestly, but how can an oil industry related blog not discuss the allegations and ramifications of global climate change in its proper context and inside the appropriate forum? Yes it's contentious but most important things are. Are we being told we're not sophisticated enough to understand and comment? I understand that the list owner "owns" the site and can do anything they want but I would think that while you provide the ven-ue, the posters here (especially those like Shannow) provide the val-ue.

Earnest Reply:

Because "man-made" climate change is a hoax. Follow the money. Taxing carbon footprints, etc.

There are some very smart, wise posters on this forum. 90% are not . Some are little better than trolls. One troll outweighs 100 good posts.

The whole area of discussion of climate change has become highly politicized. Both the deniers and the proponents vilify their opponents. There is little room for rational discussion although the issue, or at least mankind's role in it, is hardly settled science.
There are so many industries as well as entire nations that rely upon the exploitation of hydrocarbon fuels for their very survival that reasoned discussion is difficult at best.
We don't do well here in conducting reasonable discussions of contentious issues. We often fail to remain civil even in threads as trivial as one about whether a member should use the recommended 0W-20 in a humble Civic.
We therefore cannot be allowed to discuss anything with any political or religious connotations, although the two may really be more similar than different.
Too much potential for a thread to devolve into a food fight with far more heat than light shed.
There are many other online discussion sites where this sort of thing isn't merely allowed but is tacitly encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back