another mindless Wal Mart shopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again and just got back from Wal Mart with the girlfriend. Got a FU filter for her Subaru and FRAM Tough guard air filter and oil filter for dads 11' HEMI Ram truck. Some guy probably in his 40's had a MC FL-820S and couldn't find the oil he was looking for. I grabbed a jug of ST Syn 5w20 since its $13.60 now and another jug for dads ram since he doesn't drive that truck much. Guy says "why people use that water thin oil is beyond me." I asked him "do you even know what 5w20 is? He couldn't answer and instead grabs some 20w50 ST as told his redneck friend his 09' F-150 loves this stuff. I had my stuff so I just walked away. I wouldn't even think of using 10w30 or 10w40 or 20w50 here in PA where it will be 9 for a high Tuesday.

Guess dads right when he told brother and I "boys, ya can't fix stupid!"

Well, the guy coulda passed for a homeless bum/vagrant too. Even my dad has settled on 5w20/30 for his HEMI Ram as he was a 10w30 guy for 40+ years

I was glad to get the heck away from the two twits
smile.gif

And ??? So ??? Maybe he didn't read oil 101 and isn't an oil expert. The likes his choice of oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
And ??? So ??? Maybe he didn't read oil 101 .

If he read the Oil 101 he'd be looking for a 0w-10....and never finding one.
wink.gif

Good point folks. I'd laugh when I see the truck on side of road with metal shrapnel all under it too

Having dealt with people and machines more than my fair share, should have asked the simple question "did you read the manual and the suggestions for cold weather?" You more than likely if they answer honestly, no to reading any part of the manual let alone the suggested oils chapter

To each his own. His truck is either eight or nine years old. If it "loves the stuff [20w50]" then it must not be giving him any trouble. Sometimes we bitogers jump to conclusions and pass judgment too quickly.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Very good point Wemay
smile.gif

We know he's entitled to his opinion about xw20, regardless of mfc recommendation, but oil is like religion, party affiliations, and sports. Full of emotion and 'your own truths.' Lol
You tried to help.

Hello again and just got back from Wal Mart with the girlfriend. Got a FU filter for her Subaru and FRAM Tough guard air filter and oil filter for dads 11' HEMI Ram truck. Some guy probably in his 40's had a MC FL-820S and couldn't find the oil he was looking for. I grabbed a jug of ST Syn 5w20 since its $13.60 now and another jug for dads ram since he doesn't drive that truck much. Guy says "why people use that water thin oil is beyond me." I asked him "do you even know what 5w20 is? He couldn't answer and instead grabs some 20w50 ST as told his redneck friend his 09' F-150 loves this stuff. I had my stuff so I just walked away. I wouldn't even think of using 10w30 or 10w40 or 20w50 here in PA where it will be 9 for a high Tuesday.

Guess dads right when he told brother and I "boys, ya can't fix stupid!"
if the manufacturer calls for a 5w20 I would use that, mine calls for a 0w20 at 72k miles no issues

From what I've seen, about the quickest way to ruin a motor is to use too heavy an oil. That said, if thinner was always better then we'd all be running kerosene in the sumps. All the charts I've seen say 10w-30 is good to just about 0F. 5w-20 is to thin for me. 0w-20, dinosaur wizz.

...and instead grabs some 20w50 ST as told his redneck friend his 09' F-150 loves this stuff. "

Is that now OK on BITOG? Mods??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back