suspected fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a new engine for Honda and they may have gotten in front of themselves again...if it is indeed fuel dilution and LSPI the warm-up must be killing it especially those running the spec 0W20 CAFE oil.

The Toyotas rev high on initial warm up as well, close to 1900-2000 rpm. So I put it into gear after a few seconds.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Ooops, wild guess but it looks like around 10% fuel.

How you came up with that number is beyond me.
whistle.gif

well not crazy but travel 600mi. every weekend, this is my commuter.. alot of 80-85 and then the passing on 2 lane I'll let it rip so ya not like a gal going to work and church on Sundays.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
this is a new engine for Honda and they may have gotten in front of themselves again...if it is indeed fuel dilution and LSPI the warm-up must be killing it especially those running the spec 0W20 CAFE oil.

I'm curious...

On a cold start, how long do you let your car idle before you start driving it?

BC.

almost next to zero, it has remote start but rarely used..this is LSPI disguised by fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I'm curious...

On a cold start, how long do you let your car idle before you start driving it?

BC.

Not much wrong with Honda 0w20 if you don't do heavy towing in a hot desert area and then try killing off the block with too long an OCI.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Ooops, wild guess but it looks like around 10% fuel.

How you came up with that number is beyond me.
whistle.gif

Yeah I was thinking more like 12.5%

Dumped that diluted oil at 3k, refilled with the same Mobil 1 5/30..not using the Honda right now cause of the snow but look at the fill cap, geez this is at 7k overall.

Last edited:
All this guessing is worthless without a Used Oil Analysis. A few teas spoons of fuel in 4 quarts will smell of fuel because fuel is very aromatic. Ed

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The Toyotas rev high on initial warm up as well, close to 1900-2000 rpm. So I put it into gear after a few seconds.

My '12 Kia Optima SX does this as well when it is cold. I HATE it. This is terrible for the stone cold engine but "great" for emissions.

The worst at this was RX-7s. They immediately went up to 3000rpm on a cold start. Probably since the catalytic converters spanned from the engine all the way back to the rear axle. Lot of ____ to light off.

For no reason at all, Lamborghini Aventadors immediately rev to 7000rpm on any start at all.

Dumped that diluted oil at 3k, refilled with the same Mobil 1 5/30..not using the Honda right now cause of the snow but look at the fill cap, geez this is at 7k overall.

This "mayonnaise" is more a function of water than fuel and not unusual if you've short-tripped a bit during the recent cold spell. If this is after considerable highway driving you may want to point it out to your dealer. After they shrug and do nothing you may want to invest $20 for a replacement PCV valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back