Replacement for Petersen (the original) vise grips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just a DIY'er so it's really not all that important, but I wanted to know what everyone's using since vice grips are now made in China. Milwaukee has recently come out with a line that looks good and they are priced similar to the Irwin vice grips which are now made in China. I believe the Milwaukee are made in Taiwan. Also, the tool company, Toptul, has a line that they say is equal to the original Petersen line, but I don't find any sellers in the US. The Toptul come from Taiwan also. There is Grip-On, which is made in Spain, which also seems well regarded. Just wanted other opinions. Also, I was looking for ones that were not a lot more expensive that what Irwin is now selling.

I never liked Vise Grips because of their release lever design. My favorite are the Crescent made locking pliers while Crescent was still owned by Cooper Tools; those pliers were the best, but they're no longer being manufactured. If I was to buy a new brand of locking pliers, it would probably be Grip-On or Proto since they have the same easy to use release lever design that the previously made Crescent's had.

Knipex (Germany) makes a hybrid between tongue and groove pliers, vice grips, and an adjustable wrench. ~$50, but they look very versatile.

I am certain they make traditional vice grips too.

Facom has a nice and expensive line of vice grips, several models, if you want to take a peak. Made in frogland
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
These look like a gimmick but they work really well and are good quality.

http://www.chhanson.com/products_ALP.html

I ordered the 9" with long jaws (what I use the most) on Amazon (shipping to Froglang isn't always easy), but now I'm reading the comments.. they are not made in USA anymore?

I guess I'll see when they'll arrive, but at one fourth of the cost of Frogland-made Facom with shipping, I don't have much to loose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back