-25c this morning, vehicle will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
He has a block heater, so no need for the old school tricks...It will fire right up when plugged in... Remember all vehicle are Female, and we know how they like the cold...

Lets hope. My Xterra had no such thing installed and trying get one in is next to futile:(
Hopefully once the OP gets it running the old girl can have ignition system renewed and maybe a battery blanket too. Looks like its going to be a very cold Decemberrrr.

Honestly I've never had to plug her in and I can't confirm if she has one. Going outside to check in 5 minutes. Looking on Amazon as we speak for battery blanket now.

get a battery charger on it as soon as possible , plug it in if it has one, dose it with another bottle of gas line antifreeze, stick a funnel in the filler neck and have someone cycle the key and listen for the fuel pump.
if that fails next step get her in a warm garage

Originally Posted By: hemitom
get a battery charger on it as soon as possible , plug it in if it has one, dose it with another bottle of gas line antifreeze, stick a funnel in the filler neck and have someone cycle the key and listen for the fuel pump.
if that fails next step get her in a warm garage

yeah this!

Batteries FREEZE when they're at a low state-of-charge. The charger will also warm the battery from within.

A space heater blowing into/under the grill (on an extension cord) will do good. So would a 100 watt incandescent bulb under the hood with the hood closed, in whatever convenient nook you can find that shines on the battery and engine block.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Can you push it into a garage that is warm? Plug in the block heater maybe...The old timers used to drain the oil out at night and put it on a stove to keep warm.

On my 1975 Dodge Van I had to slide a Coleman camp stove under the oil pan for a few hours at -40. She fired right up after that.

I always had trouble with remote starters starting engines at extreme low temps. Not sure way that was, but I dont use them any more.

Sounds like a good way to burn the car down.
Its helpful if you're smarter than the car...

When you're 200 miles from home, and its -40 you have to think outside the box. No electricity to be had where I was. A van has high ground clearance, and the stove burner was 6 inches from the oil pan... did a great job of warming the oil/engine.

Originally Posted By: Barwich
This particular SUV has a skid plate on the front to protect the diff and the oil pan is situated above the diff. To access the oil pan for OC I have to remove the skid plate along with a second cosmetic under tray. It's PITA.

Fumoto = problem solved

There have been a lot of good suggestions so far.

One of my co-workers bought a new Mitsu Outlander a few years ago - shockingly, the vehicle was not equipped with a block heater even though it was sold here in Winterpeg. The salesman told him he didn't need one. So, there's no guarantee your vehicle has one in Alberta. (If you don't have one, a magnetic heater might be the way to go, or even an incandescent 100W bulb under the hood for a few hours.)

I agree, the rear three plugs in a DOHC transverse V6 are a pain, but I would pull the front three to see if they're sooty and/or wet with gasoline. Even just cleaning them up may get you going. About 15 years ago I got a friend's old Aerostar going by pulling & cleaning just the front two plugs. (The vehicle was frozen into a snowbank, and there was no way I could get to the other four from underneath that day. That had to wait for a couple of months.)

I had an 04 Tahoe that liked to do this from time to time when it was real cold. Pulled the fuel pump relay and cranked it till it fired then put the relay back. Took a while to run right after that and clear all the codes but it worked.

Originally Posted By: Number_35

One of my co-workers bought a new Mitsu Outlander a few years ago - shockingly, the vehicle was not equipped with a block heater even though it was sold here in Winterpeg. The salesman told him he didn't need one. So, there's no guarantee your vehicle has one in Alberta. (If you don't have one, a magnetic heater might be the way to go, or even an incandescent 100W bulb under the hood for a few hours.)

I agree, the rear three plugs in a DOHC transverse V6 are a pain, but I would pull the front three to see if they're sooty and/or wet with gasoline. Even just cleaning them up may get you going. About 15 years ago I got a friend's old Aerostar going by pulling & cleaning just the front two plugs. (The vehicle was frozen into a snowbank, and there was no way I could get to the other four from underneath that day. That had to wait for a couple of months.)

Just got back in and can confirm no block heater on her. She's also parked on the other side of the street so no way of getting a bulb inside engine bay. Waiting until tomorrow to check the front two plugs.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I can't believe OP didn't have car plugged in.

Must be new to the prairies.

Been bouncing between north BC/AB for the last 20 years. Red Deer is probably on the warmer end of the chart for the places I've lived. It's just that she started everyday this week without an issue when it was colder earlier in the week.

Originally Posted By: Number_35

One of my co-workers bought a new Mitsu Outlander a few years ago - shockingly, the vehicle was not equipped with a block heater even though it was sold here in Winterpeg. The salesman told him he didn't need one.

In one of the coldest cities in the country?
"Naw you dont need a block heater, these things start right up...just sign here..."

lol.gif

Last edited:
So Sorry, your bumper to bumper warranty service with tow service expired ten years ago along with the sparkless plugs.
Some good mechanical service goes a long ways toward being able to fire up things when the weather goes south.
Next week is more of the same [censored] with more cold. Getting the pellet and corn burning stoves a proper cleaning today and the garage bay opened for the Transit.
Service garages are liking the cold with all the vehicles that got by last year without service are going to need it now.

Is it windy there? Could you chuck some tea light candles on a cookie sheet underneath?

Sounds dumb but might be good for something.

If you do get spark plugs out hit them with a propane torch-- burn off the gas and get them "hot" before trying again.

Sometimes cold gas is just junk and doesn't atomize right, though you think you're getting a winter blend.

I don't know know why everyone is looking at electrical issues. That has nothing to do with how cold it is. I am betting you fuel line is froze. I said before during all these 0w20 arguments. Fuel will be a issue long before oil ever is. Being a long time liver in the cold parts of Pennsylvania. Iam betting you need to treat your gas with some dry gas. Sounds like a fuel issue.

Fuel pump may have been weak, cold start in the summer took 3-5 cranks.

I'm going with a bad fuel pump. You may be able to get it started by holding the pedal to floor. It sounds like you also need to charge that battery up. Don't wreck your new battery by running it down trying to start it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Black smoke would point to it being flooded, can you clear it with the pedal to the floor? Obviously let off it it catches.

I've tried to clear it with the pedal to the floor but still nothing. It may have been too flooded and not enough time for the plugs to dry out yet. The battery was also starting to weaken. If it was indeed flooded do you think I can wait it out or would I have to take the plugs out to dry? It's not going to get warmer anytime soon, forecasting -20c to -15c for the next week or so.

Yeah, get some charge in the battery and try it again. Though I do like the suggestions of pulling a plug or two to check. It should clear itself though by sitting.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

I hooked up the battery with a booster pack and tried to start her again this morning, was -21c, the engine turned fine but still nothing. Foot was on the floor with the accelerator.

A friend borrowed my Battery Tender Plus earlier this week, I have to go pick that up tonight and hook it up.

My 99 F150 starter solenoid also bit the dust this morning but I was able to jump it with a screwdriver. Going to wait for slight warmer weather before I tackle both vehicles. I think it's high of -12c for tomorrow thru Wednesday.

Funny how the wife was complaining we have too many vehicles but she's not complaining now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back