Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck.

Planning on changing it with Royal Purple HPS. Will it be better or should I stick with the Mobil 1? And how many miles can I run on it using Baldwin B2-HPG?

Thanks.

If you use the correct viscosity they will both be ok, M1 for longer change intervals or HPS for racing. Maybe 5k miles or 8k km on Baldwin filter
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
If you use the correct viscosity they will both be ok, M1 for longer change intervals or HPS for racing. Maybe 5k miles or 8k km on Baldwin filter
smile.gif

Same viscocity. I'm looking into longer change intervals and better performance.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Is it for a diesel vehicle? Does the HPS have a diesel rating? If not, stick with the TDT.

For a gas engine. The reason I used TDT is for it longer changing intervals. Thinking of changing it with HPS if it will be better than the TDT.

I don't know much about Royal Purple except it's expensive for me. The M1 TDT is a 5W40 SN and ACEA E7 oil with a TBN of 10.7

OP you are from the Philippines, can you get Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 there? It's a full synthetic (GTL) Euro long life oil with lots of good specs: SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, etc with a TBN of over 10.

If you country is anything like mine, oil wise, then the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 with be much lower in price than the RP or M1, but every bit as good in quality. Some would argue, maybe better.

I'd just go with the cheapest oil there that has BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 approval if you want long drain.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I don't know much about Royal Purple except it's expensive for me. The M1 TDT is a 5W40 SN and ACEA E7 oil with a TBN of 10.7

OP you are from the Philippines, can you get Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 there? It's a full synthetic (GTL) Euro long life oil with lots of good specs: SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, etc with a TBN of over 10.

If you country is anything like mine, oil wise, then the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 with be much lower in price than the RP or M1, but every bit as good in quality. Some would argue, maybe better.

I think the Shell is the expensive here compared to RP and M1 TDT but not much so will check that.
If I'm gonna be using Shell, what would be the ideal OCI? Reaching 6200 miles every 6 months, 50/50 City and Highway.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I'd just go with the cheapest oil there that has BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 approval if you want long drain.

Then Shell will be the oil. How long? I'm clocking 6200 miles every 6 months, 50/50 City and Highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnsio

Then Shell will be the oil. How long? I'm clocking 6200 miles every 6 months, 50/50 City and Highway.

That's the big question, how long?

You have already told us that you have 50ppm sulphur in your fuel, which is pretty good. Not sure if you have mentioned the car yet. But even if you did, you would still get a variety of answers.

Some people change their oil every 3,000 miles while other people run the Euro long life oils with big sumps and change every 20,000 miles.

So if you run a Euro long life oil, like the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 mentioned (or equivalent with BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5) then I personally would have no problem running it 12,000 miles and change it once per year. I'm sure others will differ, but lots of people in Europe do 20,000 miles and 2 years, which is a bit much for me. But 12.000 miles seems OK to me on the best oils like you are considering.

A similar question was asked in another thread, and Joe who use to make oils for a living gave the following answer.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
In concept, there's nothing wrong with extended OCIs. You only have to look at what happens on commercial trucks, where 50,000+ mile OCIs are common, to conclude it must be technically possible.

There no absolute answer to the question because max OCI depends not only in the oil itself but how you drive, the prevailing climate, your vehicle, it's age, the relative size of the sump, etc , etc.

However if you have full synthetic oil with a very low Noack with a goodly amount of add pack (and not a lot of VII) and you live in a temperate climate and drive gently with a decent percentage of highway running, then I wouldn't worry too much about running out to a 12,000 mile oil drain. You would probably be good to go to 15,000 miles but there comes a point where the balance of risk to reward says, just change the oil.

That's the big question, how long?

You have already told us that you have 50ppm sulphur in your fuel, which is pretty good. Not sure if you have mentioned the car yet. But even if you did, you would still get a variety of answers.

Some people change their oil every 3,000 miles while other people run the Euro long life oils with big sumps and change every 20,000 miles.

So if you run a Euro long life oil, like the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 mentioned (or equivalent with BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5) then I personally would have no problem running it 12,000 miles and change it once per year. I'm sure others will differ, but lots of people in Europe do 20,000 miles and 2 years, which is a bit much for me. But 12.000 miles seems OK to me on the best oils like you are considering.

A similar question was asked in another thread, and Joe who use to make oils for a living gave the following answer.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
In concept, there's nothing wrong with extended OCIs. You only have to look at what happens on commercial trucks, where 50,000+ mile OCIs are common, to conclude it must be technically possible.

There no absolute answer to the question because max OCI depends not only in the oil itself but how you drive, the prevailing climate, your vehicle, it's age, the relative size of the sump, etc , etc.

However if you have full synthetic oil with a very low Noack with a goodly amount of add pack (and not a lot of VII) and you live in a temperate climate and drive gently with a decent percentage of highway running, then I wouldn't worry too much about running out to a 12,000 mile oil drain. You would probably be good to go to 15,000 miles but there comes a point where the balance of risk to reward says, just change the oil.

Very helpful answer. Thank you so much!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Purple oil is overpriced and overrated. Stick with Mobil as it's easy to find at a reasonable price

Here in my place, they are almost price the same.

Purple oil is overpriced and overrated. Stick with Mobil as it's easy to find at a reasonable price

What's the price difference on the Shell Helix Ultra ?

The M1 TDT would be my second choice, after the SHU.

What's the price difference on the Shell Helix Ultra ?

The M1 TDT would be my second choice, after the SHU.

SHU is the expensive at 715php while TDT is at 600php.
I think SHU price here depends on where you get it. Thats the price at the gas station so maybe it will less expensive if I can find it on auto parts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back