Thinking of buying a 2013 cx-5, anyone got one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys it's trade in time for my 2009 toyota matrix. I'm eyeing a 2013 mazda cx-5 sport, 6spr manual with 55,000 miles. A quick Google search doesn't turn up many unhappy owners but I wanted to check here as I always do for new vehicle purchases. So does anyone have a cx-5 or another mazda with the same 2.0 skyactiv? I'm excited for the advertised 36 mpg highway rating since I'm a traveling boilermker. My matrix topped out at 29 mpg but it was turning 3500 rpm at 75mph on the interstate, it will be nice to,get something with a better traveling gear for sure!!! Thanks for any info in advance on the 2013 cx-5.

My daughter is coming up on 2 years with a '15 CX-5 with the 2.4 with no complaints at all, not a single issue. There were enough comments about the 2.0/AT that she went with the 2.4 motor. Have you driven the 2.0/6MT?

The 2.0 with the MT is a snooze machine.

No AC vents in the rear seat.

My mom's Mazda6 has problems with all her gadgets all the time, so avoid any of those.

Looked at the CX-3 and CX-5 today. Didn't drive them but the CX-5 seemed ok, would be my pick. The CX-3 had absolutely horrible rear seats. The CX-5 we will probably go back and test drive.

If mileage and reliability are 1 & 2 on your must have list there are probably better cars out there. We had Mazdas in the past and having spent time in daughters I'd have no problem owning a CX-5.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
My daughter is coming up on 2 years with a '15 CX-5 with the 2.4 with no complaints at all, not a single issue. There were enough comments about the 2.0/AT that she went with the 2.4 motor. Have you driven the 2.0/6MT?

It's a 2.5 engine, not a 2.4.

BC.

My coworker has a CX-5 and he loves it. If you want better MPGs and lower RPMs on the highway, have you considered a vehicle with a CVT? My Subaru does 80 mph at 2,500 rpm.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

It's a 2.5 engine, not a 2.4.

BC.

Apologies. Was thinking it was a tick smaller engine than our RAV. FWIW Consumer Reports reliability survey rates the 2013 better than the '14 or '15.

Check out the reviews on www.edmunds.com. I recall the site was not thrilled with the 2011 or 2012 versions of the CX5, but I think their issues were with the A/T version.

You should be able to get a better deal on the CX5 than you could on a CRV or a RAV4. More depreciation.

Originally Posted By: FLORIDA
Rear vents aren't a issue either.

Here in South Florida [were the a/c is on all year round] I got nothing but complaints from everyone in the rear until I got a vehicle with rear a/c. Even the 2 year old complained. Now it a pleasure on long and short trips.

My brother has a 2013 CX5, but with automatic and AWD. He's never had a single issue with it. And he is very fussy. His only complaint is the premium Bose sound system he paid extra for is mediocre at best. This vehicle is one of Mazda's better efforts, IMO. I wouldn't have reliability concerns with it, assuming it's had proper maintenance. His was made in Japan, don't know if they all were in that model year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
My coworker has a CX-5 and he loves it. If you want better MPGs and lower RPMs on the highway, have you considered a vehicle with a CVT? My Subaru does 80 mph at 2,500 rpm.

You don't get better MPGs than the CX-5 2.0L and 6spd MTX. Not even close.

Well the cx-5 was a no go. Big tear in the drivers seat and a dent on the hood. They didn't want to come off their price at all and only wanted to give me 2,000 for my toyota matrix. Ford offered 3,500 for my trade. I think I'm going to shop for a brand new vehicle for the first time in my life, new thread to follow.

I can deal with it being slow. I'm more concerned with reliability issues. Rear vents aren't a issue either.

You say that until you need the power merging into traffic. I was tired of our Explorer 2006 that was slow especially when you needed it it. The Edge Ecoboost I just bought has already shown it's superiority. The Cx-5 is known for being sloooow.

Well the cx-5 was a no go. Big tear in the drivers seat and a dent on the hood. They didn't want to come off their price at all and only wanted to give me 2,000 for my toyota matrix. Ford offered 3,500 for my trade. I think I'm going to shop for a brand new vehicle for the first time in my life, new thread to follow.

Sportwagen?
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3920262/1

As much cargo space as a CX5 - better handling, faster (vs the 2.0), yet higher MPG. Interior will feel like a more expensive car too.
VW is likely still putting out good deals, too. Just shop around. Under $19k for a S, should be doable, and it comes with plenty of features for a "base" model.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Sportwagen?
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3920262/1

As much cargo space as a CX5 - better handling, faster (vs the 2.0), yet higher MPG. Interior will feel like a more expensive car too.
VW is likely still putting out good deals, too. Just shop around. Under $19k for a S, should be doable, and it comes with plenty of features for a "base" model.

Just checked my local vw dealers website. 3 sport wagons, no manual transmissions. [censored]!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back