Head gasket in a bottle help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Chris142

If its a no go, theres nothing that says you cant just keep adding coolant. If youre in a warm area, just feed it water.

Please report back.
I have to drain it every night because it fills up a cylinder over night and won't start in the morning.

Removing a spark plug may be easier.

Have you tried any gunk yet?

Spark plug? Its a diesel and has the injectors under the valve covers. So far its not looking very promising.

Chris, its done. Does running with the cap loose help? Don't drive it out of cell phone range and carry lots of water. In your area maybe a few MREs and a blanket. good luck

I've been harvesting the sodium silicate from head gasket sealers for a while for my fly-ash geopolymer messing around, some of the sealers are really quite high in sodium silicate, which I believe is your only hope.

The stuff is water soluble, but at high temperatures forms literally a glass.

Smokey Yunick used it to reduce the heat transfer from Aluminium heads, and get them more like cast iron...you can soak a popsicle stick in it, heat it, and make a stone/fireproof stick. Farmers with calcium deficient chickens would dip the eggs in it to harden the shells (makes them airtight, and last forever nearly too).

Here's a how to (not a head gasket in a bottle product)

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Main-Gasket-With-Liquid-Glass

mentions getting the sodium silicate from the drug store.

There's a product in garden centres called potsil (it's potassium silicate), not very expensive, and K being more reactive might be better.

If you can't get sodium silicate easily, can't find a sealer with sodium silicate (check what's on offer at the parts store, and get the MSDS, it will tell you), you can make it like I ultimately ended up doing, with silica gel (cat litter gel in my case), and lye, got to be careful, but it's easily doable.

Just had a brain fert...that goop that they did cash for clunkers with was sodium silicate. With heat turned to glass on the oil side of the engine.

Do you have some of that lying around ?

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Bars has a head gasket repair in a bottle. It got me two more months out of leaky head gasket on the notorious Ford 3.8 before it blew for good and hydro-locked. Got nothing to lose by trying.
put 3 bottles in it today. We shall see how it does.

That's a lot. If that doesn't do it nothing will. Good luck.

Bars has a head gasket repair in a bottle. It got me two more months out of leaky head gasket on the notorious Ford 3.8 before it blew for good and hydro-locked. Got nothing to lose by trying.
put 3 bottles in it today. We shall see how it does.

That's a lot. If that doesn't do it nothing will. Good luck.
the truck has a 12 gallon system

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but there is one type miscible with antifreeze and another type where you have to use water.

the bars stuff says it's OK with coolant

that's the rabbit poo in the soluble oil one ?

I'm not a fan of soluble oil mixed with antifreeze, nor really the rabbit poo for head gaskets.

If not, then please ignore this post.

Update: the bars head gasket in a bottle didnt make any difference.

The guy in charge of maintenance does mot like to spend any company money. He took a vacation! The other "boss" knows the situation and as soon as the other guy was gone had me take it in to a shop to be fixed properly. They have the head off it now.

Update: the bars head gasket in a bottle didnt make any difference.

The guy in charge of maintenance does mot like to spend any company money. He took a vacation! The other "boss" knows the situation and as soon as the other guy was gone had me take it in to a shop to be fixed properly. They have the head off it now.
Management....penny wise and pound foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back