Larger diameter oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently upgraded from Baldwin BT223 to Baldwin B178 for more filtering on my 2TR-FE engine. They have the same size on o-ring gasket and outer diameter. I'm now planning on replacing it with Baldwin B2-HPG and my question is, will if fit or won't leak? Because the outer diameter is larger than the BT223 and B178 but they have the same o-ring gasket size. The length of the filter is not an issue.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have been using that size filter on my Sons 2006 Tacoma since new. I love that engine. [The Fram PH8-A size]

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
If the o-ring size and bypass pressures (if applicable) are the same, and it physically fits, have at it!

Okay, thank you!

Originally Posted By: CT8
I have been using that size filter on my Sons 2006 Tacoma since new. I love that engine. [The Fram PH8-A size]

The B2-HPG? Planning on changing to this because of its better filtration.

The BT233 has a 8 PSID bypass and the B178 has a 30 PSID bypass. I'd be weary of using the B178 due to the difference. You can use the B2-HPG as long as the gasket on this filter can make good contact with the filter base on your engine block. I have a V-6 Tacoma that has the same thread size as your engine and when I went to larger filters I had to make sure that the gasket would make contact with the mount on the engine block. There is only about a 1/4 inch of machined smooth surface to work with.

Originally Posted By: xtell
The BT233 has a 8 PSID bypass and the B178 has a 30 PSID bypass. I'd be weary of using the B178 due to the difference. You can use the B2-HPG as long as the gasket on this filter can make good contact with the filter base on your engine block. I have a V-6 Tacoma that has the same thread size as your engine and when I went to larger filters I had to make sure that the gasket would make contact with the mount on the engine block. There is only about a 1/4 inch of machined smooth surface to work with.

Does the bypass matter on a tropical climate? I think the gasket will fit because they have same size but will double check it once I got the filter.

It would matter if you had real thick oil in your engine or lived in a climate where it got real cold (it is 25 degrees Fahrenheit and snowing here in Northern Ohio). That Baldwin B2-HPG that you are going to use has a 8 PSID bypass setting which is within the proper range for your engine. I have used the Baldwin oil filters on my plow trucks and have never had a problem with them. They are a good well made filter.

Originally Posted By: xtell
It would matter if you had real thick oil in your engine or lived in a climate where it got real cold (it is 25 degrees Fahrenheit and snowing here in Northern Ohio). That Baldwin B2-HPG that you are going to use has a 8 PSID bypass setting which is within the proper range for your engine. I have used the Baldwin oil filters on my plow trucks and have never had a problem with them. They are a good well made filter.

I'm in a tropical climate country. Yes, they have the same bypass setting with the BT223. This would be a good upgrade. Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back