H7 Pigtail Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was the bulb originally, but it turned out to be the pigtail itself. It looks like a cheap replacement was used when the OEM connector failed and time and heat have not been polite to it.

Anyone have any quality replacement suggestions?

I do.

We're lucky with the H7 lamp. The blades fit perfectly into the appropriately sized female "blade connector" commonly found in solderless connector kits.

In fact, that's what was in the cheap plastic plug which burnt away. You could've crimped the female down and eliminated the buzz which raised the resistance through the roof.

My neighbor watched with interest when I crushed away the flimsy plastic, squeezed the connector down a bit, added a dab of dielectric grease and replugged his GF's lights. He hasn't had a blown out bulb since.

Inspect your terminals. The connectors might respond to what I described if they're not too brittle.
Remember, the H7's prongs stick straight out and the wires won't touch at all. Kira

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
You can pick up ceramic H7 pigtail connectors on Amazon pretty cheap.

+1.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I do.

We're lucky with the H7 lamp. The blades fit perfectly into the appropriately sized female "blade connector" commonly found in solderless connector kits.

In fact, that's what was in the cheap plastic plug which burnt away. You could've crimped the female down and eliminated the buzz which raised the resistance through the roof.

My neighbor watched with interest when I crushed away the flimsy plastic, squeezed the connector down a bit, added a dab of dielectric grease and replugged his GF's lights. He hasn't had a blown out bulb since.

Inspect your terminals. The connectors might respond to what I described if they're not too brittle.
Remember, the H7's prongs stick straight out and the wires won't touch at all. Kira

You're a genius.

I ended up making a temporary fix with a blade connector I had laying around. Not the most ideal repair, but it'll work for now and gives her 2 headlights again.

Just an update on this.. So far, my bandaid is still holding. I was at a junkyard and bought some H7 connectors out of a pre HID VW Bug for $5. It was a near head on crash and the headlights were a complete loss. Didn't feel bad hacking the wiring out of them.

I'm forever telling people to do this to H7 bulbs. Remember, even the ceramic sockets contain the female connector which will weaken with time and heat.

USE DIELECTRIC GREASE ON ALL AUTOMOTIVE BULBS! ! !

I need to do the same thing with the back end of a junkyard V70 in order to get one or two license plate lamp sockets.

If I can get spare lenses (meaning take the whole thing) I'd do that. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back