Didn't Even Know These Existed (VW Passat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I should have been more clear. A similarly sized V6, with similar displacement, makes similar power. And, many V6 engines are extremely well refined, smooth and pleasant.

VW did not have the architecture to support a 4.0l V6. The W8 came about as a part of their 6.0l W12 development. They figured, "why not stuff this into a Passat?" VW was doing a lot at the time just to see if they could... The Touareg, the Phaeton, V10tdi, W8, W12, there was a lot of creative engineering and experimenting going on under Piech.

Again, I think a big part of why they made it is to see if they could. No one else had anything similar at the time. Not many were bought because of the price, but that didn't seem to matter.

To me, part of owning a car like that is appreciating it for what it is: a unique design, an oddity.

Sure you could get a Honda Accord V6... But I never would. There's nothing special, nothing unique, nothing outrageous. The Honda is a better car... But I don't want one. I know that's not the popular opinion here, but I don't care about reliability or owning something that there are a million of.

The "real-world" advantage is that you get more cylinders in a more compact package... Beyond that, it's just freaking cool.

What's wrong with making, selling, buying, or liking something just because it's freaking cool?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Sure you could get a Honda Accord V6... But I never would. There's nothing special, nothing unique, nothing outrageous. The Honda is a better car... But I don't want one.

I truly know what you mean. Reliable, but more than a little boring. Refined and polished to the point of being numb in every way.

And, I can understand the appeal of a car that sounds good. Even so, I love driving the Tesla, without any engine sound at all. It makes up for it with stunning, super-fun acceleration!

What's wrong with making, selling, buying, or liking something just because it's freaking cool?

Nothing. If you were a teenager, then it'd be AWSUM DOODE.

Don't think I've ever been a teenager, though, and now its probably too late.

I love me some S80 V8. I'm entertaining the idea of one for my next car... Have alerts setup, have to have a '10.

Since we're way off topic, check this out:

I love me some S80 V8. I'm entertaining the idea of one for my next car... Have alerts setup, have to have a '10.

Since we're way off topic, check this out:

S80 V8? I don't recall any such engine.

That sounds more like the S85 V10, like I have in my 6-speed manual E63.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I was replying to the video posted by Lolvoguy, which was indeed a Volvo S80 V8.

Follow the thread, man.

And to get back on topic, a little VR6 Wookie action:

Can't have a VR6 clip without a little 5 cylinder love:

People hate on the 5 pot all the time, fine, more for me!

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I was replying to the video posted by Lolvoguy, which was indeed a Volvo S80 V8.

Follow the thread, man.

Well, now that makes sense. When I saw your post, it was at the top of the page for me. I was thinking there's no S80 engine designation in BMW's lineup, and that's not even a V8.. I didn't even see the Volvo S80 post before replying.

That's a lesson for me. When it's nearly 3 am, just go to sleep.
tired.gif

Last edited:
+1
Those were the real cars!!
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Come on man. Post a real Audi/VW 5-pot:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back