Opinions about Universal Technical Institute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just enrolled into UTI, Long Beach to study automotive technology and do Nissan specified training. However, I'm still hesitant whether this is a good idea in a financial sense. I love cars and love working on them, but is the schooling worth it in the end? It's a 40K investment. I keep hearing that automotive tech wages/salaries have declined over the years and it has been putting me off a little. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, auto techs/mechanics make about $40K-$45K annually in California. That's a rough number to live by in this state. I've considered studying diesel because I hear working for a diesel fleet service offers better pay. Anyone have any advice on what I should? Thanks.

Last edited:
I would enroll in a two year program in electronics and get an associates degree from a local community college. Then you can get an internship and work on the large complex machines at the hospitals. A guy on here posts about the opportunities regularly. Less wear and tear on the body. Tuition will be a fraction of the 40k.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ion#Post4254490

Last edited:
I went to UTI and my first job after graduation was with a large Caterpillar dealership rebuilding engines. If you make a real effort to get good grades and keep your attendance record perfect, you'll more than likely have a couple job offers before graduation. I did the diesel program only though.

There is a diesel mechanic (forgot his name) that works for UPS. I think he worked at a car dealership before UPS. I'm sure he can give good advice on diesel career field verses gasoline vehicle dealership mechanic.

I have a PHD in J. C. from all the Auto Tech classes I have taken over the 23 years at work to stay up with all the new tech for work. The local Junior College had an incredible program.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I would enroll in a two year program in electronics and get an associates degree from a local community college. Then you can get an internship and work on the large complex machines at the hospitals. A guy on here posts about the opportunities regularly. Less wear and tear on the body. Tuition will be a fraction of the 40k.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ion#Post4254490

Good advice that will have good opportunities in the future. I use to work in the mines on heavy equipment and had a blast but it does take a toll on the body. Horrible work conditions that were nasty and grimy to say the least so having a union did help with a living wage but you have to ask yourself was it really worth. God knows what was in the air and what will happen as you age.

Good Luck with your Future Career

welcome2.gif

Nope, don't do it. The for-profit schools are no good.

Instead, go to your local community college/vo-tech

No one I know that went to UTI/NTI/WyoTech still works on cars. The dealership experience and general lifestyle of a mechanic is not always the best.

One joined the Airforce.
One makes furniture from his garage.
One went back into the Army.
One works with me as an A&P after 4 years in the Army...

The commonality is that they all bought into what the schools sell: big bucks instantly after graduation doing what they love. What they find out is that bending wrenches at the dealership isn't what they thought it would be, nor is the money.

If you want to be a tech, you'll "make" more money getting into a dealer and busting your [censored] on the lube rack. You'll be to OEM school and making the same or more money than a tech school graduate because your employer will already know you and your work ethic. You'll be proven.

Stay educated at your community college after work.

If you go this route, you'll know whether you like the job before you're financially invested.

Best of luck.

If you are making a career choice because of how much money you will make, then it's obviously not your passion. To be good at something, you have to be passionate about it, not squabbling about money. I've often taken a drop in pay to work where I want to.

Originally Posted By: StayinGreazy
Just enrolled into UTI, Long Beach to study automotive technology and do Nissan specified training. However, I'm still hesitant whether this is a good idea in a financial sense. I love cars and love working on them, but is the schooling worth it in the end? It's a 40K investment. I keep hearing that automotive tech wages/salaries have declined over the years and it has been putting me off a little. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, auto techs/mechanics make about $40K-$45K annually in California. That's a rough number to live by in this state. I've considered studying diesel because I hear working for a diesel fleet service offers better pay. Anyone have any advice on what I should? Thanks.

Did you apply for student loan yet ?

I agree, 2 year community colleges are the best kept secret for low cost vocational training.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Nope, don't do it. The for-profit schools are no good.

Instead, go to your local community college/vo-tech

This right here. Stay away from "schools" that advertise on TV and use aggresive marketing.

If you are already questioning the log term Pay. This field might not be for you. You do know that the average pay listed might take you 10+ years or more to make!!!!! If you are dead set on going. I would focus on the diesel/fleet side of things and get a college degree!! But long term in this field does come at a cost on the body too. Is there high paying jobs out there? YUP but they are few and far in between and ultra competitive. My current job I make about the top 1% in this field and 2 years at UTI/5 plus years experience would not of even gotten you a interview.

Originally Posted By: Silk
If you are making a career choice because of how much money you will make, then it's obviously not your passion. To be good at something, you have to be passionate about it, not squabbling about money. I've often taken a drop in pay to work where I want to.

I decided to try engineering because I got accepted--figured I could fall back to a 2 year degree, if necessary. Wanted to be an auto mechanic but figured electronics paid better. Did poorly for a couple years, got better, have had a good job as a result. Some days I'd like to make it "had" but I suspect I have another good decade to build my nest egg, then I can do whatever I want to transition into.

Some days I love it, others... not as much. Once I get life "paid off" (retirement funded, house paid off, kids through college) I'm going to take stock of life again. By then the field will have greatly changed, and it likely won't be as fun as it once was. Which will be ok by me, 25-30 years of doing the same thing is a bit of a long time.

I think they are for profit institution. Get OUT as fast as possible! Education field (higher) is my job and trust me, for profit schools should be on trial for a treason.
Go to local community college.

Don't do it. I did it, graduated the Chicagoland campus back in '05. While yes, you WILL get a great automotive education - you'll leave there with a completion certificate that nobody cares about. It's not an accredited university. I strongly suggest finding a community college with a STRONG automotive program, especially if they have some sort of performance or racing program that places people with actual teams (Lanier Tech here does that, there are multiple graduates who have gone on to work with ALMS, GT, FIA etc teams around the world).

That way, if you ever decide not to work in the automotive repair field - you'll have an associates degree to put on your resume, and people WILL care about that.

Originally Posted By: StayinGreazy
Just enrolled into UTI, Long Beach

If you've already enrolled, then it's a bit late to be asking opinions now, isn't it?

Don't do it if it's not your passion.

The biggest thing right now is actually security. If you can find a school that offers internet security courses, major in that. It is the future and there currently is not enough of them.

As soon as I get my Bachelor's of Science in Software Engineering in the spring, I'm going to get my masters somewhere in Security. Haven't looked yet where to go, but I think that would be a great place to start at a community college or something for you (if that's what you wanted to do).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back