Tips on a clean oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, everybody this is what I have. The Flo-tool I am talking about I didn't spend $70 on, just $10, this is it: http://www.sears.com/hopkins-oil-drain-p...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds Its the drain pan. I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer and 2004 Ford Explorer SportTrac. I also have funnels and a second drainpan I bought when do oil changes on small gas engines and its convienent to use to put under the oil filter. The issue I have is that when taking the drain plug out, the doesn't always get completely in the drainpan.

Yeah, it always ticks me off when the vehicle design places the oil filter where it spills on suspension parts or frame components. The right type of funnel under an oil filter can help, but most of use are too stubborn or lazy to use one.

I'm now using Fumoto valves on my three vehicles, so I'm looking forward to more convenience and less mess.

Originally Posted By: NH73
Ok, everybody this is what I have. The Flo-tool I am talking about I didn't spend $70 on, just $10, this is it: http://www.sears.com/hopkins-oil-drain-p...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds Its the drain pan. I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer and 2004 Ford Explorer SportTrac. I also have funnels and a second drainpan I bought when do oil changes on small gas engines and its convienent to use to put under the oil filter. The issue I have is that when taking the drain plug out, the doesn't always get completely in the drainpan.

Ah, it looks like oil would bounce right off the top of that thing and splatter all over. Something like what bubbatime suggested should work a lot better. I use a rectangular pan like this. The large, deep catching area seems to work well.

zsPLKtn.jpg

A lot of good suggestions.

Here's one that hasn't been made. If you have a cartridge filter up top, refill in that hole which is larger and can be more accessible. Just did that yesterday.

If you have got to get under the car for the filter, then Fumoto direct into disposal container beats the Mityvac. And if you have got to get under the car for the filter, then use a FRAM Ultra and run it for 2 or more ocis. Lastly, heavy duty foil or several sheets of foil or a flexible funnel can help with awkwardly placed oil filters. Or you could drill a hole through and drain the oil filter.

That big roll of foil from Costco is freaking awesome - no more bunched up foil ...

I decided in doing my own oil change and the last 2 times I had a mess. I use one of those Flo-tools. Any advice or tips for a clean oil change?

Not sure what a Flo tool is, but if you use an oil change pump with an integral pump out can and don't change the oil filter until the max recommended OFI, it makes a real big difference.
Most of the used oil mess occurs when changing the filter. It's also possible to make a mess topping up with new oil if you don't have a real good funnel unit, or reversable electric oil pump.

PS: Just got the link for Flo to work and that pan looks good.

Last edited:
The issue I have is that when taking the drain plug out, the doesn't always get completely in the drainpan.

Each car is different. You just have to do trial and error and with experience and see where/how the oil will come out.
It also depends on the orientation of the car like if it is on a completely horizontal or needs a jack.

Probably messy for once or twice but that is just the name of the game.

I use a packing blanket as a groundcloth.
I use an open style catch pan with spout (pictured earlier in this thread). The ones with that "flat surface" (pictured later in this thread) seem ridiculous to me.
I use a PIG Form-A-Funnel (gift from brother) under filters which I just crack loose.
Let 'em drain slowly in a controlled manner.
I had a very upright, 2 gallon paint pail which, as mentioned above, contained all splatters. I used it until the steel it was made from sprung a leak (not at a seam).

Remember to reposition your body if need be so your hands approach the plug etc. the right way. May people are immobile and inflexible. Our bodies have joints, y'know.

I've used the aluminum foil technique on difficult changes to direct the mess into the pan.

Get rid of that flo tool or cut out the "top" so oil doesn't splash everywhere.

If you really need a bigger target, get a plastic cement tub from home depot ($13, dog not included)). Use funnels to transfer the used oil to a suitable used oil transport container.

8dcbef89-4f6c-406e-987e-87e5e2a6c6ad_1000.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kira

I use an open style catch pan with spout (pictured earlier in this thread). The ones with that "flat surface" (pictured later in this thread) seem ridiculous to me.

The rectangular pan isn't as flat as it looks in the picture. The surface is a bit of an inverted pyramid so that when oil hits it bounces toward the middle and flows down to and through the two holes shown. I also like it because

- I drop the drain bolt on it and it doesn't sink to the bottom like it would with a deep catch pan.
- It's not very tall--easier to fit under the car or motorcycle.

Works well, I swear!
smile.gif

I can do a really clean change about half of the time.
Other than that, I just try not to make too much of a mess.
Experience with any given vehicle will usually lead to cleaner drains.
An empty can of some kind to catch the oil filter might be helpful as is laying multiple sheets of newspaper under the drain pan extending out some distance to catch any oil that goes farther than you had anticipated when you placed the pan.
You will most likely get dirty yourself, so you just have to deal with that.
I'm not a user of either extraction pumps or magic drain valves and really can't recommend either.

My driveway is dirt. So I know I will get dirty. I have a set of coveralls I use for working on the car. Keeps most of the crud off me. I'll put down cardboard, but still, it's dirt.

I buy boxes of disposable gloves too, and keep a roll of paper towels handy.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
With a Fumoto and a plastic hose, there is no way to make a mess unless you tried to

Filterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Well if you want to change the filter also, take a nail and hammer and punch a hole in in the bottom of the filter let it drain. Also you can buy a 5x7 plastic tarp at the hardware store for like $1.99. Lay that down and it can be re-used over and over. Catches all splash.

I've inspired you twice now. The other being your oft' viewed yellow handled crimper tutorial at GJ!

I've had the exact same drain pan for at least 15 years, used on 20+ vehicles, and have no issues.
full-4879-1428-2x.jpg

Just figure out how the oil is going to come out and move the pan there and then remove the drain plug. You ay have to move it some once it starts dripping. Also make sure you flip open the vent cap first (the yellow one) so oil drains in better.
I have even done a few transmission pan drops using the same pan (but usually make a mess).

As suggested before, you could get a Fumoto drain valve with a nipple attachment to use a drain tube with, but your looking at $25 for each vehicle (but I find it worth it, but I don't have the nipple version).
You could also get an extractor and remove the oil from the top.

As for filters, it just depends on the vehicle. Wife's scion is simple, no mess removeal, just put the pan under the filter, loosen it, let it drip out for 30 seconds or so, then remove.
The truck is a mess no matter what. Cross member is right under the filter and drips all over (even though there is a metal piece that Ford put on to try to help, but does not).

i use a drain valve on my Cummins engines, my wifes Civic, just normal. then i use a plastic ziplock bag around the filter. no mess... like none.
Same with my 11 ford ranger. i'm not sure about other makes n what not. but this method has always been clean way for me... just make sure the zip lock back is of sufficient size for the filter.

MDW takes her Camry to Valvoline. I've had the same model car for 20 yrs. I drive the 528e up on 2 short 2x6s. I have a 17 mm socket and ratchet and a drain pan. I can take the last few turns by hand on the drain with the pan in place. I've only changed the oil in the Rat twice. The first time, I bought a 10$ wrench to get the filter off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back