Battery replace warranty cover leakage of gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On August 13, 2013 I bought a new 85 month genuine Subaru battery for the Forester and let the Subaru dealer install it since the car was in for an unrelated TSB issue at the time. Had a 25% off coupon for OEM Subaru battery and free install, made the cost slightly less than a parts store battery.

I think it's developed some battery gas leakage because the (+)terminal keeps having that white-green powder build up. This past summer was first it did it and I cleaned it up with a fine wire brush, finished with spray-on foaming battery terminal cleaner.

Noticed slightly slower than normal cranking recently, checked and sure enough the residue build-up has started again.

My question is, will this be covered by the pro-rated warranty, i.e. is the gas leakage that causes this considered a defect/failure or is it considered "normal wear and tear"?

This is month #40 out of 85 on the warranty.

Well if their warranty works like most of them, you will probably owe as much as just going out and buying a new battery. BUT, ask them and see. If it isn't reasonable or can't warranty, try taking the cables OFF and cleaning the cables and post and try again. And when I say clean, I mean SCRAPE the inside of the cable clamp, and the outside of the post till it shines.

Usually you can coat the terminals with some type of battery terminal protection spray. It's normal wear and tear on a lead acid battery. You'd have better luck with an AGM battery as those don't tend to vent hydrogen gas when charging like a regular battery. You could also get the alternator tested, as high charging currents causes venting of hydrogen gas. They'd probably load test the battery and won't replace unless it fails the test. You might want to check the water level if you can on the battery.

Some batteries do this more than others. My 4 yr old OE Honda battery (JCI) has just started fuzzing around the (+) terminal. The volts & CCA are still good so I'll just clean it periodically.

Noco makes a kit they carry it at Walmart P/N MC101, it costs a little under $3. It contains two felt washers that fit over the terminals,they provide a barrier against acid fumes that seep through improperly sealed batteries. The kit also contains a spray on corrosion inhibitor that protects the cable connectors. You can learn more at their website https://noco-thenococompany.netdna-ssl.c...rs-packaged.jpg I had a similar situation on my 2006 Milan, the washers and inhibitor kept my terminals clean for 3 years until I sold it. Also if you don't feel comfortable disconecting your battery the felt washers can be cut.

It is not normal at all, unless its an Exide or JCI....(they all seem to leak at the post) You have a wet post and I would take it back. If you clean it off then they wont be able to diagnose a wet post. A good battery has dry posts and does not corrode. Those felt washers people buy are not needed for a good battery.

I have had 12 year old Varta batteries and never a spot of corosion

Last edited:
Their computer will figure it out but usually they are using this formula:
it is on month no 40, with 85 month warranty so the price you pay is 40 divided by 85 times the price of battery.
So, you have to pay a little less than half of its new price.

Last edited:
LOL at all these battery threads!

All batteries vent gas. You're facing an uphill battle to get a 3 year old battery replaced with any kind of warranty, especially if it will pass a load test.

Clean terminals with water and baking soda solution. Apply some kind of grease around the base of the posts. DONT overnighten the terminals. Continue using battery. Replace it when it won't pass a load test. AAP seems to always have significant discount codes.

Batteries produce gas when charging. They vent (unless agm). What they shouldn't do is vent and corrode at a terminal.

The install may have been torqued too hard. For whatever reason ive also seen this more on toyotas. Perhaps due to the voltage regulator setup?

Id clean both sides and coat the terminal to plastic case interface with dielectric grease.

A load test would likely indicate no issue; unless you have reason to believe a fully charged battery wont pass a load test, I doubt youll get a cost effective replacement.

I just had a big issue with NAPA over the battery they sold me in August of 2014 for my 2010 Impala. The starter wasn't cranking properly so I tested the battery and it failed the load test. NAPA wanted to charge me $63.00 for a new battery of the same quality. I went to Costco and bought an Interstate battery for $90.00 with a better warranty and higher CCA's. I'm done with NAPA batteries. The Subaru dealer will probably do the same thing to you on prorating the remaining warranty on your battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back